Wizards Deal 1st Round + Others to Timberwolves

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet
This kind of makes sense to me. Wizards traded their #1 pick for two players that could produce given some time. Mike Miller is a proven perimiter shooter, and I think Randy Foye is someone to build on. I like the fact that the Wizards are building for the future. Just hope things pan out

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- The Minnesota Timberwolves are set to have one busy draft day.

A trade that brings the Timberwolves the No. 5 overall pick in Thursday's draft has been completed.

The Timberwolves and Washington on Wednesday struck a deal that gives Minnesota its fourth first-round draft choice, along with Wizards forwards Etan Thomas, Darius Songaila and Oleksiy Pecherov.

The Wizards receive guards Randy Foye and Mike Miller.

The teams first agreed to the deal on Tuesday night. Minnesota now has the fifth, sixth, 18th and 28th selections in the draft, giving them the resources to potentially trade up even higher and go after either Spanish guard Ricky Rubio or Connecticut center Hasheem Thabeet.

New Minnesota Timberwolves president David Kahn declined comment through a team spokesman on Tuesday night, perhaps because he may not be finished trading.

Full article: NBA.com: Wizards send No. 5 pick to Wolves for Foye, Miller

chess

low 5... hi 5......
i like it

we dump thomas, and Pesh and songalia... and thats alot of salary... they are going to make a push at gettin Chris Bosh from Toronto next year and have a legit #4 big man....

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The best thing the Wiz could do is get rid of Arenas. If you're superstar is a guard, you're first/second round playoff material. At best.

chess

low 5... hi 5......
The best thing the Wiz could do is get rid of Arenas. If you're superstar is a guard, you're first/second round playoff material. At best.

i somewhat agree......

i still have said for years and years and years... the Wiz need a good BIG MAN....

Larry Gude

Strung Out
i somewhat agree......

i still have said for years and years and years... the Wiz need a good BIG MAN....

Well, that's always nice. However, the NBA has become a 2/3 league; the Jordan/Anthony/Kobe/James types. The Shaq's and Howards are just too few and far between for that to be THE plan. :buddies:

Arenas is the AI mold and they COULD go to the finals with him. It's just awful tough because that kind of guy can be dealt with in a series, especially these days when everyone has long, slasher types that can funnel and defend those guys.

G1G4

I agree, however, we were not getting any big men in the draft. It's mostly a shooters draft. Next year, though, we NEED to either draft a big man with potential or get a proven one in free agency.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I agree, however, we were not getting any big men in the draft. It's mostly a shooters draft. Next year, though, we NEED to either draft a big man with potential or get a proven one in free agency.

Well, certainly it's tough to build a team in the NBA when so much matters with so few players. I think if they called fouls close to properly, team depth would matter more and, like college, the game would be better.

In any event, I'd trade Gil. :buddies:

chess

low 5... hi 5......
I would rather package jamison and a draft pick for a big man... i think bosh is legit.. .he plays defense and he rebounds and scores obviously

Butler is our MVP if you ask me.... getting foye he will be a nice combo guard...

like i said unloading GIL... the wiz shouldnt have signed him to that crazy contract...

you are right about lebron/kobe/howard

hell even roy up in portland, or durant over in oklahoma city........

I think butler fits that decent build, but then again who on the wiz can guard James or Kobe... answer is no one....

i am not surprised they swapped out there 5th pick... unload the garbage we collected before EG got here and move positive moves for the future which i believe are happening

Beta84

They're out to get us

Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, and Dwyane Wade (Shaq was #2!) would all beg to differ!! I'm sure there are others. Yes, a big man is important, but you can survive without a big man as long as you've got decent inside defense.

I think this was a good trade. I've been hearing it's a relatively weak draft so the pick isn't as good as it may be in other years. Miller and Foye are good pickups. Arenas, Butler, and Jamison are all solid players. Foye gives you guys a shooting guard, so really the "weakest link" is Haywood in the middle. Miller gives you a 3 point shooter that could help in some key situations when you need to spread the floor or when you're playing catchup.

As long as the Wizards stay healthy and the bench isn't TOO bad, they've put themselves in the middle of the playoff race. The Miami Heat had a very similar team last season and were the 5 seed. Arenas, Foye, and Butler are all relatively young...so you've got time to build around them.

I don't see them being able to afford Arenas, Butler, and another top tier guy like Bosh. It's not gonna happen.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, and Dwyane Wade (Shaq was #2!) would all beg to differ!! I'm sure there are others. Yes, a big man is important, but you can survive without a big man as long as you've got decent inside defense.

I think this was a good trade. I've been hearing it's a relatively weak draft so the pick isn't as good as it may be in other years. Miller and Foye are good pickups. Arenas, Butler, and Jamison are all solid players. Foye gives you guys a shooting guard, so really the "weakest link" is Haywood in the middle. Miller gives you a 3 point shooter that could help in some key situations when you need to spread the floor or when you're playing catchup.

As long as the Wizards stay healthy and the bench isn't TOO bad, they've put themselves in the middle of the playoff race. The Miami Heat had a very similar team last season and were the 5 seed. Arenas, Foye, and Butler are all relatively young...so you've got time to build around them.

I don't see them being able to afford Arenas, Butler, and another top tier guy like Bosh. It's not gonna happen.

Maybe so. However, I think Wade brings more to a team than Gil, by a good bit including D and making his teammates better.

Orlando may be the new model; they proved with good D, long guys and good perimeter shooting, you can go most of the way. Hell, Howard hardly showed up through several games in the last two series and they did well.

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
I just hope the Wizards end up with Mamadi Diane. I think his name is a hoot. :lol: Plus he's a local boy.

Beta84

They're out to get us
Maybe so. However, I think Wade brings more to a team than Gil, by a good bit including D and making his teammates better.

Orlando may be the new model; they proved with good D, long guys and good perimeter shooting, you can go most of the way. Hell, Howard hardly showed up through several games in the last two series and they did well.
Yeah I agree, Wade brings more to the table and you guys would be better off without Arenas. Unfortunately, you've got what...5-6 years left on his contract? You're stuck with him. Nobody will want that.

I just hope the Wizards end up with Mamadi Diane. I think his name is a hoot. :lol: Plus he's a local boy.
And this is why women should leave sports to MEN! :biggrin:

chess

low 5... hi 5......
arneas is as good as any shooting guard in the league when he is healthy we all know that....

like i have said about the wiz and still will.. until they get a big man that can dominate

durant/garnett/bosh/amare/yao/dirk/

my point is if they could turn mgcee highly doubtful into a big man like that then more power to them...they lack a big man and having a big man will make you go far with good D...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
arneas is as good as any shooting guard in the league when he is healthy we all know that.... .

Couldn't agree me. He is awesome. However, I don't think he makes those around him better. That's my only objection to him. That and he seems to be a bit immature in the leadership category which may be the same thing.

G1G4

His play can't be argued, but we really haven't seen him at full strength with any true superstars. He's surrounded with guys that are good, but not great. If Agent Zero is healthy, someone else isn't. With Flip Saunders now the coach, it might be interesting to see what will happen. He's a change of pace from Eddie Jordan.

Beta84

They're out to get us
His play can't be argued, but we really haven't seen him at full strength with any true superstars. He's surrounded with guys that are good, but not great. If Agent Zero is healthy, someone else isn't. With Flip Saunders now the coach, it might be interesting to see what will happen. He's a change of pace from Eddie Jordan.

Butler is a pretty good #2 guy. Foye is good too. If he doesn't take them to the playoffs this year, he'll be a huge waste of money.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Weren't they all healthy a couple of years ago when they beat Chicago and pushed the Cavs pretty hard and only the refs bailed out James?

Beta84

They're out to get us
Weren't they all healthy a couple of years ago when they beat Chicago and pushed the Cavs pretty hard and only the refs bailed out James?

my memory might be falsifying things, but didn't Jamison get hurt during the playoffs or miss a couple games for some reason?