Why is it so hard to find decent employees in SOMD?

awpitt

Main Streeter
I'm on the other end of that view, my cousin graduated HS a year early with the help of AP classes, he went on to get two masters and a doctorate from U of M and John's Hopkins. He was a tenured professor at Carnegie Mellon for 15 years or so and now he teaches at some college in Washington State​.
The lady that floats in my hot tub, also started college with over 20 college credits with taking AP classes during the school year and in summer school.
She has a masters and a law doctorate from University of Maryland.
Both saved thousands on there College tuitions.
I would say that some folks just have the fortitude to go all the way, and most don't.
But what would I know, I'm a dumbass blue collar welder. But I did my 4+ years of Elevator Journeyman school in 2 years.

Edit, I was just corrected. The lady has two masters and a Law Doctorate.

Wow... That's impressive. I mean all three of you.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Isn't that a friggin' mess...or shame, depending on your point of view. We're one of the few "contractors" that still gets task orders more or less on our terms but even those terms are steadily deteriorating. Pretty close to refusing all business from the DoD. Much rather stick with our foreign naval and commercial customers.

I'm not sure what he's talking about, but if the reference is to the "new", "leaner" NAVAIR, yes, a higher percentage of the CSS is unmotivated, lacks the skills or knowledge you would expect - but they are being paid 50% less than the person who was filling that job before.

You get what you pay for.

Yes, that's not to say there are people out there who take pride in their job but they feel screwed over with the pay cuts and benefit cuts. Most support contracts seem to have come down to who can bid the lowest and technical ability be damned. They figure there are people desperate enough for a job they will be able to fill the billets.

PeoplesElbow

I would say that some folks just have the fortitude to go all the way, and most don't.

If that aint a true statement, I don't know what is.

Being from a blue collar family and the first member of which to go to college failure was not an option. I couldn't believe how many 18 year olds got there and didn't try at all.

My high school was supposedly the best one around and I was so inadequately prepared for college level math I had to take college algebra and trig. I was devastated when I found out that I had to do that, but it was the best thing I ever did, in a group of math geeks I was the math geek after that.

black dog

Free America
If that aint a true statement, I don't know what is.

Being from a blue collar family and the first member of which to go to college failure was not an option. I couldn't believe how many 18 year olds got there and didn't try at all.

My high school was supposedly the best one around and I was so inadequately prepared for college level math I had to take college algebra and trig. I was devastated when I found out that I had to do that, but it was the best thing I ever did, in a group of math geeks I was the math geek after that.

I also grew up in a blue collar family, my dad's father drove trolley cars and then buses in DC as did two of his brothers. We lived in Bethesda, Old Georgetown Rd, just outside of the beltway a few blocks. My dad a carrier enlisted Navy Frogman, his brother was the first to go and finish College. He was a Officer bubble head in the Franklin Class and finished his Nuke degree at Maryland University. My dad grad from BCC HS and his brother from Walter Johnson HS as myself and my younger sister. She went into the Navy with ROTC and she ended up with a bunch of forensic degrees and is finishing her Doctorate while teaching at Florida State and the University of Florida.
My other two sisters and my one brother that grewup with our mother all went and got a 4 year degree.
Me I just went into the service, that was my college. The uneducated outcast that gets dirty for a living..

MarieB

This. 2 classes from my accounting degree, working in Admin / office for approximately 20 years, applied for about 15 jobs within the last 3 months and nothing.

Good luck and congrats on your soon to be degree :)

It's the same thing I hear over and over again around here. I'm guessing once you have that degree it will hopefully be easier for you to at least get an interview and even better that job that you are looking for

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Good luck and congrats on your soon to be degree :)

It's the same thing I hear over and over again around here. I'm guessing once you have that degree it will hopefully be easier for you to at least get an interview and even better that job that you are looking for

Thank you! It's hard to find anything because the base really doesn't have entry level receptionist type stuff and most other places that do hire for that pay less than what I make now. I'll just keep plugging along and hopefully something will pan out soon.

PeoplesElbow

Thank you! It's hard to find anything because the base really doesn't have entry level receptionist type stuff and most other places that do hire for that pay less than what I make now. I'll just keep plugging along and hopefully something will pan out soon.

Does where ever you are getting your degree from have a career services center? Most fresh outs (and you will be considered one) that I knew got their first jobs through their schools career service centers interviewing. Every single interview I went on before I graduated (I had a job 4 months before I graduated) originated through my schools, that is because that is where employers go when they want to hire someone fresh out of college.