wigs to donate for Cancer patients locally?

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I am relying on your help to point me in the right direction again. Someone generously donated wigs for a woman to our yard sale donations. We would like to see these wigs help women who are cancer patients. There are high end wigs, so they should be able to work well for a woman who has lost her hair due to cancer treatments. It would be nice if these wigs could be used locally in So. MD. The wigs are all short styles and dark brunette hair.

Thanks for your assistance!

SD1492

Not sure, but I would contact the hosptials in your area. Don't be surprised if they say no. When I was going throught CANCER treatments back in 99/01 anything I purchased for my well being had to be "NEW". When your going through these treatments your immune system is much weaker and sometimes if you catch a bug (common cold for example) it could literally mean the difference between life and death. Great idea none the less, but don't be surprised. You could also check out the retirement facilities or maybe hospic. Good luck

mamissa3

At one point the look good feel good program that st Mary's does took wigs. We donated my moms after she died

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
When we get all the donations out for the fundraiser yard sale on Saturday, we can count up what we have and set them aside. I think there were about 5 or 6. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

marianne

Not sure, but I would contact the hosptials in your area. Don't be surprised if they say no. When I was going throught CANCER treatments back in 99/01 anything I purchased for my well being had to be "NEW". When your going through these treatments your immune system is much weaker and sometimes if you catch a bug (common cold for example) it could literally mean the difference between life and death. Great idea none the less, but don't be surprised. You could also check out the retirement facilities or maybe hospic. Good luck

I have a loved one starting chemo soon. Can you or anyone suggest salons that may be good for thinning hair or thinning out a wig? I'm searching the forums but not finding much.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I have a loved one starting chemo soon. Can you or anyone suggest salons that may be good for thinning hair or thinning out a wig? I'm searching the forums but not finding much.

So sorry for you and your loved one. I hope things go well.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !

That's a good point, but I would think that the wigs could be disinfected by some process that would still leave them in usable condition? At least I HOPE so. A senior facility or hospice would also be a good option - thanks.

Chris0nllyn

Contact Scalped Salon and Spa.

They do tons of work with Cancer patients, and should be able to atleast point you in the right direction.

acommondisaster

If you can't find a home for the wigs with the cancer people, maybe a theater group (like Port Tobacco Players in La Plata) could use them?

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
This is why I love this forum so much - you all always have great ideas. Thanks for all the input so far!