• The soon-to-be Mr. & Mrs.

Votes: 25 54.3%
  • Everyone equally

Votes: 9 19.6%

• Total voters

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
kwillia said:
My answer would depend on specific circumstances.
What kind of circumstances? The age of the couple? The financial stability of the couple & their parents? The venue location?

Chasey_Lane said:
What kind of circumstances? The age of the couple? The financial stability of the couple & their parents? The venue location?
Yep, those are some of the circumstances. Along with "Is it the first marriage?" and others.

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
The two getting married should pay for the wedding. If any of the parents want to help out, GREAT!

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
And for the record, I'm not criticizing/degrading anyone whose parents pay for their wedding. I think it is a great burden lifted off a couple's shoulders and if the parents can afford and want to, the happy couple is truely blessed to have great parents!

Vince

Daughter was supposed to get married this past summer, but broke up with her current fiancee. Even if she would have gotten married I couldn't afford to pay for her wedding after putting out over 30K for her college. She is no longer engaged to anyone, but I told her when she decided to finally marry someone the she and whomever she's marrying can pay for their own wedding.

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
If you're grown (established) adults, with previous marriages under your belt, then I would think any gift in the form of wedding support - financial or otherwise - should be greatly accepted and appreciated, but definitely not expected.

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
My husband and I paid for our own. It forced us to be a bit more frugal than I would have liked as a young Bridezilla, but in the end we appreciated it more. The best bonus about it was that we had total control of what went on, who was invited, etc.; without feeling any guilt about having to pander to our parents list of five million demands. Our money, our call.

It's a great gesture if parents can help, but in this day and age I don't believe it should be expected.

Chasey_Lane said:
What would you do in my situation - my first, his second.
Well, since your situation involved the two of you chosing to "elope" in Vegas, I would have given you a nice monetary wedding present, but I wouldn't have funded the wedding at all...:shrug:

Elle

Happy Camper!
I think that it should be the responsibility of the newlyweds however they should never turn down assistance from anyone.
When I got married we did a lot of things ourselves so we didn't really have to spend a fortune on our budget, but it still added up very quickly. Hubby and I paid for some things as well as his parents helping out with what they could, while my parents footed probably 40% of the total bill. But we had extended family and friends help in many ways. We are both grateful that our parents and everyone involved were able to make our special day more than what we could have done on our own.

Vince said:
Daughter was supposed to get married this past summer, but broke up with her current fiancee. Even if she would have gotten married I couldn't afford to pay for her wedding after putting out over 30K for her college. She is no longer engaged to anyone, but I told her when she decided to finally marry someone the she and whomever she's marrying can pay for their own wedding.
And that sounds pretty reasonable based on the circumstances presented...:yay: