where to buy redken products?

KWAK

Are you bound and determined to use Redken products or does another line have similar products that you'd consider using? I ask because I am a licensed cosmetologist and can shop at Davidson's (distributor for the salons). I get things at cost (i.e., half price what the salon sells them for), but they aren't a Redken distributor!

They do have Biolage/Matrix, Paul Mitchell, Joico, KMS, Goldwell, Scruples, Sebastian, aquage, TIGI (Bedhead/Catwalk), Farouk (CHI), Kenra, Bain de Terre, Pravana, Nioxin to name a few.

H

HouseCat

Beware of products found outside of salons. Drug store, grocery store, ebay...they carry what is called Diverted Products. Many are old, outdated, and some are not even the product they should be. Most of those places charge more than salons and even if they don't, remember that they don't 100% guarantee their product. Salons will and should always give you a 100% money back guarantee, no matter what, on all Redken products.
Ok. Did not know that about the "diverted products" thing. Still skeptical though. let me ask you a question. What if the seller is like HalfAngle, who has their cosmotology license and gets it at cost to sell on the side (eBay).
What sort of questions would you ask the eBay seller (if you had to) to verify the stuff is the legit thing? Apparently there is some "professional guarantee" thing that is supposed to be on there, right?

yes, I'm cheap. I love my hairdresser, but she charges absolutely ridiculous prices for TIGI. If I can get it cheaper, I will. I have gotten burnt on eBay before with buying shampoo, but I returned it and found a better seller.
I'm kind of wary now, because the bottles came with barcode stickers over the original. I guess I got taken? The stuff seemed like the same. I didn't notice a difference.

Should proabably just go back to VO5. $1.50 a bottle. Look like the Blair witch, but the hair will be clean, and I'll be richer. LOL

sadkins3

What if the seller is like HalfAngle, who has their cosmotology license and gets it at cost to sell on the side (eBay).
What sort of questions would you ask the eBay seller (if you had to) to verify the stuff is the legit thing? Apparently there is some "professional guarantee" thing that is supposed to be on there, right?

To be honest, if someone is selling Redken (or any other professional product online) on ebay or online and without a professional recommendation, there is no way to guarantee that it is authentic. Can you find the real deal? Of course, but it's a chance you take.

I have to require salons buying Redken now have to sign a contract that prevents diversion and online selling. So if HalfAngle would purchase a bunch of Redken and was found selling on ebay, she could face a lawsuit. They are really starting to crack down so hopefully you will see a decrease in this activity. These products are meant to accompany a professional recommendation.

Trust me, as a mother of 2 I know what it means to be thrifty. If you have to choose and can't purchase everything at the salon, get the shampoo and condtioner/treatment and purchase the discount styling products. You are better off skimping on mousse or gel than a shampoo that washes your color down the drain and dries up all the natural moisture. I do know that salons do run specials and price breaks in Southern Maryland. Some even offer frequent buyer programs. It never hurts to ask. I think your stylist will appreciate your business and honesty.

Hope that helps.

KWAK

Hey - I only buy for my family and friends! And I'm ALWAYS honest with the girl who cuts my hair that she isn't getting the product commission off of me!

As for buying off of ebay - why would you want to pay the shipping on a bottle of shampoo, which is heavier than you'd think? I've never checked it out - so I'm not sure what they charge for this stuff.

sadkins3

HalfAngle - Lol, I was only using you as an example. That is certainly not diversion. Sorry if it sounded that way. Diversion usually happens in mass quanities for profit.

Meme81

Are you bound and determined to use Redken products or does another line have similar products that you'd consider using? I ask because I am a licensed cosmetologist and can shop at Davidson's (distributor for the salons). I get things at cost (i.e., half price what the salon sells them for), but they aren't a Redken distributor!

They do have Biolage/Matrix, Paul Mitchell, Joico, KMS, Goldwell, Scruples, Sebastian, aquage, TIGI (Bedhead/Catwalk), Farouk (CHI), Kenra, Bain de Terre, Pravana, Nioxin to name a few.

Since you are a licensed cosmetologist, which products do you recommend?

KWAK

Since you are a licensed cosmetologist, which products do you recommend?

I have my license but I haven't done hair (other than for family) for over 10 years now! It was what I wanted to do out of high school - then I changed my mind and now I'm a financial analyst - turning programmer! I keep my license up so that I know I'll never be without a job, and to shop at Davidson's!

I am a product junkie, though, and have a little of everything in my collection. I go back and forth with my faves - right now I'm on a Paul Mitchell kick for shampoo/conditioner and a Rusk/TIGI combo on my gloss/paste/pomade. It just depends - there isn't really any brand that they sell that I don't like.

When you say which products, what are you looking for? Be specific - like a shampoo for dry hair? Or a mousse for frizzy hair? I have personal experience with most of the products so I could give you a recommendation in that sense.

Meme81

I have my license but I haven't done hair (other than for family) for over 10 years now! It was what I wanted to do out of high school - then I changed my mind and now I'm a financial analyst - turning programmer! I keep my license up so that I know I'll never be without a job, and to shop at Davidson's!

I am a product junkie, though, and have a little of everything in my collection. I go back and forth with my faves - right now I'm on a Paul Mitchell kick for shampoo/conditioner and a Rusk/TIGI combo on my gloss/paste/pomade. It just depends - there isn't really any brand that they sell that I don't like.

When you say which products, what are you looking for? Be specific - like a shampoo for dry hair? Or a mousse for frizzy hair? I have personal experience with most of the products so I could give you a recommendation in that sense.

My hair is very fine and limp. I'd like a little more "fluff". My hair is also colored, with Redken products. The stylist I use works out of her home and doesn't carry any products for sale. She, too, uses a multitude of items. I'm kinda anal. I feel as if all the products I am using (shampoo, condition, gels, sprays, etc) need to be all the same brand to work effectively.

KWAK

My hair is very fine and limp. I'd like a little more "fluff". My hair is also colored, with Redken products. The stylist I use works out of her home and doesn't carry any products for sale. She, too, uses a multitude of items. I'm kinda anal. I feel as if all the products I am using (shampoo, condition, gels, sprays, etc) need to be all the same brand to work effectively.

How much time do you put into your hair every day? What haircut do you have? That would depend on what I would recommend too. What does your hair do? What doesn't it do that you want it to?

Couple examples:
My hair is very short (also fine and limp) and I use a gloss/paste/pomade to give me a shiny, messy look (think Natalie Portman when she went really short). I use a clarifying shampoo once a week, because I use so much product that I don't want to build up.

My sister has shoulder length hair, fine (but thicker than mine). She has a long layered look, kind of angled at the face and uses a texture spray to blow dry, then a lighter pomade to run through at the end to smooth things over.

Meme81

How much time do you put into your hair every day? What haircut do you have? That would depend on what I would recommend too. What does your hair do? What doesn't it do that you want it to?

Couple examples:
My hair is very short (also fine and limp) and I use a gloss/paste/pomade to give me a shiny, messy look (think Natalie Portman when she went really short). I use a clarifying shampoo once a week, because I use so much product that I don't want to build up.

My sister has shoulder length hair, fine (but thicker than mine). She has a long layered look, kind of angled at the face and uses a texture spray to blow dry, then a lighter pomade to run through at the end to smooth things over.

I don't put a lot of time into my hair (probably my problem..hee hee). My hair style sounds kinda like your sisters. Not quite shoulder length, but layered, angled around the face, parted to the side, with bangs.

Also, what type of shampoo would you recommend for dandruff? My 12-year old son has terrible dandruff. At first I thought it was that he wasn't rinsing his hair well, but now I'm not so sure.

H

HouseCat

To be honest, if someone is selling Redken (or any other professional product online) on ebay or online and without a professional recommendation, there is no way to guarantee that it is authentic. Can you find the real deal? Of course, but it's a chance you take.

I have to require salons buying Redken now have to sign a contract that prevents diversion and online selling. So if HalfAngle would purchase a bunch of Redken and was found selling on ebay, she could face a lawsuit. They are really starting to crack down so hopefully you will see a decrease in this activity. These products are meant to accompany a professional recommendation.

Trust me, as a mother of 2 I know what it means to be thrifty. If you have to choose and can't purchase everything at the salon, get the shampoo and condtioner/treatment and purchase the discount styling products. You are better off skimping on mousse or gel than a shampoo that washes your color down the drain and dries up all the natural moisture. I do know that salons do run specials and price breaks in Southern Maryland. Some even offer frequent buyer programs. It never hurts to ask. I think your stylist will appreciate your business and honesty.

Hope that helps.
Thanks. I guess its time to find another salon that doesn't overcharge.

JandJ

Holy Haircut Batman, Are You Both Crazy????

Half Angel??? If it's not against the law for you to offer to buy product at Davidson to "resell" to someone else, (with or without profit) then it is most definetely ETHICALLY WRONG... and how can you have actually worked as a hairdresser and think that you could "recommend" something without actually seeing the hair itself??? I am quite frankly astonished...and your offering this online like this just makes all professional hairdressers look bad...SHAME ON YOU.

And MeMe??? you would be much better off going back to the VO5 crap than to try to buy something from someone online who is a supposed hairdresser, just because someone can get a license does not necessarily qualify them to make a recommendation via cyberspace...unless they have some magical powers that came along with their license...

if you want to afford any product your stylist recommends then put it in your budget, maybe bring your lunch to work a few days, back off starbucks or wawa,,, you can easily afford $15 to $20 for a few decent professional products.

We are all worth it.

Last edited:

fumanfyter

Half Angel??? If it's not against the law for you to offer to buy product at Davidson to "resell" to someone else, (with or without profit) then it is most definetely ETHICALLY WRONG... and how can you have actually worked as a hairdresser and think that you could "recommend" something without actually seeing the hair itself??? I am quite frankly astonished...and your offering this online like this just makes all professional hairdressers look bad...SHAME ON YOU.

And MeMe??? you would be much better off going back to the VO5 crap than to try to buy something from someone online who is a supposed hairdresser, just because someone can get a license does not necessarily qualify them to make a recommendation via cyberspace...unless they have some magical powers that came along with their license...

if you want to afford any product your stylist recommends then put it in your budget, maybe bring your lunch to work a few days, back off starbucks or wawa,,, you can easily afford $15 to $20 for a few decent professional products.

We are all worth it.

:yeahthat: and davidson's aka. "cosmo prof" now, makes you sign a paper stating that you won't buy their products to resell to others. and most professional hairdressers make a small commission off of the products sold too, so it would def. hurt a little if everyone started going through people buying from davidson's.

H

HouseCat

We are all worth it.

Good grief, you sound like she's selling plutonium or automatic weapons on the side. It's just hair care products. In the end, its the consumer who gets screwed anyway. Its the whole principal of overcharging that pisses me off.

KWAK

Okay - so where did I say I re-sold anything anyway?? Yes, I buy things there for my mother - who paid $$$$ for me to go to beauty school, or my sister, and my friends. Big whoop - trust me when I say that the industry is not going to suffer over these small purchases! When I buy things for my family & friends, I do not make a profit on what I purchase. And when I put myself out there to make purchases here - I wouldn't have made a profit there, either, had anyone taken me up on it.

Next time you want to make a smarta$$ comment, read the post in it's entirety first - I never made a recommendation to anyone about anything. I merely asked a few questions, and gave product examples of people whose hair I do know. I did NOT tell anyone what to buy!

Get over yourselves!

spaceboy

professional hair care products...great prices

i have used the below, trusted site in the past to get all my professional hair products.they always deliver to my door fast. i use schwarzkopf for shampoo/conditioner and redken for my styling products. they have it all. use promotional code " 10pet " at checkout and get 10% off your first order.
www.radhairday.com

Last edited:

Roxie04

got my hair cut yesterday and I LOVE it. I'd like to get some of the products the stylist used but I'd rather not pay salon prices. any ideas on where to buy it for a little less?

When you buy products from a salon they are guarenteed. If you do not like them you can take it back. When you buy from a store you can't. And what they say is in the bottle is not always true. So most the time you have no clue what you are putting in your hair. Stores have things on their shelves that were discontinued years ago. So how old is that product?

angelbaby

i have used the below, trusted site in the past to get all my professional hair products.they always deliver to my door fast. i use schwarzkopf for shampoo/conditioner and redken for my styling products. they have it all. use promotional code " 10pet " at checkout and get 10% off your first order.
Hair Care Products - Hair Color

:faint: Those prices are outrageous! You can get much better prices in the salons. Jcpenney always has some kind of sale going . Right now Haircuttery has Redken buy 2 products and get the third for free.