Wood Pellets & Pricing

Vince

Just an update since we've burned a few types of pellets this year. The pellets we bought from TSC (clear bag, same as Statesman but doesn't say Statesman on it) are AWFUL. Don't waste your money on them. They say low ash, but after burning just one bag of them there's as much ash in the stove as there is after 5 bags of Lignetics. They totally clogged up the stove and caused issues.

Power Pellets are ok, they seemed to burn fine but we only burned a couple of bags.

Lignetics- we're sticking with them from now on. They burn longer and cleaner than any of the other brands. :yay:
:yeahthat: Been burning Lignetics and Hammer this year, and I think I like Lignetics better. Less ash and less dust when you get to the bottom of the bag.

OldHillcrestGuy

My Country Boy pellets Im burning this year have no dust in the bottom of the bag. My stove is a Breckwell and in past years I had a real problem with Pennington's, but the past 2 years with Country Boys no problems.

My Country Boy pellets Im burning this year have no dust in the bottom of the bag. My stove is a Breckwell and in past years I had a real problem with Pennington's, but the past 2 years with Country Boys no problems.

I filed a complaint with Pennington a few years back, the pellets were horrible. Got my entire purchase price back.

OldHillcrestGuy

I filed a complaint with Pennington a few years back, the pellets were horrible. Got my entire purchase price back.

Well a few years back on another tread, we all talked about our pellets and I remember we all had alot of complaints with the Penningtons, and a rep from the company somehow got wind of our problems and posted, think she posted her name and contact info and I contacted her, got nice letter back explaining they had problems with one of their pellet plants, but I never followed through with it, she wanted me to send some of the pellets back to her and also cut off the bag a impression that was pressed into the bag, showed them where they were made at which plant. I had 2 tons of them I wish I had followed through. I eventually got through those bags, but never again will I buy them.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
My MIL is thinking of getting a pellet stove. Are the pellets hard to find locally (St. Mary's)?

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
I doubt she'll use it alot. She's the type that says the heat/ac is on but it's cold/hot in the house. In the winter I never go over there without an extra layer. How big are the bags?

DeeCee

A horse of course!
We have a New Englander stove and used a few bags of the pellets from TSC, and i agree they were AWFUL. Not only did they create a ton of ash, but each pellet is huge and very textured which caused an issue with their ability to slide into the hopper, so the stove would cut off about every 4 hours or so, because the hopper went empty. That was very frustrating (BRR) on that end of the house thank GAWD for the Fischer woodstove on the other end! Glad we only bought a few bags to get us through until it stopped raining and we could put the ton into the back of the pickup!

Has anyone ever burned dried corn? I hear some do. Wonder if the stove would need to be modified to do it?

Last edited:
Thanks. About how long does a 50lb bag last? Does it depend on how long you run the pellet stove? What about cleaning it? How's the maintenance?

Most of this has been discussed at length in the Home forum in multiple threads. Do a search there and just about every question you have will be answered.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Has anyone ever burned dried corn? I hear some do. Wonder if the stove would need to be modified to do it?

Just google your stove or check the owner's manual. I have a Quadra-Fire pellet stove that can burn corn, pellets (obviously) or sunflower seeds. To burn corn I'd need to do a mix, or I can run straight corn, if I use a handful of pellets to get the stove fired up. A buddy of mine ran a 75% corn 25% pellet mix in his stove when he lived in Balmer and he loved it, a half ton of pellets and several bags of corn would get him through the whole winter.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
GW and/or OHG where do you get your Country Boys from? I've been burning the stuff from Southern States with some left over Lignetics this year and haven't had any real issues. I ran my stove empty last night and cleaned out the hopper and the auger due to dust build up. I've gone through a ton so far and I'll need another load by next week and I wanted to try some CB's and Hamer's just to really compare ash and dust build up.

GW and/or OHG where do you get your Country Boys from? I've been burning the stuff from Southern States with some left over Lignetics this year and haven't had any real issues. I ran my stove empty last night and cleaned out the hopper and the auger due to dust build up. I've gone through a ton so far and I'll need another load by next week and I wanted to try some CB's and Hamer's just to really compare ash and dust build up.

I only use Lignetics now. It burns the most uniformly with the lowest coke buildup and least amount of bag dust. I got my last 3 tons from McKays, delivery was only $30 for 3 pallets.

Hamer worked ok, but it coked up faster, had to clean the pot far more frequently.

Seminar 12/9 for wood pellet stoves

Here is the link - NOTE the grant info
Learning How to Heat With Wood & Pellets ... Save Money & Be Warm! | University of Maryland Extension

When: Monday, Dec. 9, 2013 - 7:00pm to 9:00pm
Where: University of Maryland Extension Calvert County Conference Room
Address: 30 Duke St Prince Frederick, MD 20678
Event Type: Class/Workshop
Presenter: Jonathan Kays, University of Maryland Extension
Description/Notes:

Are you someone who heats with oil, propane, or a heat pump, but needs to know more before heating with wood or pellets? Is the high price of oil or the cold air from your heat pump getting you down? Perhaps you are interested in an inside stove or an outdoor wood boiler. Advances made in wood burning technology have dramatically improved efficiency and reduced emissions of residential stoves. This isn’t Grandpa’s smoky old wood stove! Firewood is one of the most economical forms of renewable energy available today and the use of wood pellets is increasing because they are readily available and pellet stoves are easily installed without the need of an expensive chimney.

Better yet, the Maryland Energy Administration has a wood grant program that will pay $500 toward the cost of a clean-burning wood stove and $700 toward pellet stove. This workshop will provide you the resources to help the beginner or the experienced wood user.

Below are some of the topics to be covered, but bring your questions and they will be answered!

Advances in wood energy technology
How to buy and install a new wood stove or boiler
Buying and storing firewood and pellet
How to properly season (dry) firewood
Increasing the efficiency of wood burning units
Wood stove audit checklist
Improvements in wood boiler technology with EPA Phase 2 boilers.
Best practices to maximize the efficiency of outdoor wood boilers - sizing, underground waterline insulation, & firewood moisture.

Registration: Cost $5 per person to cover cost of materials. Make checks payable to the University of Maryland and mail to: UM Extension, Box 486, Prince Frederick, MD 20678. Please register by December 5, 2013.
Cost: $5 per person

Contact Phone:
410-535-3662
- See more at: Learning How to Heat With Wood & Pellets ... Save Money & Be Warm! | University of Maryland Extension