Wind Farms in Somerset County

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
Someone lied to you if you think windmill vibes are an issue. The problem is that the windmills have a huge radar cross section (RCS) and they show up like a rockfish swimming with a school of minnows.

that is the ISSUE, and it will hurt a huge part of NAVAIR testing that only is done here.....

glhs837

Power with Control
So, the meat of it is, "We know it's not feasible to make power this way efficiently, but if you want us to spend a lot of govt dollars proving that, why sure, we would be glad to."

Curious99

1. Wind turbine blades kill bald and golden eagles by the thousands. Thanks to new legislation, they will be able to do so legally. You can probably add ospreys as well. (That should rid us of those pesky little national symbols.)
2. Wind turbine blades produce a low frequency beating that can be felt and affects humans, bats and some animals.
3. Shadows of whirling blades falling across homes have driven some people nearly insane.
4. Manufacture, construction, maintenance & decommissioning costs of wind turbines make them cost ineffective over their life span. They are not green.
5. If you have a TV antenna, kiss your reception good-bye.

And this sort of interference from the wind turbine generators is what has Central City, PA in an uproar over the windfarms affecting their farms, wildlife and human health...

Kay Armstrong, who lives near a wind farm in Ontario, Canada, has reported that her home is now “virtually uninhabitable” due to the infrasound from the turbines disturbing her sleep and making her feel dizzy. She also says that local deer are agitated and awake all night, that birds are flying around all day rather than going to roost, and that seals in the area are suffering miscarriages.

In another instance in Canada, an emu farm had to close after its animals started becoming aggressive and losing weight when wind turbines were installed nearby. Something similar happened in Taiwan in 2009, when about 400 goats died from exhaustion due to being unable to sleep thanks to noise from a nearby wind farm.

An academic study from Portugal also blamed wind turbines for deformities in foals born nearby, while an Australian vet said working dogs living near a wind farm were exhibiting unusual behaviour, often refusing to work or even get out of their kennels.

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-...Linked-to-Wind-Turbines-near-Danish-Mink-Farm

The birds and bat problems are well documented. Other than anecdotal, are there creditable links for the rest of this?

mamatutu

mama to two
We passed a wind farm in PA this past weekend. Only 2 or 3 of a couple dozen were turning. I don't claim to understand wind farms, but why would only some/few be turning? And it only makes sense that these wind mills are detrimental to birds, and other flying creatures.

glhs837

Power with Control
Wonder if Governor Hogan can put a stop to it, or if wont due to it not being worth his political capital. Also wonder in Trump era Feds might not disapprove of it.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
pretty sure NAVAIR put in their two cents to not build there, We'll see If Trump cares as much as he says about defense.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Wonder if Governor Hogan can put a stop to it, or if wont due to it not being worth his political capital. Also wonder in Trump era Feds might not disapprove of it.

There has a been a sudden burst of activity in the infant large offshore wind farm activity in along the eastern coast, with several of the major players in European and Scandinavian wind energy sector winning the lease auctions here in the US. MD, NJ, NY all let major offshore tracts.

glhs837

Power with Control
There has a been a sudden burst of activity in the infant large offshore wind farm activity in along the eastern coast, with several of the major players in European and Scandinavian wind energy sector winning the lease auctions here in the US. MD, NJ, NY all let major offshore tracts.

Dem states trying to lock in stuff contractually so the TrumpFed cant block them?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Dem states trying to lock in stuff contractually so the TrumpFed cant block them?

I see no evidence of that. What I see are seriously experienced foreign operators coming here to buy up US offshore leases and set up big wind farms...for real. I have to admit I didn't think that would happen...

glhs837

Power with Control
I see no evidence of that. What I see are seriously experienced foreign operators coming here to buy up US offshore leases and set up big wind farms...for real. I have to admit I didn't think that would happen...

Can those guys hack it if subsidies go away?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Can those guys hack it if subsidies go away?

That is exactly what they are banking on. This is real money..not the totally wasted crap that has characterized all US offshore wind farm activity to this point. The reductions in operational overheads they've achieved in Europe the last few years are nothing short of stunning...defied all predictions.

glhs837

Power with Control
That is exactly what they are banking on. This is real money..not the totally wasted crap that has characterized all US offshore wind farm activity to this point. The reductions in operational overheads they've achieved in Europe the last few years are nothing short of stunning...defied all predictions.

Sustainable, though? Long term maint upkeep, that sort of thing?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Sustainable, though? Long term maint upkeep, that sort of thing?

There certainly are maintenance issues to deal with. Turbine blade leading edge erosion is one that bedevils the industry a great deal. The machines are complex. But it's still a "fledgling" industry even where it's huge, in Europe. So the truly long-term issues are yet to be shown..

We don't want them to become "too reliable"...our business is supplying equipment to the vessels that cart the maintenance and repair crews around. ;-)

glhs837

Power with Control
There certainly are maintenance issues to deal with. Turbine blade leading edge erosion is one that bedevils the industry a great deal. The machines are complex. But it's still a "fledgling" industry even where it's huge, in Europe. So the truly long-term issues are yet to be shown..

We don't want them to become "too reliable"...our business is supplying equipment to the vessels that cart the maintenance and repair crews around. ;-)

I see.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/14/...ffshore-wind-subsidy-dong-energy.html?mcubz=1

Wishbone

Need to develop a power generation station using this design.

Power it with deposed democrats.

wheel_of_pain.jpg