Why does my birth certificate say "Lexington Park"?

glhs837

Power with Control
I have two sisters and a son that were all born at Pax (1958, 1961, and 1981) and all their certificates have NAS Pax River as the location.

Tried to look up my birth announcement in the old base papers. Sadly that weeks Tester was not published due to Xmas schedules.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Tried to look up my birth announcement in the old base papers. Sadly that weeks Tester was not published due to Xmas schedules.

But the birth announcement would've been published in the first issue of the Tester after Xmas. Did you check the issues after Xmas?

glhs837

Power with Control
But the birth announcement would've been published in the first issue of the Tester after Xmas. Did you check the issues after Xmas?

Yep, no joy, I fell between the cracks. They didn't publish the week before Xmas's births since they didn't publish that week. And they came back, they only published the week of Xmas.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Nope, Enterprise doesn't appear to list births that I can see, although the Xmas edition for 1964 has cool pics of both Chopticon HS and what I think is Lexington Park Elementary under construction. :) Just tiled Elementary school on Willow Road.

and the beacon was missing from 58 or so til the 70s.

I've seen some birth announcements (they seem scattered), but I used the search feature for "birth", maybe you could search with your last name and see if anything pops up.

glhs837

Power with Control
I've seen some birth announcements (they seem scattered), but I used the search feature for "birth", maybe you could search with your last name and see if anything pops up.

Negative. Name doesn't pop, Births nets no results later than November 64. Birth does snag a few, seems that what you get is individual announcements per District by whomever wrote for that district. So I imagine many sailors, even the ones that lived in town might not make it in, given they would not normally be plugged into the county grapevine.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Negative. Name doesn't pop, Births nets no results later than November 64. Birth does snag a few, seems that what you get is individual announcements per District by whomever wrote for that district. So I imagine many sailors, even the ones that lived in town might not make it in, given they would not normally be plugged into the county grapevine.

Well, don't know what to tell you. Other than your sister are there aunts or uncles that might know the story? Maybe a call to the Health Department might give you some insight as to why your certificate says Lex Park,they should have the vital records. Could you have been born at a doctor's office?

glhs837

Power with Control
Well, don't know what to tell you. Other than your sister are there aunts or uncles that might know the story? Maybe a call to the Health Department might give you some insight as to why your certificate says Lex Park,they should have the vital records. Could you have been born at a doctor's office?

No, since the family was all remote so to speak, none of them would know anything. Could have been, don't know. In any case, I have learned a lot more than I expected.

inkah

So, while filling out for the background check today, the young guy noticed I had put Lexington Park as my place birth these 52 years ago...... He thought that was odd, as there have never been any hospitals, barring the clinic on base of course, but I cannot imagine they offered childbirth services back in 64. Any local old timers know why that might be? Pretty sure I wasnt a home birth.

My child was born at Pax. She is barely half your age. They quit birthing babies shortly after she was born. But I suspect her birth certificate is for Patuxent River, not Lexington Park.

Is it possible Patuxent River didn't have its own zip code back in your day?

glhs837

Power with Control
My child was born at Pax. She is barely half your age. They quit birthing babies shortly after she was born. But I suspect her birth certificate is for Patuxent River, not Lexington Park.

Is it possible Patuxent River didn't have its own zip code back in your day?

Well, Ken said his sisters, born in 1958 and 1961 both had Pax River on theirs, and mine was 1964. Most likely some bit of laziness on the part of a clerk somewhere, who put my parents address on it instead of the actual place I was born at. No harm, since that's whats in the official records after all.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Well, Ken said his sisters, born in 1958 and 1961 both had Pax River on theirs, and mine was 1964. Most likely some bit of laziness on the part of a clerk somewhere, who put my parents address on it instead of the actual place I was born at. No harm, since that's whats in the official records after all.

I was number 4 of 4 kids my parents had. Although dad was in the Navy, he was deployed when I was born and mom opted to have me at the old St. Mary's Hospital in Leonardtown instead of at Pax. This was in the early 60s. Somewhere along the way, I lost my original birth certificate and had to get a copy this year. Interesting that nowhere on it does it state exactly where I was born other than "County of Birth" says "St. Mary's." I know the original stated "Leonardtown" and "St. Mary's Hospital." :confused:

black dog

Free America
Many times two birth certificates were given, one fancy one that might have feet prints and lots on information and scroll work around the sides from the birth hospital and a much more generic certificate from the county or state.