Wind Turbines for St Mary's

Velocity26

Yea, I am not Green Peace, just want to save the hole SMECO is burning in my pocket. I am looking at a 4-6 year return on investment. The first thing you need to do is figure what your total KW Hours consumed per year is so to best match a system to your needs and pocketbook. I wanted to get the best bang for the buck and went to a 20 kw turbine.
How many kWh are you using per year???? :faint:

My avg. kWh is 8400/year. avg. elec. bill = $165.00/mth x 12 mths. = $1,980.00/year = 25 years just to buy the thing.

SamSpade

Eff that!!! $47K for an 80' tower EXCLUDING installation. No ROI. :boo:

This is why I'm playing wait and see. That kind of power would probably provide me with ALL of my electrical needs for the year - but it would easily be ten years or more to recoup that cost, and that's betting there are no failures, accidents, and the wind speed average is always good.

I've looked into solar, but it's also expensive. Most configurations I've seen, my ROI exceeds the lifetime expectancy of the panels.

Without some kind of state grant, it ain't happening at my house unless they find a cheaper way to get it.

SamSpade

How many kWh are you using per year???? :faint:

My avg. kWh is 8400/year. avg. elec. bill = $165.00/mth x 12 mths. = $1,980.00/year = 25 years just to buy the thing.

You're lucky - mine's a lot more than that, by about three times. 8-10 years for me.

And that's with me using compact flourescents, insulating, caulking, weather proofing and keeping the place mostly dark and all the devices unplugged when out of use, and the thermostat down.

Velocity26

You're lucky - mine's a lot more than that, by about three times. 8-10 years for me.

And that's with me using compact flourescents, insulating, caulking, weather proofing and keeping the place mostly dark and all the devices unplugged when out of use, and the thermostat down.
Sam,
Mine was a lot more too. Last spring I installed a 16 seer HVAC system and my usage was cut in over half. I have about 2,300 sq. ft. all electric. I rarely cook though and T-stat stays at 67 winter, 73 summer.

W

Windman

Wind Technology

I have a re-furbished Jacobs that cost $26K. Plus will get $10K from MEA once installed and certified. Critical Area is no longer an issue and no Variance required.

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
WIndman, what are you using for storage? I'm assuming lead acid? How many and what type?

W

Windman

Wind Technology

Folks. I got a 20 kw Turbine for I consume about 33,000 kwh a year. If you consume 8000-9000 kwh a year, a 20 kw system is over kill. I spend $5000 a year on utility costs. If you do Wind Turbine, you need to match the unit meeting your power consumption.

W

Windman

Wind Technology

These Turbines are Grid Tie meaning you are still hooked to SMECO. By law, when the Grid goes down, the turbine cannot produce power. This is to protect the SMECO lineman out in the field trying to get the grid back up. You don't want to "Fry" the lineman. If you go off the grid, you could do some battery backup. SMECO will give you a new meter for this system so that it records how much power you put back on the grid when you over produce. Called Net Metering. You get credit for power produced.

W

Windman

What is the best way to re-fresh updated messages on this page?

W

Windman

Wind Technology

Any looking for a 17.5kw Jacobs Turbine? Got one...

W

Windman

I have a Jacobs 17.5 kw turbine. Vendor sent by mistake...

W

Windman

Wind Technology

Folks, like I said I have a Jacobs 17.5 kW Wind Turbine the vendor sent by mistake. The vendor thinks he has a buyer in Indiana. If interested, let me know and will get you contact information with Vendor. You would still need tower, inverter and blades that vendor can get.

W

Windman

Wind Technology

Top Pic.jpg

This is the Jacobs system...