Whose fault is the invasion of Ukraine?

UglyBear

Also, “territories that don’t want to be part of …”:
Two places, Chechnya and Dagestan, really really didn’t want to be parts of Russia. Less than 20 years ago. there was no foreign army in those places stirring up secession, and Russians were a small minority. Those places were never historically Russian.

Russia spent untold blood and treasure, and leveled them to smoldering ruins, to prevent their break-away. Still conducts “pacification” operations there.

Donetsk and Luhansk “suddenly” decided to break away after annexation of Crimea and non-refutable presence of Russian military stirring up trouble. They have approximately even ethnic Rus/Ukr population, and were historically part of Ukraine. No deal.

Agee

Let's try it this way:

Russia made no indication they would invade when Trump was President.

Is that clearer, or do I really have to spell it out?
You mean that spineless twit and his band of knuckleheads in the white-house...
Putin was aware of and I wouldn't doubt had a hand-in where the transfer of power was heading, sole intent of driving into Ukraine once Uncle Joe took over.
I believe this administration had no intention of stopping Putin, they have a plan for Ukraine.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You mean that spineless twit and his band of knuckleheads in the white-house...
Putin was aware of and I wouldn't doubt had a hand-in where the transfer of power was heading, sole intent of driving into Ukraine once Uncle Joe took over.
I believe this administration had no intention of stopping Putin, they have a plan for Ukraine.

10% for the Big Guy.

Agee

40 members of House and Senate calling for plus-ups for Ukraine on top of the $732 billion defense budget, its only 7 billion! When are we helping, when are we profiting? Are our intentions to really help the people that need it (The Ukrainian people) or the war machine. Have to admit some hypocricy on my part as I support the "war machine" to keep our butts safe and the lights on, but the blatant incompetency is frighting.

Last edited:

Hijinx

How much is it going to cost us to settle the 100,000 refugees that are sitting in Mexico waiting to be taken on here. Well I guess if we can afford to get rid of title 42 and accept millions of South Americans, Africans, Chinese, Russians, and Haitians using Mexico as their entry point to America we can take on 100,000 actual refugees.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
The claim that these two regions wanted to break away from Ukraine is based entirely on a couple VERY spurious referendums conducted in Ukraine.

When we have states that want to split off, join other states or parts want to join other states, form new ones, split California into several states -

A mere referendum doesn’t satisfy the legal requirements and they don’t go anywhere. Russia decided that was enough for them and decided to take them.

If Miami had a referendum and a majority wanted to join Cuba, it wouldn’t happen.

Russia does this. It’s how they invaded South Ossetia and Abkhazia - both parts of Georgia. I would bet they’ll try it with other former republics.

Their justification is they’re entitled to all the lands where Russians are majority.

You know, like annexing the Sudetenland and Austria and Danzig and Czechoslovakia - Hitler just took these lands one at a time, and the world shrugged - or shuddered - and told themselves he was entitled to them.
And of course Russia works on entire territories ro ensure Russian Majorities. Just like our government ensured portions of our country are, or near majority Muslim