Whole Roof Replacement - Your Recent Experience

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
G.H. Clark just did our detached garage last week.
30'x40' with a 12/12 pitch and 3 dormers.
They replaced siding on the dormers, new 6"gutters with gutter guards and 30 year shingles.
$12K.
They did a nice job, but I am not happy with the siding on the dormers. But that is my fault, color is off from the existing siding.
We went with the HardiePlank cement lap siding and will now need to be painted to match.

Current roof had 3/8's plywood and they don't use that anymore. they use 1/2 and that all the plywood on the house had to be replace.

Don't think so. It is the standard for new roofs, but I don't believe there is anything that says old 3/8 has to be replaced. I had 3/8 on my roof, replaced a few bad pieces and put on the new shingles. Bob Green did this, so if it were a requirement, he should have known.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
spr1975wshs, thank you for the advice. Can you please tell me why these shingles cost so much per bundle "Item # 787514 Model # 0464479
GAF Timberline American Harvest 33.33-sq ft Midnight Blush Laminated Architectural Roof Shingles"? Are these one tab or three tab and are they 50-year shingles? I appreciate the information. Do you think it it cheaper to find a roofer myself or go through Lowe's as a middle man? I mean, if the local stores do not have much control over the local contractors, why add Lowe's to the mix? NBF

I have no idea why our HQ prices things the way they do.

In all honesty, I would go with a local roofing company rather than a chain store that adds their profit margin on top of what you would otherwise pay.

I have used Lowe's in the past as a supplier of materials, but have found my own installer.

littlelady

God bless the USA
We had a great experience with G.H.Clark jr. Prince Frederick. We had an insurance inspector come out as we had lost some shingles . He said we also had hail damage and they would pay for the damaged back half and we paid for the front. The total cost was $7400 for 30 year shingles on a standard two storey 2000sq ft house with two car garage.

GH Clark. :yay: Granted we had our roof replaced because of Irene and a hundred foot hickory tree out of the woods. We did the 30 year certainteed, not knowing we would move. But, Clark did a good job, and State Farm is an awesome insurance company.

nutz

For the last few weeks I've been poring over ads of roofing companies and have yet to pull the trigger. NBF

Bob Greene or Boone's. While I can understand the desire to get a lower price, telling a contractor that you can get shingles from Lowe's for x dollars isn't gonna be a big help. Lowe's only does ground delivery so are you gonna hump the shingles up on the roof or are you gonna pay the roofing contractor? Hidden damage (under the shingles) will almost always be an upcharge, check the fine print.

Metal can be installed over the old shingles, noise is not really an issue (except maybe at Rod Rugg's grannies house which is tin and uninsulated).

http://bobgreensiding.com/#5
https://www.boonesroofing.com/

Last edited:

nutz

I have no idea why our HQ prices things the way they do.

In all honesty, I would go with a local roofing company rather than a chain store that adds their profit margin on top of what you would otherwise pay.

I have used Lowe's in the past as a supplier of materials, but have found my own installer.

Lowe's sure does seem to be going downhill fast. Their "contracted" delivery service is not a plus.

glhs837

Power with Control
Bob Greene or Boone's. While I can understand the desire to get a lower price, telling a contractor that you can get shingles from Lowe's for x dollars isn't gonna be a big help. Lowe's only does ground delivery so are you gonna hump the shingles up on the roof or are you gonna pay the roofing contractor? Hidden damage (under the shingles) will almost always be an upcharge, check the fine print.

Metal can be installed over the old shingles, noise is not really an issue (except maybe at Rod Rugg's grannies house which is tin and uninsulated).

http://bobgreensiding.com/#5
https://www.boonesroofing.com/

To be clear, I wasn't suggesting using Lowes pricing on materials to talk down a bid. As noted, the pricing from the contractor does include things that buying from Lowes does not. And of course, the contractor gets his pricing from his supplier that is different than what he charges you or what you can buy them for becuase of that. I was only pointing out that the price difference between 30 and 50 year shingles might be able to shave a good chunk off the cost of the job and a customer should not aautomatically jump on the most expensive option just becuase that's what the contractor bid. It's worth asking the contractor to bid the job with the lower cost shingles too. Higher end materials do bring a higher margin and so it's worth bidding the job as "Here's what I put on my house, I dont like to even use those nasty old 30 year shingles anymore.".

nutz

To be clear, I wasn't suggesting using Lowes pricing on materials to talk down a bid.

My comment was more general in nature. Once you know a project takes x amount of material, it's easy to start price shopping. Sometimes, often too late, the little details pop out like Lowe's/HD doesn't do rooftop delivery and nails weren't included.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
spr1975wshs, thank you for the advice. Can you please tell me why these shingles cost so much per bundle "Item # 787514 Model # 0464479
GAF Timberline American Harvest 33.33-sq ft Midnight Blush Laminated Architectural Roof Shingles"? Are these one tab or three tab and are they 50-year shingles? I appreciate the information. Do you think it it cheaper to find a roofer myself or go through Lowe's as a middle man? I mean, if the local stores do not have much control over the local contractors, why add Lowe's to the mix? NBF

I have no idea about how Lowe's and the suppliers agree on retail pricing.

Main caution I have is, adding any middle man adds their profit to the cost.

mdff21

Who did you use?

I went to BMI metals in Charlotte Hall, off Ryceville Road (Amish) The roofing metal is $2.50 a linier foot and the sheets are 3 feet wide, cut to any length you want. They have a list of "contractors" they use. I chose Eli Kurtz, he came out took the measurements and gave me the price. They used 1"x4" boards over the existing shingles then the roofing on top of that. They (4 guys) started at 8 and were done, cleaned up everything and gone by 2.

DQ2B

I went to BMI metals in Charlotte Hall, off Ryceville Road (Amish) The roofing metal is $2.50 a linier foot and the sheets are 3 feet wide, cut to any length you want. They have a list of "contractors" they use. I chose Eli Kurtz, he came out took the measurements and gave me the price. They used 1"x4" boards over the existing shingles then the roofing on top of that. They (4 guys) started at 8 and were done, cleaned up everything and gone by 2.

BMI? Not the same as Brookline I assume?

nutz

Sam and his family found a nice little niche for themselves.