Windows 8

Lamini

Rule #1 before making any major system changes: make and test your backups.

A 30gb recovery takes <15minutes on a pair of raid0'd SSDs from a local 7200rpm drive.

No hair pulling, no support calls, no researching... no thinking. True bliss. Maytag man is jealous.

I've put W8 on a number of desktops/laptops, 1 Touchscreen PC, and a tablet. It really shines on touch computers, once you get used to the GUI. If youre a true poweruser then you'd probably installed it, and removed it, or probably have it on a running on a VM to see just how many apps/devices you have no longer work. I've had rather good luck with it, it supports more devices right out of the box, as W7 did; a great plus (out of many) for home users (assuming they meet recommended specs, which is not that high). I dont hate/like it, its just another operating system. W7/XP/2003/2008 still still on most of my boxes (fiddling w/ 2012..).

E

EmptyTimCup

Oh that's a good idea!

It does boot into windows, and everything looks fine. But half of the system32 files are missing or corrupt. I am not sure there is any hope.

I am hoping that 8 is a download, because if it isn't I am not sure I will be able to install on the broken computer because it has a CD drive but no DVD drive. And I can't add a new drive because that is missing.

you will need to do a 'Clean Install'

do not 'upgrade' an already broken computer

merc669

I use Acronis Backup. So my Win7 machines have a image on backup drives. If I upgrade to Win8 and want to restore some of my apps from the backup will they work again from the backup? Like for example Office 10. I know some of the files are scattered in the Windows directory, not just the Office Folder. Thanks!!

ylexot

Super Genius
FYI, I found a solution to my activation problem without having to downgrade:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...accepted/775c95f0-404a-4c5c-9371-fd2b01019dbe

I'm thinking that Windows 8 is a bit schizophrenic. For example, I install Chrome. I open it from the desktop, it installs all my extensions and all my other personalization. Later, I open it from the "Start" menu and it then installs all my extensions and other personalization. So, it is two different applications depending on if you launch it from the desktop or the Start menu.