Where are the best crab cakes?

Bertha Venation

Originally posted by vraiblonde
They do theirs with lump crabmeat instead of that backfin crap. Very little binder. :yum:
That's how Mike's does them. The first time I ordered them, I, the Great Eater, thought, "just two crab cakes? Stingy." They were so rich I couldn't finish the second one. Darn Mike's anyway for being in VA.

Stoney's it is!!

Otter

Nothing to see here
Did I say STONEYS???? I am not one to promote restaurants, services and such...BUT...there is a huge difference in Stoney's crab cakes over any other crab cake I have ever had. When they first opened in Broomes Island, I really expected a slow change to more filler, less crab, but they have stayed consistant since day one....and unless you have a big appetite, the smaller crab cake is more than enough to fill you. Pricey, but worth it..

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by Bertha Venation
"just two crab cakes? Stingy."
They give you one at Stoney's but it's the size of a softball. They also have a steak sandwich that's out of this world.

tipsy mcgee

Always thirsty
Vrail, I've never been to Stoney's, no. It's not that I don't like crab cakes, I've eaten tons of them, but it's just not my first choice when going to a restaurant. I generally only get them when they're on a platter or if they're crab balls on an appetizer sampler or something. I'd just rather have fish, scallops or shrimp.

Jolly, PM that recipe if you want. I've got a good one, but I'll take a look. Crab dip around here is generally not a big portion and usually served in that little silver tray. A ripoff, IMO. If you're ever in OC and go to Smitty McGee's, their crab dip is huge and served in a bread bowl. They also have crab fries -- fries with crab dip on top and loads of melted cheese. Best I've ever had.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by tipsy mcgee
it's just not my first choice when going to a restaurant.
Mine either. I like real meat, not some bready meat patty thing. The only place they're my first choice is at Stoney's.

I only like the crab dip I make at home because it's more meat than creamy stuff. Restaurants that are stingy with the good stuff irritate me. I'd rather pay more for GOOD crab dip than less for mayonnaise and cream cheese.