why barrel people should wear helmets

T

TWHFAN1

fredsaid2 said:
To each his own BUT I've witnessed several occasions where an approved helmet literally saved a rider's life. So, lifer Helmet Nazi here. If you feel the need to wear a helmet sometimes, go ahead and make it an Always. You can't 'do-over' on that one occasion when you should have but didn't. Anyone who instructs, especially those who give lessons to children, should set a good example and promote helmets by always wearing one themselves.

AMEN Sister...or Brother, don't know you! The one time you don't may be your last irde!

flarenuphope

laura+flare= gone
last month i went out riding, and i just got on and i was riding on are driveway. I was thinking "what a nice day its warm, im riding and the soft warm wind in my hair...HAIR?... i knew i was forgetting something" i rode my horse back to my house jumped off and put my helmet on, im glad my horse is calm when we start to ride, cause i didnt have my helmet. though i do like riding bareback with the warm horse under me and the wind in my hair. when i have little kids riding we make them wear ahelmet. any one under 16 does around are house.

fredsaid2

flarenuphope said:
last month i went out riding, and i just got on and i was riding on are driveway. I was thinking "what a nice day its warm, im riding and the soft warm wind in my hair...HAIR?... i knew i was forgetting something" i rode my horse back to my house jumped off and put my helmet on, im glad my horse is calm when we start to ride, cause i didnt have my helmet. though i do like riding bareback with the warm horse under me and the wind in my hair. when i have little kids riding we make them wear ahelmet. any one under 16 does around are house.

I rode all my childhood years san helmet and yes I survived but they weren't around then so I guess I have an 'out' : ) Nowadays it's a no-brainer cause I don't care to have someone feed me and change my Depends just yet!

We you aware that approved helmets are now required for adults o/f? No more hitting 18 and ditching your approved!

Kudos to you for setting a good example!

K

Katie

fredsaid2 said:
I rode all my childhood years san helmet and yes I survived but they weren't around then so I guess I have an 'out' : ) Nowadays it's a no-brainer cause I don't care to have someone feed me and change my Depends just yet!

We you aware that approved helmets are now required for adults o/f? No more hitting 18 and ditching your approved!

Kudos to you for setting a good example!

That is good they make adults wear it also. Adults still fall off, it isn't like when you turn 18 you lose the fall off ability. When I ride saddle seat in shows I wear derby, but practicing I wear the helmet. When I fell off going over the jump and landed on the back of my head that helmet saved my head. It was cracked, but it did it's job.

GallopNTec

fredsaid2 said:
To each his own BUT I've witnessed several occasions where an approved helmet literally saved a rider's life. So, lifer Helmet Nazi here. If you feel the need to wear a helmet sometimes, go ahead and make it an Always. You can't 'do-over' on that one occasion when you should have but didn't. Anyone who instructs, especially those who give lessons to children, should set a good example and promote helmets by always wearing one themselves.
When I learned how to ride( after dirt was formed, before the wheel) we didn't wear helmets. First time I jumped was on a trail ride, led by my instuctor, none of us had helmets!
Just had "hunt caps" back then and they would fly off if you fell anyway.

The last issue of the AQHA mag has an article about teaching inner city kids to ride- not a single one is wearing a helmet!!
Even shows a pic of a teenager on a horse w/ a caption saying it was her first time on a horse!!! :faint:

Cowgirl

I wear a helmet about 97% of the time I ride. The only time I don't is when I trail ride at other places, like on vacation and stuff. I went on a trail ride with her friend and her 5 yr old son. She put her son on the "old bomb-proof horse." She didn't put a helmet on him. When we were coming back up to the barn, that bomb-proof horse got a little fiesty, and took off up the little hill bucking. That poor child fell off and got knocked out. I told her he should've had a helmet. :nono: That was hard to watch.

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
Cowgirl said:
I wear a helmet about 97% of the time I ride. The only time I don't is when I trail ride at other places, like on vacation and stuff. I went on a trail ride with her friend and her 5 yr old son. She put her son on the "old bomb-proof horse." She didn't put a helmet on him. When we were coming back up to the barn, that bomb-proof horse got a little fiesty, and took off up the little hill bucking. That poor child fell off and got knocked out. I told her he should've had a helmet. :nono: That was hard to watch.
:twitch: Thats the hardest thing to watch. The inevitable dump! Mostly a kid... You want so badly to pluck them by the collar and pull them back off of the neck or ears :jameo: . All of the children at the farm have to wear helmets.

TotalControl

Leap Of Faith Farm
[ I went on a trail ride with her friend and her 5 yr old son. She put her son on the "old bomb-proof horse." She didn't put a helmet on him.

I had a bomb proof horse and every time my son was on the back (buddy saddle ) he wore a helmet.. :high5:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
fredsaid2 said:
I love that you wear a helmet as a western rider...Every Ride - Every Time!
i got TWO of the new western style helmets. Busted the first one the first time i rode in it by riding a mare who lived life in a haunted house and she launched out from right under me (with a huge audience mind you) i slammed my head against the ground so hard i saw stars. But the second one is still beautifully intact. :biggrin: http://www.horsesaddleshop.com/western-helmet.html

If you go through the horse threads, you'll prolly see the time the POA ended up ON TOP of me in a gulley with both of us sliding downhill towards the river...etcetera, etcetera.

Attachments

• troxelhelmet.gif
    troxelhelmet.gif
    15.8 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Cowgirl

happyappygirl said:
i got TWO of the new western style helmets. Busted the first one the first time i rode in it by riding a mare who lived life in a haunted house and she launched out from right under me (with a huge audience mind you) i slammed my head against the ground so hard i saw stars. But the second one is still beautifully intact. :biggrin: http://www.horsesaddleshop.com/western-helmet.html

If you go through the horse threads, you'll prolly see the time the POA ended up ON TOP of me in a gulley with both of us sliding downhill towards the river...etcetera, etcetera.

:confused: I think they were talking about the western helmets that were shaped like cowboy hats. I used to see them in catalogs. I was trying to find pictures on the web, but couldn't. I found one site that said they were quickly pulled off the market. This is the closest thing I could find...this is a hardhat. The helmet looked sorta like this, but had a chin strap.

flarenuphope

laura+flare= gone
when i saw those western hats i just busted out laghing. :killingme
omg there soooooooo lame, but if u ummm where them ummm ... its kinda ur choice... hahahaha seriuosly who would were that!!!!! i dont mean 2 make n e 1 mad, if it does.

T

TWHFAN1

Cowgirl said:
:confused: I think they were talking about the western helmets that were shaped like cowboy hats. I used to see them in catalogs. I was trying to find pictures on the web, but couldn't. I found one site that said they were quickly pulled off the market. This is the closest thing I could find...this is a hardhat. The helmet looked sorta like this, but had a chin strap.

Yup, the ones that look like a cowboy hat! Never seen anyone actully wear one. The Troxel western trails helmets look nice. I prefur Egis by Devon Are (SP?) They are awsome. The brims don't break at the slightest touch.

K

Katie

TWHFAN1 said:
Yup, the ones that look like a cowboy hat! Never seen anyone actully wear one. The Troxel western trails helmets look nice. I prefur Egis by Devon Are (SP?) They are awsome. The brims don't break at the slightest touch.

I actually used to see them at the 4-h shows back in the day when they just came out. I thought they looked funny.

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
Cowgirl said:

OMG I know EXACTLY what you are talking about! I worked at a tack store in the 90's when those came out. They were pulled off the market quick...and the english velvet helmets that looked like mushrooms were pulled too. They had too much weight and size to them so people were getting secondary neck injuries from their heads getting whipped around...they were considered unsafe. :boxing:

Thank god...they were UGLY! The western hat part actually velcro'd on and off over the helmet part.