Wrong

:shrug: I don't see a problem with what he said. He's right. When S.S.I. started, there were 200-300 workers paying for the retirement of every retiree. Now there are 3. Soon to be 2. There will not be a S.S.I. by the time I retire.

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.
I agree with Huntr1. I haven't figured that there will be any SS left by the time I retire. The govrnment set up this Ponzi scheme 80 years ago and now we're stuck with it. I think we should phase it out. There are people that rely on it now and they should not be cut short, and there are others that are very near retirement that should not be screwed either.

Aside from that, though, I should be allowed to invest the money blown on social insecurity as I see fit. Let me put it in my 401K, or put it into CDs or IRAs or something. Or maybe split the difference and reduce my overall SSI deduction by just taking what is needed to support those outlined above and let me put the rest into something real solid with a low rate of return.

At least that would be better than dumping the money down the Government rat hole.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Originally posted by Dupontster
Is it just me, or is this just plain wrong.....Alan Greenspan needs to retire.....Read article: burning:

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20040226/D80UT9F80.html

If you are upset, you must be one of those Americans that the Democrats HAVE to take care of.. Democrats feel we as people aren't capable of succeeding, or taking care of ourselves without Government interference, or HELP.. You shouldn't be depending on SSI for anything, you should be providing for your OWN retirement... then you wouldn't care if they trashed the whole SSI program.. Since when has it become the governements JOB to take care of me in my old age?? I can see being upset about losing the money I put into it.. but I could care less about the benefits after I retire..

CMC122

Go Braves!
Originally posted by tlatchaw

Aside from that, though, I should be allowed to invest the money blown on social insecurity as I see fit. Let me put it in my 401K, or put it into CDs or IRAs or something. Or maybe split the difference and reduce my overall SSI deduction by just taking what is needed to support those outlined above and let me put the rest into something real solid with a low rate of return.

At least that would be better than dumping the money down the Government rat hole.
:yeahthat:

ceo_pte

Originally posted by tlatchaw
I agree with Huntr1. I haven't figured that there will be any SS left by the time I retire. The govrnment set up this Ponzi scheme 80 years ago and now we're stuck with it. I think we should phase it out. There are people that rely on it now and they should not be cut short, and there are others that are very near retirement that should not be screwed either.

I agree... Let the people keep their money and invest it themselves. We should stop depending on the Government for anything other than the military, postal service, and highway system.....

Pete

Repete
Re: Re: Wrong

Originally posted by itsbob
If you are upset, you must be one of those Americans that the Democrats HAVE to take care of.. Democrats feel we as people aren't capable of succeeding, or taking care of ourselves without Government interference, or HELP.. You shouldn't be depending on SSI for anything, you should be providing for your OWN retirement... then you wouldn't care if they trashed the whole SSI program.. Since when has it become the governements JOB to take care of me in my old age?? I can see being upset about losing the money I put into it.. but I could care less about the benefits after I retire..
Unfortunatly I agree that many people cannot plan well enough for retirement. Unexpected things like divorces leave many people broke late in life. Stock market fluctuations can cause the same. If you abolish SSI altogether you will be faced with a butt load of people basically starving on the street in old age and the gov will have to bail them out out of pocket.

ceo_pte

Re: Re: Re: Wrong

Originally posted by Pete
Unfortunatly I agree that many people cannot plan well enough for retirement. Unexpected things like divorces leave many people broke late in life. Stock market fluctuations can cause the same. If you abolish SSI altogether you will be faced with a butt load of people basically starving on the street in old age and the gov will have to bail them out out of pocket.

I agree that there are lots of things that could happen. I personally wouldn't bet my retirement on the stock market doing well. But I do think there are other ways of securing your retirement. There are alot of ways of securing income that continues to grow as you get older... This is my choice. I prefer income over investments...

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Okay. so if I agreed, why would someone that has sy $5000 a month in retirement income be eligible for SSI retirement??
Still have to stick to my guns.. it's not the governents job to take of me now.. and it shouldn't be 30 years form now.. I'm all growed up, I can take care of myself.. maybe there should be a safety net of some sort, but NOT an entitlement.

Divorces are a WHOLE nuther matter.. why one half of the couple has to end up in bankcrupty is beyond me, and I don't know about MD but I know most states get carried away with child support payment.. along the line of $3 - 500 per child a month.. doesn't matter if you have a job that pays that much or not..

L

libragirl

Re: Re: Wrong

Originally posted by itsbob
news flash but im working and getting ssi taken out of my check and i should be entitled to my ssi when i retire. its not relyin on the goverment its getting whats owed to me for working. thats my opinion and im stickin to it:dance: :dance:

TripleJ

fortunately, I do not have to pay SS, something to do with State retirement benefits, so, I'm glad that I'm not paying into a system that is doomed to fail. Greenspan has done a fine job, and his current statments are a fine example of "the truth hurts".

SurfaceTension

If you abolish SSI altogether you will be faced with a butt load of people basically starving on the street in old age and the gov will have to bail them out out of pocket.
Why the gov? Used to be the job of family, church, neighbors. And the criteria for help was much more subjective; those whom helped others in the past or were generally good received more help when they need it. Those that were aholes got what they deserved. Not a bad arrangement IMHO.