Which job opportunity?

Which job would you take?

• Stay at Dulles, go overnight and make 15% raise

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Make the same money on Govt. contract down town

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Work as employee of The Post for slightly better money then you currently make.

Votes: 12 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.
Which would you do?

Work in Dulles with a titanic commute on the third shift making about 15% more than you do now.

Work on a contract for a Federal Govt Dept. for about the same money you currently make and half the commute to Dulles.

Work for the Post full time with half the commute and slightly better money than you make? (even though the Post disagrees with you most of the time)

Those are (sort of) the career options I have right now. I'm thrilled to have so much opportunity, but am not certain which way I will go yet. What would you-all do?

mainman

Set Trippin
tlatchaw said:
Which would you do?

Work in Dulles with a titanic commute on the third shift making about 15% more than you do now.

Work on a contract for a Federal Govt Dept. for about the same money you currently make and half the commute to Dulles.

Work for the Post full time with half the commute and slightly better money than you make? (even though the Post disagrees with you most of the time)

Those are (sort of) the career options I have right now. I'm thrilled to have so much opportunity, but am not certain which way I will go yet. What would you-all do?
Give it all up and become an Alpaca farmer...

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
If you're already doing Dulles, you might as well stay, do the different hours (for a while at least), and take the raise. 15% is significant.

HunterJJD

Depends

If you are young with no kids that wait on you, then do the drive while you can, pack the money away. Then when ready to start a family or get tired of the drive you have your bills knocked down and you can live a little better on less money.

But if you have a family, the drive is hard when you have to get home NOW for the kids or wife.

Also what has better long term plans for you

JD

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Railroad said:
If you're already doing Dulles, you might as well stay, do the different hours (for a while at least), and take the raise. 15% is significant.

I don't agree. 15% is squat with gas prices and such. I make a decent amount now and wouldn't even consider a move to DC or especially NoVA for anything under a 50% raise. Time = money, gas = money, it's just not worth it.

Otter

Nothing to see here
tlatchaw said:
Which would you do?

No way..3rd shift?? 15% won't cover the gas/wear and tear..plus fighting rush hour traffic dead tired in the AM going home. 3rd shift is a killer, no matter how much you get used to it.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
otter said:
No way..3rd shift?? 15% won't cover the gas/wear and tear..plus fighting rush hour traffic dead tired in the AM going home. 3rd shift is a killer, no matter how much you get used to it.
Are we talking 15% of 50K or 15% of 120K? :really:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
tlatchaw said:
Which would you do?

Just to clue you in on the commute I had. I was traveling from Mechanicsville to Arlington (roughly 65 miles one-way) 5 days a week. It cost me just under $400 per month in gas and I have a 4-cylinder Accord.

Otter

Nothing to see here
Chasey_Lane said:
Just to clue you in on the commute I had. I was traveling from Mechanicsville to Arlington (roughly 65 miles one-way) 5 days a week. It cost me just under $400 per month in gas and I have a 4-cylinder Accord.

and that was prior to the huge increases we now see in gas prices.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
tlatchaw said:
Which would you do?

No way I would do 1.

2 is possible but remember all we contractors are easily dismissable

3 is a good choice and it doesn't matter if you agree or not. Most people don't agree with certain policies in their company and how many govies or govie contractors are in total agreement with the government. As long as the work you do is straightforward and honest, that's all that matters.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Knowing what I know about the newspaper industry, I could never suggest that anybody go work for the Post. Especially recently with their labor strikes, cutting of 401K's and various other mumblings that have been happening. Not to mention a newspaper NEVER sleeps, open every day, all day - holidays don't exist, snow leave doesn't happen, and emergency leave does not exist either. If you need a job now, and it's an emergency situation, and will only be for a few months, then by all means take it, otherwise, you are screwing yourself, and I give you 10 to 1 odds that you will not still be employed by them in one year's time frame.
JMHO
Now, if it was me, I'd take the government job. More security, more days off, and reasonably safe retirement plan.

Otter

Nothing to see here
migtig said:
Now, if it was me, I'd take the government job. More security, more days off, and reasonably safe retirement plan.

Believe it was a govt contract job, not a govt job.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
otter said:

:yeahthat: I worked 3rd shift for almost 2 years when I was starting my career and it is VERY hard. I only had to commute from Lusby to Pax, but sometimes that drive home was very hard. I can't imagine fighting traffic from Dulles to home. :dead: A raise of 15% wouldn't even cover the aggravation IMHO.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
otter said:
Believe it was a govt contract job, not a govt job.
Okay then I'd still take it, or since I'm single, have no kids and have no life, sock away the Dulles money.
Newspapers all across the country are in serious trouble. Unless they have alternate sources of income or a private individual/company paying out of pocket to keep it up and running, they will continuely find ways to cut costs and the number one way to do that is thru employees. There is no serious money to be made and turnover is extremely high. The Post has its' fair share of problems right now. I hate to be a naysayer, but they contacted me thru a headhunter and offered me a heck of a lot more money to come to work for them and I refused. A lot of folks outside the newspaper industry seem to think that it is some kind of glamourous exciting job, when it's trench work for little pay and no glory and no compensation. Otter, how many paid holidays did you get off thru your job this year? I supposedly have six a year. I worked four of them. There is no time and half or overtime for holidays either. I know enough about the industry to know that somebody coming in from a different industry will not make it. Average turnover is under 6 months.
Again, this is JMHO.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
otter said:
No, they frown on that.
:lmao:

I picked #2. Commuting is no kind of life, especially if you have kids at home. And Mig's post about the Post scotched that, in my opinion. So #2 it is.