Would you feel safer...

A few shepherds scattered among the flock?

• Of course

Votes: 34 82.9%
  • No! They might shoot someone!

Votes: 7 17.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vince

Nucklesack said:
If Forestard was really interested in the information he'd google Crime Statistics in each of those countries

but he wont
If he would have bothered to look, he would have found out that since instituting their gun control measures in 1999, Englands gun incidents have increased.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Let's join...

This_person said:
We've definately found something we TOTALLY agree on!

...hands!

Kum ba yah, my Lord, kum ba yah!
O Lord, kum ba yah!

:lmao:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Adolph...

forestal said:
Gee, how many mass fire arms killings have we had in Britain, France, Japan?

I wonder if they have the right idea about making gun ownership difficult.

Yes, I think they do.

The Safest Societies have limited access to firearms

...and Uncle Joe could NOT agree with you more. Why, you used to be able to walk Red Square at midnight with nary a worry. Berlin in 1939 was a delight and you could leave your house unlocked...unless you lived in the wrong part of town. Warsaw was like that. They fixed it though, for a time.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Ken King said:
If you want that type of "controlled society" it's simple, move your ass there. I prefer a little freedom and liberty.
I feel safer knowing Ken King is armed.

MMDad

Lem Putt
forestal said:

Yes, I think they do.

It happens in France, Britain and Japan:

Eight die in Paris gun attack
NANTERRE, France --Authorities are trying to discover why a lone gunman opened fire at a town hall in western Paris, methodically killing eight people and injuring 19.

When he was finally restrained the gunman, named by police as Richard Durn, 33, cried out: "Kill me, kill me!"

A shocked Prime Minister Lionel Jospin called the shooting rampage "a case of furious dementia," and one presidential candidate called it an "American-style by-product."

Durn, 33, is a local man who witnesses said frequently attended council meetings at Nanterre.

The gunman used two automatic pistols and a revolver to calmly fire at 40 people.

CNN's European Political Editor Robin Oakley said one of the guns was a .357 magnum pistol. Some 50 bullets were scattered on the floor of the meeting room after the attack.

The suspect had no criminal record and had a permit for his guns, which he had bought in 1997 and used for recreational shooting, prosecutors said. His permit came from a gun association.

Durn, of Yugoslav origin, had no criminal record and had visited Kosovo on aid missions. Police were probing a link between the attack and the fact he was unemployed and homeless.

The shooting rampage seemed set to become an issue in France's upcoming presidential election where crime had already risen to top the election agenda. (Full story)

One rightist presidential candidate, Alain Madelin, said the event was "revealing" of the state of rising crime in France and compared it to past events in the United States.

"This American-style by-product, we wished not to have in France," he said.

Both leading presidential candidates visited the scene.

President Jacques Chirac, who met with grieving family members, called the events "a completely unimaginable drama."

Jospin praised city council members for their courage.

"Some members of the council were very brave, they tried to stop him but he kept shooting," the PM told reporters.

The attacker was eventually subdued by others in the room after one official threw a chair at him. That official was then seriously wounded when the suspect started firing again with his free hand. No police were present at the time of the shooting.

Nanterre mayor Jacqueline Fraysse said that when the suspect was finally taken down, he shouted out: "Kill me, kill me!"

Members of the city council were among those killed in the shooting, which happened at 1:15 a.m. (0115 GMT) on Wednesday.

A witness told France Info radio that the gunman started shooting at the end of the meeting as people were putting on their coats to leave.

"We were about to leave when suddenly a man got up and started shooting straight ahead," Nanterre Mayor Jacqueline Frayasse told The Associated Press. (More eyewitness accounts)

The attack did not appear politically motivated. Both leftist and rightist municipal officials were killed.

The assailant was identified as a member of an ecologist movement, the Associated Press reported.

"He was someody opposed to the directives of the city hall," Christian Demercaster, a municipal official from the Green Party who had greeted the man before the session told AP. He denied the suspect was a member of the Greens.

A spokeswoman for the Green Party, which forms part of Jospin's ruling coalition, said, "This crazy gunman is neither a member of the Green party nor a sympathiser."

A visiting contigent of New York City firemen are in the Paris area, and attended the scene with their French counterparts -- though only as observers.

Nanterre is a middle-class neighbourhood near a business district of western Paris.

The killing of two officers during an armed robbery in a Paris suburb in October sparked nationwide strikes by thousands of police officers, demanding more pay and better equipment.

Also in October, a masked gunman opened fire in the central French city of Tours, killing four people.

Gun control doesn't work in France, why do you think it would work here?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
forestal said:

Yes, I think they do.

Why don't you include Germany in that too.. and the answer would be SEVERAL... Google "School Shooting Erfurt Germany". England, Russia and Germany have some of the strictest gun laws known to man, but the criminals still find a way to get them and hold entire towns hostage.

Great Britain has had it's share of shool shootings.. try doing some research before you post, you won't look so stupid.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Pete said:
You are correct, in Japan they used Sarin, in Britain and France they use bombs.

Deranged homicidal maniacs are not deterred by gun laws, they will always find a way.
The mayor of Nagasaki was just shot severl times yesterday in an assassination attempt. The shooter was a member of organized crime, he somehow got the gun to shoot the mayor, even though they are illegal.

MMDad

Lem Putt
This_person said:
why do we care at all about other places, with other cultures, rules, ideologies, etc., when we speak of OUR laws?
Forestool tried to use other countries with strict gun laws as an example of how well those laws work. In order to refute his claim we show him that those laws do not work.

This_person

MMDad said:
Forestool tried to use other countries with strict gun laws as an example of how well those laws work. In order to refute his claim we show him that those laws do not work.
If it looked like I was disagreeing with Larry, I just picked the wrong post to reply to. It was actually a question to Forestal. Why should we compare, what's the point of his even using those examples? They speak other languages, too. Should we? We live in a democratic republic, shouldn't they?

PsyOps

Pixelated
forestal said:
An armed society is a nervous, paranoid society.

I thank GOD that public opinion is starting to turn on this free-for-all that we call the right to bear arms.
Free-for-all? The only free-for-all I see is stripping the guns away from those that obey the law and allowing those that don't be the only with guns. Then the real free-for-all is not having a judicial system that punishes these criminals properly. This is what you thank GOD for?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
And...

This_person said:
If it looked like I was disagreeing with Larry, I just picked the wrong post to reply to. It was actually a question to Forestal. Why should we compare, what's the point of his even using those examples? They speak other languages, too. Should we? We live in a democratic republic, shouldn't they?

...come on; they're French.

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member
I voted yes, but they have to do like in the movies and yell "Get Down!" before they start to fire away.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Huh...

Dutch6 said:

While some focused blame only on the gunman, world opinion over U.S. gun laws was almost unanimous: Access to weapons increases the probability of shootings. There was no sympathy for the view that more guns would have saved lives by enabling students to shoot the assailant.

...We'll have to make a note of that. They had a bit different view of our gun culture about 66 years ago.

Taking Europes view on violence is a bit like Don Imus offering tips on manners.

Dutch6

"Fluffy world destroyer"
Larry Gude said:
...We'll have to make a note of that. They had a bit different view of our gun culture about 66 years ago.

Taking Europes view on violence is a bit like Don Imus offering tips on manners.
I agree.