Who's responsible

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
We have an abandoned community swimming pool in out neighborhood, when eventually somebody drowns in this thing, who gets sued? There hasn't been a homeowners association here for close to two decades so they're out, the developer (Larry Millison) has passed away so he's out, I don't see how the county could be held for it, so who?

Pete

Repete
We have an abandoned community swimming pool in out neighborhood, when eventually somebody drowns in this thing, who gets sued? There hasn't been a homeowners association here for close to two decades so they're out, the developer (Larry Millison) has passed away so he's out, I don't see how the county could be held for it, so who?

I would think that particular peice of property is deeded to someone or some organization if it is HOA owned common space. whoever holds the deed would be liable.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
In a normal world it would be called an "accident" and the only person liable would be the dummy who drowned. Or, if they're a minor, the person who should have been supervising them (parent, babysitter, etc).

But this isn't a normal world - it's a litigious one. So my final answer as to who should be held responsible if someone drowns in an abandoned swimming pool is:

The pool manufacturer.

Or George Bush.

Pete

Repete
In a normal world it would be called an "accident" and the only person liable would be the dummy who drowned. Or, if they're a minor, the person who should have been supervising them (parent, babysitter, etc).

But this isn't a normal world - it's a litigious one. So my final answer as to who should be held responsible if someone drowns in an abandoned swimming pool is:

The pool manufacturer.

Or George Bush.

:jet:

Millison's estate.

Roberta

OLD WISE ONE

Why should anyone get sued? Why would you want to sue the developer? He dose not own the land, if fact he does not own anything. He is dead! How can he be responsible for a death if he is in fact dead himself. Just watch your children and make sure they don't fall into a empty pool that has a little rain water in it or any puddle for that matter. :shakingmyhead: Looking for a fast buck??

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Why should anyone get sued? Why would you want to sue the developer? He dose not own the land, if fact he does not own anything. He is dead! How can he be responsible for a death if he is in fact dead himself. Just watch your children and make sure they don't fall into a empty pool that has a little rain water in it or any puddle for that matter. :shakingmyhead: Looking for a fast buck??

Roberta, I think many agree with you, but the sense you are talking no longer holds water (pardon the pun) in this sue-happy nation. Someone will goof, and someone will trip, fall, drown, get sick, whatever, because of the abandoned pool, and someone else will get sued.

Unless of course the aging pool represents an environmental hazard and Maryland Dept. of the Environment could be contacted to fill it in... :whistle:

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I'm not looking to sue anyone, my kids are in their 20's and 30's and haven't lived with us in years. I only asked because I walk my dog past it most days and this weekend I'd watched a group of kids looking for a way in. Their parents were across the street watching them from the front steps so they are aware that the kids know about the place. I figure sooner or later they'll talk each other into jumping the fence and Darwin will take his cut of the young and stupid. After this happens the parents will be looking for a payday and I was trying to figure out who was going to end up on the hook for it.

The abandoned pool is most certainly a community health hazard not only for the injury/drowning danger but also because of the mosquito infestation.

Pete

Repete
If you want to find out who is responsible and or get the county to fill it in all you need to do is this:

Go in there and clean it up. Toss some paint around in there and make it look cool. Then set up a booth and charge the neighborhood kids $5 to skateboard in it.

As soon as anyone finds out you are making use of a previously unused eyesore AND people are having fun with it, "authorities" will come out of the wordwork to shut it down and stop that mess. Within days of the first smile and sound of laughing some guy in a suit will be there to make it stop and shortly after the place will be demolished.

glhs837

Power with Control
SDAT: Real Property Search

Here you go. That parcel is owned by the SAN SOUCI NEIGHBORHOOD
ASSOCIATION INC

With the below mailing address, I assume the name is a lawyer. Millison sold it to the neighborhood (I assume the association wasnt a legal entity yet) who then sold it to the Assoc. Were I interested in actually dealing with it, I would contact him, and the county zoning folks. Could be it could get filled in out of some mosquito control money, who knows.

Mailing Address: C/O THOMAS J DOUD ESQ
233 E REDWOOD ST
BALTIMORE MD 21202-3332

luvmygdaughters

The pool manufacturer.

Or George Bush.

:killingme