Worst browser

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
it started to become a memory hog
Like this? I routinely have Brave punch thru 2GB. 2 Windows and maybe an average of 25 tabs open in just Brave.

if I leave Firefox open it essentially kills the machine
That might have been the problem I was having, it's been a while and I don't remember. It's pretty well behaved these days, at least compared to the chromium-based browsers.

TCROW

Reason Firefox is my distant second choice. I have a very "powerful" laptop and if I leave Firefox open it essentially kills the machine.

Does have a number of great add-ons (which is why I keep it around).

--- End of line (MCP)

Firefox is getting better. They went the direction that Crome did with each tab having its own protected address space. Only thing is that’s hard to do when migrating from a monolith and you’re trying to keep things stable over your development lifecycle.

Chrome was built that way from the ground up and was an easier task. There was a time when Chrome was the lean and mean browser machine. But they’ve introduced some bloat somewhere along the way and it’s a dog nowadays.

Like this? I routinely have Brave punch thru 2GB. 2 Windows and maybe an average of 25 tabs open in just Brave.
:lol: I have 4 Gb total memory (maxed out) , Win8.1. One window open for Thunderbird and 2 open for Firefox. After watching a YouTube, I can hit 100% utilization on memory and it starts swapping like crazy, and pushes disk to 100%.

Yeah, I need a new laptop but I like this one....

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
If you're running WIN10, be sure to get ShutUp10.
Done. T/Y!

Thought I had most of the privacy things taken care of. After running SU10 it was quite clear I wasn't even close.

Again, thanks! 👍

--- End of line (MCP)

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
Thought I had most of the privacy things taken care of
Well, be sure to run it after every significant Microsoft update. Those sneaky bastards like to go back in and turn things on again. It seems to never fail that they re-enable Telemetry #3, among others.

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
and you haven't slit your wrists yet? I took one look at that and never went near it again. 🍋

I have 4 Gb total memory

That would explain it. I had to bump up to 16 GB before things stabilized. I still push the limit at times, all due to browsers. Probably all of the sneaky little javascript running on the pages. I can watch the memory usage go up even if I haven't touched anything in an hour.

:lol: I have 4 Gb total memory (maxed out) , Win8.1. One window open for Thunderbird and 2 open for Firefox. After watching a YouTube, I can hit 100% utilization on memory and it starts swapping like crazy, and pushes disk to 100%.

Yeah, I need a new laptop but I like this one....
Well....... got a new laptop the hard way. Dropped mine last night. It worked for a minute or so, then everything started hanging up. Hard drive was trashed. Spent most of last night trying to recover stuff until it finally died hard.

So got another Lenovo. Dumb thing is..... unless you spend a fortune on a laptop, they come pre-configured and not upgradeable. I got a cheapo to tide me over, only has 4Gb memory.

Getting a crash course on Win 10. Boy, does Micro$oft try hard to control everything, like with the "S" license. First thing I did was turn that off so I could load Firefox.