Why can't we be friends?

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
2ndAmendment said:
Absolutely.
In other words, to use scripture in a discussion about people who don't believe getting along with those who do ... kinda seems pointless. :ohwell:

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
crabcake said:
In other words, to use scripture in a discussion about people who don't believe getting along with those who do ... kinda seems pointless. :ohwell:
Too bad. Can't debate anyone into believing anything.

crabcake

2ndAmendment said:
Too bad. Can't debate anyone into believing anything.
I'm not being pissy; I'm just saying that to use scripture as justification for something with someone who doesn't believe in God is a mute point. They don't believe in the person these words are attributed to, so why would they lend any merit to 'em? :shrug:

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
crabcake said:
I'm not being pissy; I'm just saying that to use scripture as justification for something with someone who doesn't believe in God is a mute point. They don't believe in the person these words are attributed to, so why would they lend any merit to 'em? :shrug:
I'm not being pissy either. It is not a Christian's job to cajole, arm twist, argue, debate, or otherwise try to convince anyone that God is real and that His plan of salvation is true. It is our job to present His word and let the Holy Spirit speak to the soul of the persons hearing or reading.

Conviction comes from the Holy Spirit. Condemnation comes from satan. The similarity between conviction and condemnation is that a person is presented with their failings. The difference between conviction and condemnation is that a person is presented God's love and grace in conviction and condemnation says there is no hope so you might as well give up.

supersurfer

2A, still wondering why you replied to me in this thread here.
You know shake the dust off your feet... Anathema...

remember?
2A said:
And since you have, by your own admission, blasphemed against the Holy Spirit, there is nothing to discuss with you.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
crabcake said:
Nevermind ... it's the Christmas season ... I'm not in the mood to argue. :ohwell:
I didn't think we were arguing. I was just posting why I use scripture. If a person is convicted by it, great. If they are condemned by it, that's too bad because that is not the intent. If they don't believe it, then I have done what I was suppose to do, and they can freely go about their way.

crabcake

2ndAmendment said:
I didn't think we were arguing. I was just posting why I use scripture. If a person is convicted by it, great. If they are condemned by it, that's too bad because that is not the intent. If they don't believe it, then I have done what I was suppose to do, and they can freely go about their way.
My point is that -- to a non-believer -- a non-living creature doesn't have a voice to speak a word that could be recorded for later interpretation (i.e., God -- word of God -- Bible) ... thus stating scripture from a God one doesn't believe exists is like speaking Farsi to a Canadian. :shrug:

I see what you mean by "hey, here it is -- believe at will" ... but if someone has made a conscience decision there isn't a God, their mind isn't likely open to what that "nonexistent God" has to say.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
crabcake said:
My point is that -- to a non-believer -- a non-living creature doesn't have a voice to speak a word that could be recorded for later interpretation (i.e., God -- word of God -- Bible) ... thus stating scripture from a God one doesn't believe exists is like speaking Farsi to a Canadian. :shrug:

I see what you mean by "hey, here it is -- believe at will" ... but if someone has made a conscience decision there isn't a God, their mind isn't likely open to what that "nonexistent God" has to say.
Agreed. But I have done what Jesus commissioned all His followers to do. I am being true to my faith.

Esprix

crabcake said:

I have to agree here. I'm not atheist (I'd say agnostic, if you want a label), but anyone who starts quoting the Bible at me and expect that to be their entire argument, they automatically lose. You want to use it as reference to a greater point you're trying to make, fine, but when you start expecting me to recognize its authority and accept what it says without question, you're nuts. I'm waaaaaaay past that point in my life (I mean, you can't live in this country without being exposed to vast amounts of Christian doctrine, so it's not like I haven't heard everything they're saying before - I've read the Bible many times, thanks), so if you want to talk to me or debate with me, let's talk issues in a common language, not throwing what you consider to be authority at me and waiting for me to say, "Ah, yes, I totally agree with you now..."

Esprix

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
The idea that any of you is going to change based on what's written here in these so-called discussions, is optimistic at best. These are not legitimate discussions of innocently asked questions, and you all know that. This is like the old gag with Lucy holding the football for Charlie Brown to kick - same stupid antics every time.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Railroad said:
The idea that any of you is going to change based on what's written here in these so-called discussions, is optimistic at best. These are not legitimate discussions of innocently asked questions, and you all know that. This is like the old gag with Lucy holding the football for Charlie Brown to kick - same stupid antics every time.
:yeahthat:

I don't think debate ever saved anyone, so there is no point in it. You are either convicted that you need a relationship with God or you are not. For those that are, I am here to help in any way I can. For those that are not, I will keep out of the fray.

Toxick

Splat
Oy ####ing vey.

Let's see if I have the jist of this correct:

First, I made a wisecrack about going to heaven and missing my atheist friends who are burning in hell. Then supersurfer said that maybe I can look in on my friends in hell from time to time. At which point 2A provided a biblical reference which supported the notion put forth.

At no point in this thread have I seen scripture used to prove, disprove, or otherwise debate information.

Yet there still seems to be an argument afoot about using gospel to debate with heathens.

Is this about accurate?

:smack:
SHADDAP ALREADY!

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
As I read the former replies that you've all made, I felt, or sensed a phrase pop up my head:

Free Will

It was given to us, and those who came before us many thousands of years ago, and then some, by the Lord God.

It's your choice to believe in Jesus, the Holy Spirit, and the Lord God.

The way I see it is this: There are a lot of things in the Bible that aren't that well explained, and many times, as theologians I've read say - there are no explanations.

Many of those who don't believe in the Trinity, also will not believe in the Bible. They fall into that category, I think, because they cannot satisfy their hunger for answers; they cannot rationalize it, so then they give up on it all - say it's hogwash, etc.

That is your choice!