Where to buy chicks?

nebeno

Hello, I've found a few people selling chicks on Craigslist, and of course have looked at the big commercial shippers. Just curious what other people's experiences have been. I would prefer to just buy local (I'm in Lexington Park). I've been looking at Rhode Island Reds, but would consider a few others depending on what's available. Thanks.

cricketmd

Hello, I've found a few people selling chicks on Craigslist, and of course have looked at the big commercial shippers. Just curious what other people's experiences have been. I would prefer to just buy local (I'm in Lexington Park). I've been looking at Rhode Island Reds, but would consider a few others depending on what's available. Thanks.

Check out the Farmer's Market in Charollote Hall, they are mostly all RIR or a RIR mix and cheap and have all been healthy from all the ones I've boought from them over the years. :yay:

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I'm pretty sure buying & selling chicks is illegal except in Las Vegas. Better be careful pal.

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Nothing is hotter than chicks with guns...

Attachments

• chicks with guns.jpg
    chicks with guns.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 143

BeenSpur'd

I love her wild,wild hair

Stauffers Feed Mill on rt. 5 in Loveville ( across the road from Third Base store) had some chicks for sale when I bought horse food a few days ago, they're inside the store. They usually have them every spring.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Not to hi-jack your thread, but we need a handyman type to give us a price to finish the corrugated roof on the main chicken pen, and put back together the sections of the 2nd pen. We estimate it's about 2 days of work for 2 people but welcome another opinion - we are providing all the materials. If anyone knows someone that does this type of stuff full time, or on the side, please let me know. We're hoping to get the job completed this week.

I purchased some sexed chickens from MyPetChicken.com (MPC) and also from Tractor Supply. How many did you want? MPC will ship as few of 3 chickens to you. You can call Tractor Supply each day after 2pm and they can tell you if their chick shipment came in, if so what they have. Their chicks go fast and you can get sexed chicks if you want mainly hens.

I agree about the Farmer's Market in Charlotte Hall, lots of chicks available there on Saturdays (not sure about Wednesdays). I've purchased some nice ones from a guy there (gave him back the gorgeous roosters I ended up with (straight run sale).

Eventer29

I just got 4 chicks from a guy in leonardtown. He still has an ad on craigslist. His name is joe. My chicks are happy and healthy. 5 weeks old. When I was there he had buff orphingtons, black austrolorps, newhampshire reds and barred rocks. I got one of each. He also had a couple hens on eggs.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
They had them and ducks at Tractor Supply in White Plains.

Just called them and all the have left from Mondays shipment is some straight run Rhode Island Reds and some Cornish Rocks. He said they will get another shipment today or tomorrow but won't know what they have until the shipment arrives - surprise, surprise .... peep peep LOL.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I just got 4 chicks from a guy in leonardtown. He still has an ad on craigslist. His name is joe. My chicks are happy and healthy. 5 weeks old. When I was there he had buff orphingtons, black austrolorps, newhampshire reds and barred rocks. I got one of each. He also had a couple hens on eggs.

Straight run or sexed pullets? I'd like to get a few Buff Orp Pullets.

Eventer29

The ones I got were sexed. They came from Meyer Hatchery, where I was going to order from anyway, but couldnt get an order in for what I wanted till june. I think he might still have some of those still, plus some eggs he hatched. Wouldnt hurt to give him a call.240 538 3375 Joe
When I got mine (about a month ago) he had barred rock, buff orp, black austro, nh reds and easter eggers(easter eggers were all sold) he had cochin eggs I think as well as some others.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I bought 5 chicks at the Farmer's Market about a week ago. This one is King of the hill I guess lol?

Attachments

• 2012-04-27Kingofthehill.jpg
    2012-04-27Kingofthehill.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 136

Eventer29

I have one like that. My barred rock MUST be the tallest! If that means sitting on your head..then thats what she tries to do. Currently she is learning the word NO! Not many people want a chicken on their head.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I have one like that. My barred rock MUST be the tallest! If that means sitting on your head..then thats what she tries to do. Currently she is learning the word NO! Not many people want a chicken on their head.

Oh my -- I only ever had one land on my head. Usually they land on my back when I'm bent over doing something.