WUSA9: 21 Year-old Southern Marylander is a massive YouTube star; Grosses $1 Million/Yr?

Editor

somd.com Editor
Staff member
PREMO Member
Patron
Cameron Haller produces wildly popular videos in his old bedroom in his mom's house in La Plata.

He has blown up YouTube: 1.6 million subscribers on his CufBoys channel and a quarter of a billion views. He has big audiences on Instagram and Twitter too

One estimate online suggested he was making $1 million a year just in payments for views on YouTube but he said he is nowhere near that.

Maybe he grosses $1 million, he said, but not taking it all home.

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/...ve-it/65-30224b6b-fd06-4b69-9651-37d1592afd95

Nice job Cameron! Invest your money wisely!

Clem72

The estimate of how much he makes is based on views, but given the majority of his videos are "reaction" videos to popular music they get auto-demonitized by the RIAA. By the time he is able to file a fair use claim and get the demonetization reversed the bulk of the views, which come in the first hours and days, have already hit. So he loses most of the money (youtube generally does not reimburse for those views unless you are a major creator).

The system is very over-balanced in favor of big media, because YouTube is terrified that the labels will sue or block YouTube from licensing their content at all.

There are a few youtube channels that go into details about how this happens and why. They show how they get views, what they would have been paid if their video hadn't been falsely taken down, etc.

DEEKAYPEE8569

This is the kind of thing my Nephew hope to achieve; and he's convinced he will. IMO, "YouTubing" is not guaranteed to make you any money, let alone millions.

TPD

the poor dad
I have over 8000 subscribers to my channel and I average between 100 and $200 a month from YouTube in ad revenue. But as was previously mentioned, that is about half of what I was getting before YouTube made changes to their ad placements two years ago.

One of the things I don’t like about YouTube is that if there is as little as a five second clip of copyrighted music, I will get no revenue from the entire video. A 15 minute video with five seconds of copyrighted music and no revenue. Does all of that revenue go to the owner of the copyrighted music?

The AI detection is only about 90% accurate. I have had videos demonetized that have had absolutely no copyright material in them. By the time you file the claim and ask for a manual review, you missed the big part of your revenue. Luckily I do not rely on YouTube as my sole source of income. I mainly make the videos because I enjoy it and want to teach the public a little bit about agriculture.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I have over 8000 subscribers to my channel and I average between 100 and $200 a month from YouTube in ad revenue. But as was previously mentioned, that is about half of what I was getting before YouTube made changes to their ad placements two years ago.

I have over 8 subscribers. :p

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I have had videos demonetized that have had absolutely no copyright material in them.

some of my live streams get copy right strikes as soon as they go up because I wanders past an IN GAME Radio playing some song

Like Fallout 76 or The Division 2

.... then it takes 24 hours for the removal process to complete ...