Why does everyone hate self-checkout?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't want to shop anywhere that *doesn't* have it. It's faster, it's more accurate, you can keep better track of getting your sale and BOGO items, and you can put things in your bags according to what they are instead of having everything just tossed in, cleaner with produce and canned goods thrown on top of eggs or bread.

Seriously, why do people hate self-checkout so much?

Grumpy

I don't want to shop anywhere that *doesn't* have it. It's faster, it's more accurate, you can keep better track of getting your sale and BOGO items, and you can put things in your bags according to what they are instead of having everything just tossed in, cleaner with produce and canned goods thrown on top of eggs or bread.

Seriously, why do people hate self-checkout so much?
No hate here, I like getting in and out of stores quickly.

Clem72

I don't think most people hate it, or even a particularly large percentage of people. It's just that the people who do hate it are extra vocal about it.

I use it most of the time unless the line is long (and it often is, so again people don't hate it).

And when they complain it's generally something along the lines of "they should pay me to do my own checkout" or "I should get a discount for doing their job". I think part of it is also people who want an excuse to talk to the checker or regularly try to do something silly like use a dozen out of date coupons or get a discount for dented cans.

phreddyp

I don't hate self-checkout, but what I do hate is when you search an item and it is not in the database! happens all the time at the California Walmart for the mulch, top soil and pretty much anything from the garden center. They have to bring a flyer over to get the bar code.

PJay

Rouses is the best grocery store in the U.S.A. and I am fortunate to have one near me!

That is all.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
For a few items..great...

but for a over flowing shopping cart..not so much.
Both Giant and WalMart have low limits, like less than 12 items on most of the self-check lines. There are one or two that are for large loads, with a full, regular belt system, but their preference is for you to use a cashier for large loads.

I always use the self-check line, for all the reasons Vrai said above.

DaSDGuy

Don't hate self checkout. Hate being asked to show my receipt after they watched me do the checkout for them.
They hate when I insist they pay me to see MY receipt. I bought it. I paid for it. It's my property. They want to read it? Fine. $20 cash, in advance. Otherwise, go buy your own receipt to read. Now, if Wally World has one of their cashiers check me out and I still get asked for the receipt the answer is no.

Last edited:

DaSDGuy

Don't hate self checkout. Hate being asked to show my receipt after they watched me do the checkout for them.
They hate when I insist they pay me to see MY receipt. I bought. I paid for it. It's my property. They want to read it? Fine. $20 cash, in advance. Otherwise, go buy your own to receipt to read. Now, if Wally World has one of their cashiers check me out and I still get asked for the receipt the answer is no.
And while you are at it, Stay Off My Lawn!!

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I don't mind using self-checkout, but I hate that the landing zone for my bagged groceries is so dang small. If I have a grocery cart full of food and household items, I need a much larger space than a 2'x2' place to load and store my filled bags.

PJay

Both Giant and WalMart have low limits, like less than 12 items on most of the self-check lines. There are one or two that are for large loads, with a full, regular belt system, but their preference is for you to use a cashier for large loads.

I wish WalMart was still open 24 hours a day.

That said. WalMart my location have fewer and fewer cashier's. Late evening you have to use self- check line no matter the load. Sad.

Escalade14

Go Rams!
I like using self checkout myself, personally prefer it to waiting in line at a register. With that being said, there’s a sort of social stigma with regards to checking yourself out, like previously mentioned people can/will complain about having to do everything on their own compared to cashiers.

The ironic part about it is, people complain that self checkouts take jobs away from employees, but they still need employees to watch over the terminals to prevent underscans or items intentionally ringing up as something else much cheaper.

At the same time, people complain about having to do the employee’s work without any compensation, but yet they’ll gladly do similar things without asking or demanding recompense. It goes without saying that in this current era, you can’t please everyone.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
At the same time, people complain about having to do the employee’s work without any compensation, but yet they’ll gladly do similar things without asking or demanding recompense.
Pumping gas comes to mind. No one ever pumped their own fuel, now the only state where you cannot is New Jersey. You'd think that getting a handfull of gas and getting your shoes dirty from an over-spill would be far more intolerable than a self-check line.

TPD

the poor dad
I’ve heard that with the remodel of the California Walmart, it is all self checkout now. Any truth to this?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I’ve heard that with the remodel of the California Walmart, it is all self checkout now. Any truth to this?
I had to run in last Monday for a work item. All I saw was self checkout. I did because it was only 1 item.

TPD

the poor dad
Two of my aunts (both 75+) and I were discussing the Walmart self checkouts today. They both shop there but said this could stop them from going. Like myself, they do not like self checkouts and refuse to use them. This could backfire on Walmart, especially with the older crowd. Time will see. It is interesting that DG has decided to close most of their self checkouts while Walmart seems to be going all in on them. That’s what makes America great - choices and Trump, not Joe Biden.

limblips

PREMO Member
Very seldom use a cashiered checkout. My time is worth something and self-checkout is quicker 99% of the time. As for them not paying me to do my own checkout, they don't pay me to put my cart away when I am done, they don't pay me to bag my produce in those flimsy shitbags, and they don't pay me to weigh my produce either. If the argument is taking away an employee then order online and have it delivered, problem solved!

Bare-ya-cuda

If you haven’t been to the Walmart here in st Mary’s lately that have changed just about every checkout to self check out. Not that Walmart ever had that many manned registers but that far fewer $15 hour minimum wage jobs in the county.

TPD

the poor dad
$15 minimum wage - for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. At some point, government will mandate businesses to hire x number of employees based on sales In order to prove their policies work.