Window shopping

wittykitty

I need windows. My house was built in the early 90s and the windows are junk. They’re not even sealed to the pane anymore so I have them taped to prevent air flow, and it’s not pretty at all. In my dining room, the curtain moves when the wind blows on a super windy day.
I prefer to support a local business, but damn it seems ridiculously expensive from what I have learned so far! I guess the window business is focused on making top dollar because they probably won’t be seeing you in the near future for repeated business.
I’m looking for some insight here, and I need ideas of how to restore the existing windows or a maybe reputable contractor for new installations.

InigoMontoya

If the wood is still in good shape (no dry rot or water damage) and has just shrunk away from the existing caulking / putty, it's not overly expensive to redo the putty. Any general contractor / handy man should be able to perform this service. This is much cheaper than replacing the entire window.

wittykitty

Unfortunately, each window has it’s own unique problem, although every single one doesn’t open/close without getting man muscles involved. Two of them don’t close entirely, and there’s a gap between the window and the bottom of the frame where air can get through. Every single window has glass that isn’t sealed to the pane, and it flaps back n forth, so I have them taped to prevent movement.
I’ve explored the options of possibly gluing them to the pane it has detached from, and maybe putting weather strip in the bottom ledge where it leaves a gap. What sort of glue would I use for that? Is weather stripping easily found and easy to install?
That would just leave the issue of having trouble opening them.

InigoMontoya

To redo the putty, you want to use a putty specifically for windows - like linseed oil putty. Linseed oil has a natural resistance to water so it's perfect for this type of project. Weather stripping can be found at walmart, and usually has an adhesive backing that you peel off and press down into the gap. It comes in varying thicknesses and widths. As far as the difficulty opening / closing, it sounds like moisture has gotten into the frame or sash (or both) and caused them to swell over time. As far as I know there is no fix for this other then replacing the entire affected area.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Are the windows aluminum, vinyl or wood? Life expectancy varies by material (15 to 20 for aluminum, 20 to 40 for vinyl, and 30+ for wood dependent on care). Another factor for not closing or opening properly is house settling which can skew the alignment. Also if wood windows the glazing is typically only good for about 10 years, again dependent on care, cleaning, weather and the installation of storm windows.

Yes, windows are expensive for anything that will last a few years. I have a south-facing wall with 6 windows, house was built in 1970. The sun did it's damage. Wood was bleached, strings for the counter weights aged and snapped, etc... I replaced those 6 windows with Marvins. Really happy with the windows, but not so much the install job. I have to go back and re-trim everything inside the house. Cost including install was about $11K.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Windows are expensive but if you go cheap you get what you have now. I would call Thompson Creek windows, they're out of PG county and they manufacture their windows in their facility in PG. By going with a local contractor you usually have to use their choice of windows and work around their schedule. We replaced some of our windows several years ago and it was 30k for our Marvins. Part of that pricing was for custom windows AND doors.

wittykitty

Are the windows aluminum, vinyl or wood? Life expectancy varies by material (15 to 20 for aluminum, 20 to 40 for vinyl, and 30+ for wood dependent on care). Another factor for not closing or opening properly is house settling which can skew the alignment. Also if wood windows the glazing is typically only good for about 10 years, again dependent on care, cleaning, weather and the installation of storm windows.
They’re metal frame, so I guess maybe aluminum.

wittykitty

To redo the putty, you want to use a putty specifically for windows - like linseed oil putty. Linseed oil has a natural resistance to water so it's perfect for this type of project. Weather stripping can be found at walmart, and usually has an adhesive backing that you peel off and press down into the gap. It comes in varying thicknesses and widths. As far as the difficulty opening / closing, it sounds like moisture has gotten into the frame or sash (or both) and caused them to swell over time. As far as I know there is no fix for this other then replacing the entire affected area.
I’m very seriously considering doing all I can to restore them. Thank you. I hope to do this effectively and save myself a bunch of money.