Would you call 911?

calvcopf

So there was a possibly homeless guy who was either drunk or high. He was passing through a gas station parking lot area. I was watching him take a few steps, stop close his eyes for a few seconds, take a few more steps, stop and close his eyes and repeat.

Should I have called 911 or did I make the right decision to just let him be?

sm8

I may have called the non emergency number and asked about a "welfare check" if there were a possibility of him hurting himself. Being a gas station I would assume it was near a road and I would probably be worried he would walk out into the roadway.

For St. Mary's county the number is 301-475-8008, Not sure what it is for Charles, or Calvert county.

mamatutu

mama to two
So there was a possibly homeless guy who was either drunk or high. He was passing through a gas station parking lot area. I was watching him take a few steps, stop close his eyes for a few seconds, take a few more steps, stop and close his eyes and repeat.

I think that many of us are becoming more aware of what can be wrong. I think we were all that way to begin with, but with the current state of the world, we are now more vigilant, aware, and see things we may never have paid attention to before. Something that would have been nothing has now turned into maybe it is something. We cannot save the world even though we want to. I don't think you should question yourself on your decision not to act. In the same turn, we have to watch out for ourselves. You never know what can happen if you involve yourself with a stranger. I am sure if you thought it was life threatening you would have done something. Every situation is a judgment call. Don't beat yourself up.

TPD

the poor dad

Nope I would not have called. The guy would figure things out when he sobers up. Besides, there are more important things for cops to worry about....like making videos....

glhs837

Power with Control
Yep, I have St Marys Dispatch on my phone for stuff like that. Not really an emergency, but still something to call in, I think.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Yep, I have St Marys Dispatch on my phone for stuff like that. Not really an emergency, but still something to call in, I think.
BTW, I was told that 911 and the dispatch number are handled by the same people. But yes, his next step / stumble could have been into the roadway

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You probably should have called 911, but I'd have most likely let him be as well. It's not my business to rescue people from themselves.

itsrequired

Nope I would not have called. The guy would figure things out when he sobers up. Besides, there are more important things for cops to worry about....like making videos....

I vote this comment as the funniest all week! Very clever!!!

I always remember the non-emergency dispatch number for St. Mary's because I think of it as 301-475-BOOB and know the Bs are really 8s. I have called it a time or two to report suspicious cases that were not immediate emergencies and they always checked it out.

In this case I would of probably called BOOB not only for his safety but for those that could end up hitting him with their vehicle and having threads started about how awful they are.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I had this exact same thing happen some years ago. That's the Heroin 2 Step. I did call 911.

MMM_donuts

I always remember the non-emergency dispatch number for St. Mary's because I think of it as 301-475-BOOB and know the Bs are really 8s. I have called it a time or two to report suspicious cases that were not immediate emergencies and they always checked it out.

In this case I would of probably called BOOB not only for his safety but for those that could end up hitting him with their vehicle and having threads started about how awful they are.

Boob....that's awesome :lmao:

I may have called the non emergency number and asked about a "welfare check" if there were a possibility of him hurting himself. Being a gas station I would assume it was near a road and I would probably be worried he would walk out into the roadway.

For St. Mary's county the number is 301-475-8008, Not sure what it is for Charles, or Calvert county.

I would agree with these these statements or maybe talk to the gas station attendant. Not that your obligated to or anything but just because I think it would be a nice and appropriate thing to do for him, yourself, and others that may eventually encounter that situation.

gary_webb

Damned glad to meet you
Awesome would be if he was driving a riding lawn mower with a "I know my rights" bumper sticker.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Cops make a video..."everyone lighten up."

Man walking and not bothering anyone...."call 911!"

Seriously? You don't think a person walking around, so strung out that they aren't even in this universe, doesn't deserve help? If nothing else, at least to get them off the street so they don't fall in front of a car?

Catman2

If he was in PF, just buy him a Starbucks, like the dozens of other gullibles. BTW, the video, even without the cop contro....sucks beyond all suckery.

mdff21

In your "expert" opinion, he was either drunk or high. Maybe he was having some type of medical emergency!! Diabetics have the same indicators as being high or drunk. There was a MVC in front of the Walmart on Rt 4 awhile back. The cops were telling the first responders to stay back that he was on PCP and were going to taz the guy. His son was with him and told the first responders that his father was diabetic, they checked and his blood sugar level was around 20. There would not have been anything wrong with calling to have someone check on him. Calvert 410-535-1404 or 410-535-3491

Did you used to type out 55378008 on your calculator and turn it up-side-down to read? I did :getdown: