Winter is Just Around the Corner!!

SamSpade

I have a plow attachment that I took off my tractor, I wasn't happy with it and got a snow blower. What size are your rear tires on your tractor?, you can have my old chains if they will work for you.
(shrug) It arrives today. Along with the attachment. Frankly, with the meager intermittent snow we DO get - I'm thinking an electric snowblower might be the most cost efficient, trouble-free solution. But I'll wait and see.

Grumpy

With the wet snow we get around here, I'd think a blade would be better than a blower. Just my 2 cents.
Good point, a blade probably does well with anything less than 4-5 inches. My main concern was the big snows we get every now and then.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I just use the mower deck to blow the snow and then rinse the under-deck before parking it to drip dry.

Hijinx

If we don't get any more snow than we got last year mother nature removes it in a day or so.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Same here.....it takes a bit more snow than we ever get to slow my ole Bronco down...
I used to say the same when I had a beat '64 wagoneer. I'd try and find deeper and deeper snow just to see what it took to get it stuck.

Haven't had that same chance to test the GMC.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I used to say the same when I had a beat '64 wagoneer. I'd try and find deeper and deeper snow just to see what it took to get it stuck.

Haven't had that same chance to test the GMC.
Worst one I can remember when I had to go out it was back in 2002 or 2003. I don’t think we’ve had the same amount of accumulation since then except maybe the one they tried calling Snowmageddon. Might’ve been nine or 10 inches on the road in places.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Worst one I can remember when I had to go out it was back in 2002 or 2003. I don’t think we’ve had the same amount of accumulation since then except maybe the one they tried calling Snowmageddon. Might’ve been nine or 10 inches on the road in places.
This was back in the '70s. A bunch of us were up in Vermont skiing, and knew a storm was coming, so we hightailed it back to Long Island, but got caught it it anyway. Cars stuck left and right all the way down the LIE (Rt 495) but I was able to drive right past them. Got home, dropped everyone off, hooked up the plow and went out plowing the rest of the night. Got around 24-25". Only got stuck when my battery-powered plow blade drained the battery and I couldn't raise the plow, and it killed my ignition. Alternator just couldn't keep up.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
This was back in the '70s. A bunch of us were up in Vermont skiing, and knew a storm was coming, so we hightailed it back to Long Island, but got caught it it anyway. Cars stuck left and right all the way down the LIE (Rt 495) but I was able to drive right past them. Got home, dropped everyone off, hooked up the plow and went out plowing the rest of the night. Got around 24-25". Only got stuck when my battery-powered plow blade drained the battery and I couldn't raise the plow, and it killed my ignition. Alternator just couldn't keep up.
And one in the 70s I remember was 79. Got around 30 inches of snow here and more uptown from what I remember. I was in high school my last year.

Didn’t drive in it, but saddled up a horse and ventured out into the snow. Didn’t take him too far into it and returned home.

If we got another one like that, I wouldn’t be taking my truck out in that either. Not without tracks or a lift kit and 40 inch tires.

Bonehead

And one in the 70s I remember was 79. Got around 30 inches of snow here and more uptown from what I remember. I was in high school my last year.

Didn’t drive in it, but saddled up a horse and ventured out into the snow. Didn’t take him too far into it and returned home.

If we got another one like that, I wouldn’t be taking my truck out in that either. Not without tracks or a lift kit and 40 inch tires.
Yeah I remember that one I had to go out a window to clear the front steps and dig out my truck. We lived in the rectory for the methodist church on St Georges Island at the time.

Hijinx

I put elevator weights and some kitty litter in the back of the truck and put chains on the wheels and can go anywhere within reason.

If snow gets deep enough to where it builds under the car and takes the wheels off the ground you aint going anywhere.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
If snow gets deep enough to where it builds under the car and takes the wheels off the ground you aint going anywhere.
Don't ask my how I know. I'll tell you anyway. I had an under powered rear wheel single traction 1969 Opel Kadett with bald tires and a 1/2 burned out clutch for my first real snow as a driver. Dad gave me $5 for gas and said pick up a couple strong friends and learn your limits. There's only been 2 where I had to get outside assistance to get free. It's always the tires. :banghead:

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I loved when there was just a few inches, just enough to keep everyone else off the roads. That's when I would test the limits of the car and my abilities. I loved going fast in reverse and then doing a 180 ... just like in the movies!! :lol:

Almost blew it today. Realized the fuel in my big genny had been in there for almost 2 years. It was fine, stabilized, smelled fine, still started on the 1st pull, but figured it was time to change it out. Started draining the fuel, and the shutoff valve started leaking badly. Couldn't fix it. New one online was $85. :yikes: Took a chance and drove up to Milt's. After they looked it up and quoted me $75 :yikes::yikes: , they got creative and matched it to an identical valve for $17. If I couldn't have gotten the valve, I would have been generator-less!!! And the winter storm would have surely hit tonight! Crisis averted.... Your Welcome.

Hijinx

I loved when there was just a few inches, just enough to keep everyone else off the roads. That's when I would test the limits of the car and my abilities. I loved going fast in reverse and then doing a 180 ... just like in the movies!! :lol:

Almost blew it today. Realized the fuel in my big genny had been in there for almost 2 years. It was fine, stabilized, smelled fine, still started on the 1st pull, but figured it was time to change it out. Started draining the fuel, and the shutoff valve started leaking badly. Couldn't fix it. New one online was $85. :yikes: Took a chance and drove up to Milt's. After they looked it up and quoted me $75 :yikes::yikes: , they got creative and matched it to an identical valve for $17. If I couldn't have gotten the valve, I would have been generator-less!!! And the winter storm would have surely hit tonight! Crisis averted.... Your Welcome.
I can't say enough good things about the people at Milt's.