WHAT'S IT FOR? Target shopper slams ‘new surcharge fee on every item she bought at self-checkout’ and demands answers

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
TikTok user Holly Teska shared a video showing her bill with an additional 2.5 percent surcharge fee added on for every item.

Every item purchased had a small 'public improvement fee' added

The flight attendant's clip, which quickly went viral, revealed how Target charged her a "public improvement fee" on every item she purchased at a branch in Colorado.

In the video, which has been viewed more than 360,000 times, Holly says: "You guys, things are getting out of control right now."

She said she had to share her "experience" after leaving Target because she wasn't sure if it was just her who had seen the practice.

Holly said: "So, I was purchasing my items, checking out in the self-checkout, and I noticed that there was a new public improvement fee, which was 2.5 percent per item."

[clip]

But others pointed out that the fee was nothing to do with Target, and was instead imposed on the branch by the landlord leasing the site to them.

"It's not a Target thing. The PIF is implemented by the owner of the land and building not the leaser. Just more greed passed onto us," they wrote.

The U.S. Sun has approached Target for comment.

A public improvement fee (PIF) is a surcharge that developers may require their tenants to collect on sales transactions to pay for on-site improvements.

It operates like a sales tax, but instead of being collected by the government, it is collected by a third-party administrator hired by the owner of the site.

This money isn't taken by Target in this case, but by the property developer or landlord, and may be used to pay for everything from curbs and sidewalks, storm management systems, sanitary sewer systems, public street lighting, and road and bridge development.

Kinnakeet

TikTok user Holly Teska shared a video showing her bill with an additional 2.5 percent surcharge fee added on for every item.

Every item purchased had a small 'public improvement fee' added'public improvement fee' added

The flight attendant's clip, which quickly went viral, revealed how Target charged her a "public improvement fee" on every item she purchased at a branch in Colorado.

In the video, which has been viewed more than 360,000 times, Holly says: "You guys, things are getting out of control right now."

She said she had to share her "experience" after leaving Target because she wasn't sure if it was just her who had seen the practice.

Holly said: "So, I was purchasing my items, checking out in the self-checkout, and I noticed that there was a new public improvement fee, which was 2.5 percent per item."

[clip]

But others pointed out that the fee was nothing to do with Target, and was instead imposed on the branch by the landlord leasing the site to them.

"It's not a Target thing. The PIF is implemented by the owner of the land and building not the leaser. Just more greed passed onto us," they wrote.

The U.S. Sun has approached Target for comment.

A public improvement fee (PIF) is a surcharge that developers may require their tenants to collect on sales transactions to pay for on-site improvements.

It operates like a sales tax, but instead of being collected by the government, it is collected by a third-party administrator hired by the owner of the site.

This money isn't taken by Target in this case, but by the property developer or landlord, and may be used to pay for everything from curbs and sidewalks, storm management systems, sanitary sewer systems, public street lighting, and road and bridge development.
Would this not be included in Targets lease..It sounds like more greed to me and I will wager the leaser is a democrat backer

glhs837

Power with Control
Would this not be included in Targets lease..It sounds like more greed to me and I will wager the leaser is a democrat backer

Yeah, this seems like a great reason to shop elsewhere.

OccamsRazor

Aren't these things paid for by taxes? So, Target is passing along it's tax burden on to the shopper. Then, both Target and the shopper are taxed on that tax.
Ridiculous!!

glhs837

Power with Control
Aren't these things paid for by taxes? So, Target is passing along it's tax burden on to the shopper. Then, both Target and the shopper are taxed on that tax.
Ridiculous!!

Not the things in question. Paving and lights and singage in the shopping center are paid for by the developer that owns it. Think First Colony or Expedition/Exploration. Those are not public roads in there.

Grumpy

So Target is passing down property/infrastructure charges at the behest of the developer or is the developer charging Target, who decided to pass that charge onto the customer..

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
So Target is passing down property/infrastructure charges at the behest of the developer or is the developer charging Target, who decided to pass that charge onto the customer..

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

It is part of what is called triple net: Triple net lease (NNN) is normally a commercial lease where the lessee pays rent and utilities as well as three other types of property expenses: insurance, maintenance, and taxes. Which includes common area maintenance fees. These charges can also, in addition too, be applied to all sales that exceed a certain amount. There are commercial landlords in Calvert, probably St. Mary's and all other counties as well, that will charge to a bushiness that occupies a rented space, an additional 10% fee on actual sales when businesses sales exceeds as certain threshold amount, determined in advance and at the signing of the lease. So, say, if a business has sales above $100,000, all sales after will be subject to that 10% charge. And, these lease management companies also have the right to inspect the books of these businesses anytime they please to verify compliance. I'm sure with Target though, and the amount of sales volume they do, this percentage amount is much lower, which is probably that 2.5% additional to whatever the sales threshold amount is set.

What Target here is doing, instead of absorbing this cost of doing business, or raising goods prices to reflect this amount, is simply passing it on directly to the consumer, while lying by omission that it is the landlord doing the charging. It is nothing but greed on the part of Target.

It is not a developer doing this. It is the lease management company that drew up the lease that Target signed. Target knew from the very beginning that these charges were in the lease language. They just decided to screw their customers by directly passing on to them the charge.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
So it's not a self checkout thing, the people at the cash registers are paying the same thing it's just not so "in your face".