Woo-hoo!

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by Fenrir51
Does everyone here use xp? IMO its a big piece of crap with too many features that are pointless.

I love it...
except for the registration requirements

K

Kizzy

I love it...except for the registration requirements

How would MS know if you are running a copy of XP say on 2 diferent computers? I have taken many 2K professional classes, but XP is a different ball game. I take it MS only allows you to register 1 copy with a valid license #, so you cannot run it on a second computer? Is this correct?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by IM4Change
Is this correct?
That's got to be it. You register or validate it the first time you log on your computer. I think if you call them, they'll let you register it again on like a laptop or something.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Yeah it's RAM hungry....

I've had Windows XP Home Edition for a year now, running 512mgs of RAM, 1.4gig processor, and it's fast. But my RAM count does goe down to about 275 now and then.
Got a program call FreeRamPro, that monitors it and will retrieve more RAM when the machine needs it.

K

Kizzy

I HATE XP. I REALLY HATE IT. AND, I REALLY HATE HP. I AM SO MAD RIGHT NOW! :burning:

Brand new system just bought in December and I fricken crashed XP. I am just now up and running 2K Professional.

I will be installing software for a week. It went to boot and it said no operating system detected so I went to look for the recovery disk and that is when I realized, I didn't get one with my new PC. If I want one, I have to order it. :rolleyes: Stupid, stupid stupid!

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by IM4Change
I am just now up and running 2K Professional.
I'm still using that one. Never had any problems with it.

K

Kizzy

Me either. I have had more lock ups with XP then ever before. It runs just like Windows 98 in my opinion, and Windows 98 was junk. I am just getting all my drivers in. Now I have sound. It is good to hear sound, because finding the driver was a pain in the arse. I am much better than I was a few hours ago. I wanted to take XP off just a few weeks after getting the new computer, but now, I had a reason.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
I guess you figured out.....

:biggrin: ....where your back-ups were hey Kim? All you have to do to access your recovery files is hit F-10 a few times as the system first boots up, and the blue and white HP screen is up on the monitor.

From there you go into the "Safe Mode" where you can do a "System Recovery", and don't have to send away for the recovery discs. I had to do it about three weeks ago, after removing some old programs, but got carried away when it asked me :"Are you sure you want to....." OOPS!

I had to re-install my ISP service and anti-virus programs, and clean up my desktop from old icons I don't use anymore, but other than that it wasn't too hard; just time consuming.

But other than that, XP hasn't given me many problems.

K

Kizzy

Penn,

Tried that, and it didn't work. That is ok, I am up and running now. A bit tired considering I was up till about 2 this morning, but other than that, I am much happier. :biggrin: I'll stick with 2K professional.

K

Kizzy

BTW, thanks vrail for your inpute. I was pretty sure, but wasn't 100% positive on the validation code. I have 2 compters in the house and my children use the one in the back basically for gaming and getting on the Internet. I had a local printer back there but they use the printer so rarely that the ink was drying up all the time. I just wanted to be able to share the print device in the front room with them and move the printer from the back to the front, so that I will use it from time to time to prevent the ink from drying. Of couse we are sharing broadband. I have it up and running now! I did clean installs on both computers. Time consuming, but now, both computers are running very well.

:thewave:

I did purchase an Academic version of XP Professional, but I am not going to install it because I am not sure if I will screw up my sharing having 2 different OS on the 2 computers? Anyone know that answer? It would be one computer running 2K Professional and the other running XP Professional. I am using a print server for one printer and connecting directly to the other computer on the other printer.