Why are certain cuisines more popular than others?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I like it all, with Asian in all its nationalities being my #1 favorite.

I can't think of a single cuisine that I don't like at least some of. Scandinavian food is pretty gross, but Swedish Fish are great :jet: Plus they invented the buffet, so that saves them from being the Satan of All Cuisine.

Tech

Irish cuisine? Have never seen an irish restaurant, pub yes. Stick with what you know.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
People tend to eat “safe” foreign cuisines.

I think of that as American food, which is my #1 favorite cuisine. We took all the good stuff from other countries and left them the gross chit. Tacos are American; Mexicans can keep their cow head and guts. Pizza is American; Italians can have their carpaccio and sea urchins.

All the yum, none of the barf! :patriot:

UglyBear

I think of that as American food, which is my #1 favorite cuisine. We took all the good stuff from other countries and left them the gross chit. Tacos are American; Mexicans can keep their cow head and guts. Pizza is American; Italians can have their carpaccio and sea urchins.

All the yum, none of the barf! :patriot:
Once you get past the visual and unusual, most of the “barf” is pretty “yum”.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Once you get past the visual and unusual, most of the “barf” is pretty “yum”.

To paraphrase Jules, lutefisk may taste like punkin pie but I'll never know because I wouldn't eat the filthy **er. :jet:

I used to be game back in the day but there's enough food I do like that I don't need to experiment any further. I accidentally ate liver at a Mexican buffet in El Paso and I don't want to make that mistake again. 🤢

UglyBear

The peasant-lands in Eastern-European countries had little access to dairy products regularly so they had to get creative. The idea of that is weird to us - we've always had access, and we're nosey.
🤓 Being pedantic here...
The majority of EE peasants in the flat lands (not mountains or deserts) had a great amount of dairy foods — majority of the diet is based on dairy and grains. All three kinds of dairy, cow, goat, sheep. And lots and lots of it — as straight-up milk, cheese, sour cream, etc. EE peasant diet was very rich, but due to constant hard work, obesity was unheard of.

Of my peasant ancestors (3/4 of them), even the “poor” ones had at least 4-5 milk cows, plus a herd of milk goats and a herd of sheep. Womenfolk we’re constantly busy milking, and had hands of iron. Butter and cheese were invented to preserve dairy for the winter period, when the animals stop lactating and get pregnant for the spring.

That is, until the commies came and took it all away approx 100 years ago. Then the access got limited, same as with Slow Joe supply chain problems. The production is there, but it doesn’t get to the people.

And that’s where you hit the nail on the head — Mayo was shelf-stable, so replaced most of the traditional fresh dairy.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
🤓 Being pedantic here...
The majority of EE peasants in the flat lands (not mountains or deserts) had a great amount of dairy foods — majority of the diet is based on dairy and grains. All three kinds of dairy, cow, goat, sheep. And lots and lots of it — as straight-up milk, cheese, sour cream, etc. EE peasant diet was very rich, but due to constant hard work, obesity was unheard of.

Of my peasant ancestors (3/4 of them), even the “poor” ones had at least 4-5 milk cows, plus a herd of milk goats and a herd of sheep. Womenfolk we’re constantly busy milking, and had hands of iron. Butter and cheese were invented to preserve dairy for the winter period, when the animals stop lactating and get pregnant for the spring.

That is, until the commies came and took it all away approx 100 years ago. Then the access got limited, same as with Slow Joe supply chain problems. The production is there, but it doesn’t get to the people.

And that’s where you hit the nail on the head — Mayo was shelf-stable, so replaced most of the traditional fresh dairy.
Yea I meant in a 1900s to current time frame. I'm not touching 1800s and before, I know nothing :lol: My Slavic neighbor is just one of those people who loves to share treats, and when we first became neighbors she'd bring us American dishes and treats - I think she thought that was the most polite thing to do when she moved here was learn bland our cuisine, but once she started making some home-country stuff - we beg her for that stuff. So good. No idea on the names. Just eat it.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I like it all, with Asian in all its nationalities being my #1 favorite.

I can't think of a single cuisine that I don't like at least some of. Scandinavian food is pretty gross, but Swedish Fish are great :jet: Plus they invented the buffet, so that saves them from being the Satan of All Cuisine.
They’ve also got meatballs and pancakes

Toxick

Splat
3rd tier might include British, Indian and Jamaican.

British cuisine? I can't imagine going into a restaurant and ordering marmite, or boiled meat, or the other disgusting crap those people shove down their maws. Like blood pudding.

"Yes, I'd like a bowl of clot, please"

Gross.

What's your favorite 3 ethnic foods to eat?

Italian, Thai and Mexican.

Sometimes in that order. Sometimes not.

Toxick

Splat
To paraphrase Jules, lutefisk may taste like punkin pie but I'll never know because I wouldn't eat the filthy **er.

Wise move.

Lutefisk is the Scandaweigian word for rotten-fish ass jello.
It tastes like rotten fish and ass and the texture is gross jello.

SamSpade

I think number of cuisines are popular - like Chinese and Italian - because basically, they're sweet.

I think I've heard cuisines as fundamentally relying on mainly ONE or at most two ingredients - kind of like the musical "variations on a theme" concept.

Mediterranean cuisines are heavy on olive oil - French, German, British and Irish, heavy on butter. Most Asian, soy sauce.

There's also meats that are more prevalent - Asian foods are heavier on pork. Mediterranean (Greek, Lebanese, Moroccan, Middle Eastern) are heavier on lamb. They're also notable for their general LACK of beef as ingredients. Scandinavian foods more likely to feature fish.

Lastly, there are flavors or spices that figure more heavily in some cuisines. The French use more tarragon; English, currants. Jewish - onions.

Your "favorites" are likely to lean towards the stuff in these cuisines you like.

Generally - I don't care for British, German or French foods as they seem basically bland to me. A lot of Mexican seems that way to me, but it's growing on me. My wife and oldest daughter, it's probably their favorite. I tend to prefer Asian as does my youngest.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Wise move.

Lutefisk is the Scandaweigian word for rotten-fish ass jello.
It tastes like rotten fish and ass and the texture is gross jello.

When Andrew Zimmern opens the tin and gags, that tells me it's not something I want to eat.