William and Kate- the new King and Queen

Clem72

Same here.

That said, I was under the impression that Charles forfeited the throne as soon as he got a divorce. Isn't there some such rule (or whatever guiding influence dictates the behavior of royalty) that a divorcee cannot attain the crown.

You may be thinking of Henry the VIII's famous "annulments", which were done so as not to piss off the Pope/Catholics. Has nothing to do with succession, and if you haven't heard the Windsor's aren't Catholic so they don't need to tiptoe around the concept of divorce.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
You may be thinking of Henry the VIII's famous "annulments", which were done so as not to piss off the Pope/Catholics. Has nothing to do with succession, and if you haven't heard the Windsor's aren't Catholic so they don't need to tiptoe around the concept of divorce.

More likely Edward the VIII, who abdicated the throne to marry an American divorcee.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Linkie won't work for me. I looked it up elsewhere and it's being called rumors, and not reliable... :ohwell:

BOP

For the same reason Americans give attention to any celebrity, except that the Royals actually do good works around the world and don't just entertain us.

Our celebrities do too do good works!

Of course they're being well-paid, wined and dined, and accorded luxurious travel accommodations, so that they can try to strong-arm governments and individuals into donating to charity so the celebrities don't have to spend their own money.

But still....