Where to get car calibrated?

E

(((echo)))

I've never seen a speedo that was driven pre-transmision. I suppose it's possible but...

Echo, when you first start the car, do the gauges all jump to max, drop down, then jump to operating parameters? If the speedo does this, then it's actually stepper driven and you have most likely have an electrical problem.

If NOT, then you have an analog speedo and the temp probably dropped low enough to thicken the fluid in the viscous coupling within the speedo.

That used to happen every winter on my Grand National and on my 83 Toyota pickup.

nope...nothing jumps to max :shrug:
it's actually back to normal now :confused:

E

(((echo)))

If you can, go wiggle and tighten any connectors associated with the speedo.

i checked the hummer forums, and it seems it is cold weather related
the models vary but i guess the speedo is'nt cable driven and there is a sensor somewhere that when it gets cold it fluctuates.
the "shade tree fix" is to re rout a wire that is in proximity to the sensor...
i'll do it when i'm not feeling too lazy :lol:

direxpgw

speedo

[
Most cars nowadays have electronic speedo actuation. No cable. And not driven off the transmission. They are driven off wheel speed sensors that allow the ABS module to function. Wheel sensors of a 'reed type' send a pulse signal to the ABS module, which sends the computer a signal when you apply brakes to modulate accordingly if wheels are turning different speeds relative to one another. The signal splits off to the speedo usually after going to the computer.

So you may have a bad wheel sensor (4 total). One bad sensor could affect the speedo and may set off an ABS warning light on your dash.

QUOTE=Lugnut;2726653]I've never seen a speedo that was driven pre-transmision. I suppose it's possible but...