Who are the greatest athletes?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
If you are going to say moto I have to disagree...while extremely physically demanding if you are putting the average Mixed Martial Artist professional against the professional MX'er I'm taking the physicallity of the MMA guy everytime.

MMA is #2 behind MX and here is why;

Coordination; it takes more to get a bike around a dirt track than it does to fight. Both hands, both feet, plus balance and an ever changing terrain in addition to opponents. Fighting clearly takes great coordination but, the only variable is the opponent.

For concentration, strength and stamina, MMA is very demanding, obviously. However, you get a break every 5 minutes. And you only go 3-5 rounds. For a moto, you don't get a break for 30 minutes plus two laps. Then, you do another moto. I would argue that MMA takes more peak exertion, by a good bit, but, you do get that break and a great deal of the time, you are preparing for that exertion as opposed to actually expending it.

As for courage, fearlessness, guts and commitment, it obviously takes all four to step into the ring/octagon knowing full well you WILL be getting hit and likely bloodied, may end up with a broken arm, huge welts on your shins, legs, etc or maybe knocked out.

The balls it takes to ride MX riders, to triple, to blitz the whoops, the chaos and mayhem in the first turn, to be, especially in super cross, constantly on the verge of an incredibly nasty crash, the lap after lap physical and mental demand is far superior, in my view, to what it takes to step in against a man who might well beat your ass but ain't likely to toss you about at 40 mph like a rag doll into the face of a step up and, perhaps, have you bike meet you there, or someone elses.

Further, people get carted off of MX/SX tracks pretty regular. The vast majority of MMA fights, both men walk out. Even if you got knocked or chocked out.

More further, your career as a pro racing a dirt bike is measured in years, not decades. If you don't make it by your early 20's, you ain't gonna. If you did make it by your early 20's, you might make it to your early 30's, maybe.

MMA, your best years may well be in your late 20's and into your early 30's.

You have a chance of taking most dirt bike racers and turning them into decent fighters. That is not the case with most fighters. In my view.

All in all, coordination, concentration, strength, stamina, courage, fearlessness, guts and commitment, MMA comes in second place to MX and SX.

In my opinion.

somdwatch

Unfortunately

I can't remember his name... But the swimmer out of Baltimore. The amount of discipline, 6 hours a day in a pool. Dominating at the world level.

thurley42

HY;FR
MMA is #2 behind MX and here is why;

Coordination; it takes more to get a bike around a dirt track than it does to fight. Both hands, both feet, plus balance and an ever changing terrain in addition to opponents. Fighting clearly takes great coordination but, the only variable is the opponent.

For concentration, strength and stamina, MMA is very demanding, obviously. However, you get a break every 5 minutes. And you only go 3-5 rounds. For a moto, you don't get a break for 30 minutes plus two laps. Then, you do another moto. I would argue that MMA takes more peak exertion, by a good bit, but, you do get that break and a great deal of the time, you are preparing for that exertion as opposed to actually expending it.

As for courage, fearlessness, guts and commitment, it obviously takes all four to step into the ring/octagon knowing full well you WILL be getting hit and likely bloodied, may end up with a broken arm, huge welts on your shins, legs, etc or maybe knocked out.

The balls it takes to ride MX riders, to triple, to blitz the whoops, the chaos and mayhem in the first turn, to be, especially in super cross, constantly on the verge of an incredibly nasty crash, the lap after lap physical and mental demand is far superior, in my view, to what it takes to step in against a man who might well beat your ass but ain't likely to toss you about at 40 mph like a rag doll into the face of a step up and, perhaps, have you bike meet you there, or someone elses.

Further, people get carted off of MX/SX tracks pretty regular. The vast majority of MMA fights, both men walk out. Even if you got knocked or chocked out.

More further, your career as a pro racing a dirt bike is measured in years, not decades. If you don't make it by your early 20's, you ain't gonna. If you did make it by your early 20's, you might make it to your early 30's, maybe.

MMA, your best years may well be in your late 20's and into your early 30's.

You have a chance of taking most dirt bike racers and turning them into decent fighters. That is not the case with most fighters. In my view.

All in all, coordination, concentration, strength, stamina, courage, fearlessness, guts and commitment, MMA comes in second place to MX and SX.

In my opinion.

I don't disagree with anything you say.....:buddies: If we are comparing the athletes at the highest level of their respective sport then I would think you make a compelling arguement....having done both (not at the highest level obviously) I say coordination, strength, and stamina in MMA is more demanding.....having the coordination of a boxer, the strength and stamina of a wrestler alone I think is more demanding...while not taking anything away from a 30 minute MX/SX race, I don't know if you are truly respecting how long 5 minutes in a cage is....ESPECIALLY if you find yourself in a grappling match. While the duration isn't as long, I feel that the sustained level of effort is higher. But like I said.....either is an amazing feat.

Now on to courage/guts/fearlessness...

I keep going back and forth on this arguement.....on one hand like you said, most of the time the long term/severity of injuries/risk weighs heavily on the moto side......the most common injuries being knocked/choked out, with every once in awhile a broken bone....in moto it's almost a given you will break something...and the risk of death is much greater....

however....as an average moto racer...if i crash....I can throttle back, say I've reached my limit and this is where I'll stay...be it C/B level racing...amatuer, or just recreationally....in MMA there is no kids league....and it's amazing how many people come into the gym every single month thinking it is........half quit from just wrestling....or being tapped the first time.....but even still...you have people who train for 6 months + and the first time they get punched they just fold over and quit.....

Like I said..it's a toss up......both are legit athletes....

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I don't disagree with anything you say.....:buddies: If we are comparing the athletes at the highest level of their respective sport then I would think you make a compelling arguement....having done both (not at the highest level obviously) I say coordination, strength, and stamina in MMA is more demanding.....having the coordination of a boxer, the strength and stamina of a wrestler alone I think is more demanding...while not taking anything away from a 30 minute MX/SX race, I don't know if you are truly respecting how long 5 minutes in a cage is....ESPECIALLY if you find yourself in a grappling match. While the duration isn't as long, I feel that the sustained level of effort is higher. But like I said.....either is an amazing feat.

N ....

I said that and I agree.

And I will defer to your opinion given you have done both and I have not. And I do have a good idea how long five minutes is. My first wrestling match I spent about 5:50 trying to not get pinned, 2 minutes at a time, and it seemed like forever and I barely knew where I was when it was over.

Wobbled off the mat and coach looked at me like I'd only stolen most of the toys from orphans:

"At least you didn't get pinned".

:lol:

Larry Gude

Strung Out

however....as an average moto racer...if i crash....I can throttle back, say I've reached my limit and this is where I'll stay...be it C/B level racing...amatuer, or just recreationally....in MMA there is no kids league.... ...

That is a GREAT point I had not considered.

:buddies:

Now take an off road bike for a 500 mile or 1000 mile ride down the Baja peninsula. You don't see the same turn or set of whoops every lap. You ride only stopping at your preset points (hopefully) and you ride through day and night in the longer race.
Ok, they get spelled by a partner once.
Last winning time of 19 hours 22 minutes. So the winning rider rode probably 6 hrs for at least one leg.

How the heck did he get to the next change point before his partner? Even if the exchange took place near the paved road the bikes average speed was 55. I doubt the paved road is much faster. Helo?

The course is 1061 miles of the harshest terrain on the planet, leading racers on a crisscross journey from coast to coast down the famed Baja Peninsula from Ensenada, Baja California, to La Paz, Baja California Sur, Mexico.

The JCR Honda team averaged 55mph adjusted down from projections due to a 100 mile section of dense fog that slowed the pace of the race dramatically.

The strategy for Kendall Norman and Quinn Cody was aggressive to say the least. Kendall Norman started the race 5th off the line and rode flawlessly to Race Mile 354 putting the bike in the lead.

Quinn Cody would ride from Race Mile 354 into the evening. Quinn would eventually hand the bike off to Kendall at Race Mile 733 where he would ride to the finish at mile 1061.

Last edited:

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Boxer. 3 fast paced minutes followed by 60 seconds to catch your breath.

GregV814

How about beer drinkin cornholers... or those crazy inner city youths that knock out old white people? Sure, some victims die,,...