Wheelchair accessible services?

Jessalynn

Are there dental service providers and/or vision service providers available in Southern Maryland for non-weight bearing, wheelchair-bound seniors? Thank you.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I thought it was a state/federal law that they all had to be accessible? Is that not the case?

Jessalynn

I thought it was a state/federal law that they all had to be accessible? Is that not the case?
Maybe I worded wrong. If someone is wheelchair-bound and non-weight bearing, and cannot get into a chair without being lifted and placed there - how do they receive dental and vision care?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Maybe I worded wrong. If someone is wheelchair-bound and non-weight bearing, and cannot get into a chair without being lifted and placed there - how do they receive dental and vision care?
Have you called around?

PeoplesElbow

Vision shouldn't be a problem, is getting onto a dentist chair that hard? I get my mom in the examination chairs.

Guessing they wear diapers? The toilet is more difficult than a dentist chair to get on.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

I'm guessing if they're that immobile they'd have a caregiver who would assist them. The people at the office probably wouldn't be able to do it because of liability issues.

Jessalynn

I'm guessing if they're that immobile they'd have a caregiver who would assist them. The people at the office probably wouldn't be able to do it because of liability issues.
Yes - this is the issue. She cannot stand. She is a minimum two-person assist. No one will lift her, and she cannot step up. We can’t find a dentist that can work on her in her chair. I’m calling around trying to find a vision service provider because she needs her glasses replaced.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Not sure where you are but if you're in Lex Park area call Pearle Vision and ask if they can examine her in her chair. I see no reason why they couldn't. Also call St. Mary's Dental in Mechanicsville and if they can't examine her they'll likely know who can.

I recommend those two because I know the doctors personally, but really any eye doctor or dentist should be able to help you.