When The Left Cannot Control The Narrative

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The Folly of Pandemic Censorship

Earlier this week, in the latest in a series of scolding campaigns, a Britain-based group called the Center for Countering Digital Hate gave a sneak peek at a research report on Substack to The Guardian and The Washington Post. Both outlets came out with their scare pieces this morning. From The Guardian:

A group of vaccine-skeptic writers are generating revenues of at least $2.5m (£1.85m) a year from publishing newsletters for tens of thousands of followers on the online publishing platform Substack, according to new research…
Imran Ahmed, chief executive of CCDH, said companies like Substack were under “no obligation” to amplify vaccine skepticism and make money from it. “They could just say no…”

The Post, citing “some misinformation experts” — the pandemic version of “people familiar with the matter” — added:

These newer platforms cater to subscribers who seek out specific content that accommodates their viewpoints — potentially making the services less responsible for spreading harmful views, some misinformation experts say.

If these stories sound familiar, it’s because this same Center for Countering Digital Hate two years ago tried to pull the same stunt with The Federalist, using NBC to ask Google to crack down on them. Humorously, and typically — this happens a lot with these stories — that effort ended in fiasco. The piece NBC ended up writing boasting of the success of its “Verification Unit” in getting the site demonetized, entitled, “Google bans two websites from its ad platform over protest articles,” turned out to itself be misinformation. The Federalist was never banned, only warned, and the issue was its comments section, not its articles. Google had to issue a statement:
https://twitter.com/Google_Comms/status/1272997425821540352?s=20

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Vaccine fanatics say the darnedest things

The public health authorities are MAD.

The bluecheck media types are even MADDER.

I am much more powerful than I thought.

My four-minute-appearance last night on Tucker Carlson has disrupted the heretofore incredibly successful Covid vaccine experiment. The good folks of America were lined up patiently for their boosters, or their double-boosters, or the super-duper-special-Omicron booster (coming soon, from Pfizer, in cherry flavor!). Then they heard me and threw off their coats and dove into the sea.

It was mass formation psychosis! Or double-secret hypnosis! Or something.

And I all I had to do to destroy America was tell Tucker (with complete accuracy) about the incredible rise in Covid infections and hospitalizations in highly vaccinated countries, and the evidence mRNA vaccines will not work against Omicron. You are getting very sleepy…

And Elizabeth Dwoskin of the Washington Post steps in it

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fd2b5d907-b437-4fbe-a4fd-7ccdcba73cdd_1170x2532.png

Looks like the Washington Post is not satisfied with today’s hit piece

I didn’t think the Post could get much worse, but emailing me at 9:43 pm to ask for comment for a story that is clearly already written is another low.
Note that the reporter makes no reference to the accuracy of any of the data I present (the politifact link is to an article that is months old) because doing so might contradict her thesis.
And these bluechecks wonder why no one respects or trusts their work.
By the way: “Hi Alex” is the cherry on top, sloppy and meretricious at once - are we friends? Because this doesn’t sound like a very friendly story.

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F0def1de2-94f5-4c3c-8289-b23621fdf2df_1170x1872.jpeg

SamSpade

I remember years ago, to "disrespect" someone who was CLEARLY constantly busting your chops, ridiculing and threatening you - was considered gross manners to the person being "disrespected". And here I was, thinking it meant to withhold or otherwise refuse to give respect to someone who deserved it.

Now - "misinformation" is, basically, any position on an issue that differs from your own.

Because, see, if I planned to call something "misinformation", I would at least CHECK to see if it was true or false.
When my kid tells me it's gonna snow tomorrow, I don't tell them they are LYING, or spreading misinformation.

I check to see if it's true. And I check more than one source. And I look at the data and compare with my experience.
And I shrug and say "we'll see, because it sure looks a lot more like rain".

My skepticism doesn't mean I am stupid or believe extremist fools. I'm doubtful because, it ain't my first rodeo.
We've all been down the road where school gets cancelled the day before a storm and find that the roads never suffered at all.

Hijinx

This woman does not sound like a WAPO reporter.
She seems to rely on facts unlike the rest of them.
I predict she won't be there much longer.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Now - "misinformation" is, basically, any position on an issue that differs from your own.

Exactly. True or false doesn't matter anymore, and there damn sure won't be any discussion of it. Here's the narrative, follow it exactly and don't question it or we'll come after you.

Reactions: BOP

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Because, see, if I planned to call something "misinformation", I would at least CHECK to see if it was true or false.

No The Authortarians are the SOLE Arbiters of Truth ....... anything else is mis information

Reactions: BOP

SamSpade

Exactly. True or false doesn't matter anymore, and there damn sure won't be any discussion of it. Here's the narrative, follow it exactly and don't question it or we'll come after you.
The other day some TV show said something about shaking your booty - and wife and I - with the kids in the room - started singing
"Shake, Shake, Shake ...Shake, Shake, Shake - shake your booty - shake your BOOO-ty".

Youngest said you guys just made that up, that's not a real song. "And we BOTH KNOW IT?".
So, SmartTV, went straight to YouTube and played it.

She was STILL skeptical.

When my parents did stuff like that, I usually wanted to find out - I didn't tell them they were wrong.
Just like when Frank Perdue mentioned that plucked chickens are yellow and not white and posed "You'll wonder where the yellow went..." and my parents laughed and continued (in unison) "when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent".