Wicker Furniture

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
I'm full of it today I know... I have two wicker chairs that were my late grandmothers that I'd like to use in my fireplace room. The wicker itself is in good shape but the paint it kinda shotty. How do I repaint them? The only think I can think of is spraypaint. :confused:

And where would I go to get new cushions?

Pete

Repete
pixiegirl said:
I'm full of it today I know... I have two wicker chairs that were my late grandmothers that I'd like to use in my fireplace room. The wicker itself is in good shape but the paint it kinda shotty. How do I repaint them? The only think I can think of is spraypaint. :confused:

I have a sprayer you can borrow.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
First - take 'em outside and spray them off with a hose and let them completely dry. Then you need to take fine grade sand paper and get all the rough spots out. Then you need to spray them off with the hose again and let dry. Next, you can use can spray paint or better yet, rent one of those commercial sprayers. Check with any home supply store. Also, if you use can spray paint, read what it will actually "stick" to - some are meant only for metal. Let dry completely between coats. As for cushions - any outdoor center - such as merrifield or even lowe's will carry cushions. Your best bet thu is to search online or even get a local upholstery to custom make it. :huggy:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
pixiegirl said:
So like regular wall paint in a sprayer? :stupid:

You'll have to humor me. I really don't want to mess them up.

Again, check what it will "stick" to - but one of your best bets is latex outdoor paint.

K

Kizzy

migtig said:
First - take 'em outside and spray them off with a hose and let them completely dry. Then you need to take fine grade sand paper and get all the rough spots out. Then you need to spray them off with the hose again and let dry. Next, you can use can spray paint or better yet, rent one of those commercial sprayers. Check with any home supply store. Also, if you use can spray paint, read what it will actually "stick" to - some are meant only for metal. Let dry completely between coats. As for cushions - any outdoor center - such as merrifield or even lowe's will carry cushions. Your best bet thu is to search online or even get a local upholstery to custom make it. :huggy:

^^ this is good advice - actually - I would NOT use regular house paint - they do have wicker spray paint - check the hardware store :yay:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
pixiegirl said:
I got cushions for my all-weather wicker set online, but I don't remember right now what the name of the store was but I do have it bookmarked at home. I can post it tonight. They were cheaper than any of the stores around and they had a large selection of fabric.

If you don't want to go online, try Pier 1. They have a large selection.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
jazz lady said:
I got cushions for my all-weather wicker set online, but I don't remember right now what the name of the store was but I do have it bookmarked at home. I can post it tonight. They were cheaper than any of the stores around and they had a large selection of fabric.
Found them! http://wickercushionsnc.com/

I've had the cushions on my front porch for a few years now and they still look new. :yay: And the cats LOVE them. :lol:

K

Kizzy

jazz lady said:
Found them! http://wickercushionsnc.com/

I've had the cushions on my front porch for a few years now and they still look new. :yay: And the cats LOVE them. :lol:

Ohhh great site - I painted a wooden rocking bench that was left outside by the previous owners of our house and moved it to the front porch. The cushions are toast, and I even got some fabric to make new ones. But ordering them seems so much easier. :lol:

They have some nice ones too.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Kizzy said:
Ohhh great site - I painted a wooden rocking bench that was left outside by the previous owners of our house and moved it to the front porch. The cushions are toast, and I even got some fabric to make new ones. But ordering them seems so much easier. :lol:

They have some nice ones too.
I got the Ford Flamestitch pattern under the Waverly Prints area for my set. I also got a couple of throw pillows for the settee.

I just noticed they now carry replacement cushions for Swivel Rockers and Papasan chairs, which I also have on my porch, so I'm sure I'll be placing another order soon. :yay:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
jazz lady said:
I got the Ford Flamestitch pattern under the Waverly Prints area for my set. I also got a couple of throw pillows for the settee.

I just noticed they now carry replacement cushions for Swivel Rockers and Papasan chairs, which I also have on my porch, so I'm sure I'll be placing another order soon. :yay:
I just ordered the replacement cushions online: Papasan, swivel rocker, ottoman, and two throw pillows came to $140 plus shipping. We'll see how long it takes them to get here.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
jazz lady said:
I just ordered the replacement cushions online: Papasan, swivel rocker, ottoman, and two throw pillows came to $140 plus shipping. We'll see how long it takes them to get here.
Whoo-hoo! They came today and they are bea-U-tiful. :clap:

I'm very, very pleased with the quality of the cushions and how quickly they got here. :yay: :yay:

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
pixiegirl said:
I'm full of it today I know... I have two wicker chairs that were my late grandmothers that I'd like to use in my fireplace.
I recommend cutting them up first......:killingme

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
If you put 100 monkeys in a room with wicker and they have an infinite amount of time, they will eventually weave a functional reclining wicker chair. Its true.