• I like it here.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I love it here.

Votes: 20 34.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
G

giggles04

I love it here... granted I've never lived anywhere else... but I know I'll never leave... and if I did... the old saying would come true... you may leave but you'll always come back

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Uh ST - you are an IDIOT.
I posted about the Sheetz, but that would and could happen anywhere. Don't make ASSumptions on my behalf.
I personally love St. Mary's County. I am a transplant. I have also had the opportunity to have lived and visited almost all the US, and some foreign countries as well. I'm educated, literate, a Kennedy Center supporter, go to ballets, operas, museums, and demolition derbys, have a job and most of my original teeth. And when I finally moved to St. Mary's County, I took a deep breathe and realized I am finally home. The majority of people that I have met have been wonderful. Being single with no family in the area, I have been invited to all kinds of holiday activities with no obligations, been accepted by others, learned to eat crabs properly and even how to run a trot line. I have found I am close to everything, yet far enough away to relax. I have never had a problem with a true local. Sure there have been "problems" but they would and could exist anywhere.

Vince

I think I said this in a thread yesterday, but I'll say it again. I love it here. Came here in 1975 when I joined the Navy. The only thing on 235 North of the Base was trees and a few houses. Watched this place just grow and grow over the years. You have great fishing, boating, hunting, beaches, and the weather is normally good. Admittedly traffic has increased about 10 times what it was back then, but if everyone would just get a motorcycle it would definitely help aleviate even that problem. Life here is good. Could use a few more single women over the age of 40.:biggrin:

F

Flo

I can't put a lot of states down, as I haven't lived outside of the state of Maryland, except for Alexandria Virginia in 1969. :biggrin:

I have visited Florida, New York, Ohio, Alabama, West Virginia and Pennsylvania. I always enjoyed the visits, but was so glad to get back to Southern Maryland.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by migtig
Uh ST - you are an IDIOT.
I posted about the Sheetz, but that would and could happen anywhere. Don't make ASSumptions on my behalf.

Yes dear, I know it was you. And there was no assumption made. I simply said people complain on here about all kinds of things, that being just one of them. But lets be COMPLETELY honest here, shall we? If that had been me, Mr. SmallTown, who posted the long rant about sheetz, guess what the response would be? "Leave if you don't like it!" But someone else posts it, and its just another day in paradise. We all see the exact same things in terms of somd, we just draw different conclusions. That's all.

But, as far as sheetz. I started using WaWa when they opened there, and I use WaWa here. Not a problem at either location. Didn't have issues with sheetz there on the corner of 235 except for the paper running out of the receipt thingy, and lines to get gas once or twice. but the location sucked in terms of getting in and out, especially during rush hour, which is why I went to WaWa.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by Surf City Baby
Hmm... I started this thread, and posted the poll, and I've posted nothing that's anything like what you suggest, ST. Are you mistaken? If not, perhaps you can point out that I have done so. Thanks.

Surf through just about any other thread which discusses somd. You'll see what I'm talking about.

Blondie76

Hey all,

I said it's okay here. I live in Waldorf now. I have pretty much grown up here and most of my family (on my mom's side) live here. I use to live in VA when I was younger, but would always come to Waldorf on weekends and holidays to visit my grandparents who lived in Pinefield. When I was younger I thought the Wig Wam bakery was an extremely long drive from Pinefield. I remember when there was no mall and lots of trees. Now Waldorf has become a traffic nightmare and and overabundance of restaurants and real estate. All and all, it's okay to live here. :smile:

F

Flo

Originally posted by Blondie76
Hey all,

I said it's okay here. I live in Waldorf now. I have pretty much grown up here and most of my family (on my mom's side) live here. I use to live in VA when I was younger, but would always come to Waldorf on weekends and holidays to visit my grandparents who lived in Pinefield. When I was younger I thought the Wig Wam bakery was an extremely long drive from Pinefield. I remember when there was no mall and lots of trees. Now Waldorf has become a traffic nightmare and and overabundance of restaurants and real estate. All and all, it's okay to live here. :smile:

I remember when Wigwam Bakery was Wigwam Restaurant with the buffet and slots.:biggrin:

Surf City Baby

Originally posted by Blondie76
LOL - i'm not complaining, it's nice to have a variety. It just seems like we have a lot of restaurants.

Where?

Maybe I don't get out much, but I haven't found one good non-chain restaurant (and I avoid the national chains altogether). The new Mexico Restaurant on 301 at 228 isn't bad. It's the closest I've been able to find to decent Mexican food for nearly three years. :bandit:

(We went to La Toltecas once, after hearing many people rave about it. I was encouraged when we arrived because we had to stand outside in line for about 45 minutes. It was the worst "Mexican" food I'd ever had. At least the beer was cold.)
:cheers:

Blondie76

Surf - you asking where are there good restaurants?

Well I usually hang out at Uno's but that's just for the beer :cheers:

I like eating at Chili's they have a really good chicken salad and I like there Presidente Margarita:martini:

Ok, ok, so I don't eat at the restaurants much, mostly drinkin:biggrin:

watercolor

yeah yeah
I'm curious. I'm a native Californian, have lived in Charles Co. for less than three years. Other than a good case of culture shock, which I'm just about over, I find nothing wrong with the area.

I too am a Californian....and live in St mary's county. I had culture shock like crazy.. took a while.. but I too got over it. I dont see anything wrong with the area either. It grows on ya.

WELCOME to Maryland Surf!

Where in cali are ya from.. southern or northern...

Toxick

Splat
Re: Re: what's your opinion?

Originally posted by watercolor23
I too am a Californian....and live in St mary's county. I had culture shock like crazy.. took a while..

What exactly is culture shock? I've heard this phrase bandied about pretty much my entire life, but I've never experienced it. I started off in Baltimore (Charm City, hon!), and when I came down here, there was more trees than I was used to, and I was concerned about hitting animals, but other than that there was not too much of an adjustment - certainly nothing that could be described as shock! :eek:

When I went to NoCal, It was not that dissimilar from Baltimore. Or, say Glen Bernie.

I'm just wondering, basically, what are the symptoms of "Culture Shock"?

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Where?

Maybe I don't get out much, but I haven't found one good non-chain restaurant (and I avoid the national chains altogether).

You just answered your own question. There are an overabundance of chain restaurants. Almost all of which have been built in the last 15 years, since the mall went in.

watercolor

yeah yeah
Re: Re: Re: what's your opinion?

Originally posted by Toxick
What exactly is culture shock? I've heard this phrase bandied about pretty much my entire life, but I've never experienced it. I started off in Baltimore (Charm City, hon!), and when I came down here, there was more trees than I was used to, and I was concerned about hitting animals, but other than that there was not too much of an adjustment - certainly nothing that could be described as shock! :eek:

When I went to NoCal, It was not that dissimilar from Baltimore. Or, say Glen Bernie.

I'm just wondering, basically, what are the symptoms of "Culture Shock"?

No no no. What we mean by culture shock is this stated as-

Being in an area where, there is nothing to do within an arms length..(sounds like a spoiled brat I know), more rural...less traffic...driving is different....it really is a different atmopshere here than california- not better or worse, just different...but the same would be for wherever you go...seeing as if you come from cali to alabama or from North Dakota to Florida. Not to mention the climate here a huge difference.

60 degree christmas times were a norm there...

Nothing bad..just different :smile:

Surf City Baby

Re: Re: what's your opinion?

Originally posted by watercolor23
WELCOME to Maryland Surf! Where in cali are ya from.. southern or northern...

I'm from Surf City, USA, baby.... :guitar:

Huntington Beach (Orange County) roughly halfway between L.A. :boo: and San Diego. :clap:

Thanks for the welcome. :thewave:

demsformd

I love it here. It really hurt me when I was living in California and Montgomery County. Born here and I am gonna die here.

watercolor

yeah yeah
Re: Re: Re: what's your opinion?

I'm from Surf City, USA, baby.... :guitar:

Huntington Beach (Orange County) roughly halfway between L.A. :boo: and San Diego. :clap:

Thanks for the welcome. :thewave:

Yeap yeap! I know where its at. I was in SD! In the mira mesa area....:clap: