X-Mas Wish List

Delilah903

Originally posted by yakky doodle
that's very sweet delilah that he buys them for you; but I have to ask -- what good are they in a safety deposit box? that's not too readily available if you want to wear them.

i don't wear jewelry except for my watch and occasionally a pair of earrings. I just can't stand a ton of stuff on my hands, around my neck, etc. (multiple earrings in each ear, a couple necklaces, bracelets, etc.). guess i'm more 'simplistic' in that one respect. but look at the bright side -- one nice ring and that's it -- don't need any more jewelry down the road :wink:

You are absolutely right yakky.....But I will never be Broke!!!:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by yakky doodle
(not trying to sound snotty here, REALLY!), but I have that stuff. I have worked really hard to have the things in life that I wanted to be comfortable (car, house, furniture, etc.) on my own before getting nutty again in a relationship. now I have the relationship, too, and despite it's temporary "pauses" it appears to be headed for the long haul.

I guess it all depends on your perspective. I too have all that I wanted and more - car, house, furniture, etc. - but I don't see the point of some humongus and expensive bauble that I'm afraid to wear. My point was that I would rather use the money to buy something I can enjoy everyday and others can share with me, than something that is nothing more than an accessory.

And before anyone jumps on me about a man needing to prove his love - that's just :bs: ! He can SHOW his love to me in a lot of ways - things like making breakfast on Sunday morning and clearing the snow off of my car. Things like THAT are much more important than some hunk of carbon and metal. But that's just my humble opinion. :ohwell:

We now return you to your regularly scheduled topic. :smile:

Last edited:

yakky doodle

Originally posted by Delilah903
You are absolutely right yakky.....But I will never be Broke!!!:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

You are right; it's wonderful having a bunch of money spent on jewelry that you never wear in a box somewhere that isn't readily accessible -- how is that showing any appreciation to the person who bought it for you.

I didn't say anyone was going broke here, so I don't know where you got that from. :rolleyes: Never did I say my b/f should buy me a huge ring. In fact, I clarified my personal preference in carat size a few posts back. I hardly consider that "breaking the bank" compared to some of the other things people spend money on (and subsequently go broke over -- drugs, homes, etc.).

Originally posted by jazz lady
I guess it all depends on your perspective. I too have all that I wanted and more - car, house, furniture, etc. - but I don't see the point of some humongus and expensive bauble that I'm afraid to wear. My point was that I would rather use the money to buy something I can enjoy everyday and others can share with me, than something that is nothing more than an accessory.

I agree that sharing the "joy" of things with your loved ones is important, and my b/f (most of the time -- men always have their moments!) is absolutely wonderful about showing his affection and love for me via non-monetary means.

I think a few of you are twisting my posts a bit here (I can read between lines). If I'm a materialistic beeatch for hoping for an engagement ring that does not require me to have a magnifying glass to see the stone, then I suppose I am a materialistic beeatch. But I never said I was trying to weigh my hand down with a "humongus and expensive bauble." :rolleyes:

Delilah903

And before anyone jumps on me about a man needing to prove his love - that's just :bs: ! My husband SHOWS his love to me in a lot of ways - things like making breakfast on Sunday morning and clearing the snow off of my car. Things like THAT are much more important than some hunk of carbon and metal. But that's just my humble opinion. :ohwell:

We now return you to your regularly scheduled topic. :smile:

Jazz...I agree that those things are more important that any diamond. My point is, if there are women out there who are head over heels in love with someone, then don't let the lack of a ring deter you from marrying the man. All the rest can and most likely will come later. It could be that the guys just don't have the money for a ring and are hesitant to "pop the question" because of the ladies expectations. Help me out here guys!!!! What do you think?

yakky doodle

Jazz...I agree that those things are more important that any diamond. My point is, if there are women out there who are head over heels in love with someone, then don't let the lack of a ring deter you from marrying the man.
I never said that I would say "NO" to my b/f if he proposed w/o a ring; however, he also knows that it is important to me to do things a little more traditionally "next time around." I want him to ask my father first (unlike my first husband). Some people want a fancy dress to wear for a wedding and the best cake, flowers, music, location, etc. I'd be perfectly happy marrying my b/f in a simple dress with only our closest friends and family present, my father giving me away, and a simple service and reception somewhere.

All the rest can and most likely will come later. It could be that the guys just don't have the money for a ring and are hesitant to "pop the question" because of the ladies expectations. Help me out here guys!!!! What do you think? [/B]

One word = S-A-V-E -- if she's worth it!

G

giggles04

:yay: @ Tonio. Am I the only female who would rather have something nice like a deck for the house or a great vacation than a huge hunk of rock on my finger? :confused:

Nope, you're not. I have told my boyfriend this. I would rather have a porch all around my house than a huge rock. I'm not big on jewelry... and if it was that fancy I'd be scared to wear it

G

giggles04

Jazz...I agree that those things are more important that any diamond. My point is, if there are women out there who are head over heels in love with someone, then don't let the lack of a ring deter you from marrying the man. All the rest can and most likely will come later. It could be that the guys just don't have the money for a ring and are hesitant to "pop the question" because of the ladies expectations. Help me out here guys!!!! What do you think?

I know my boyfriend loves me.. cause he shows it:smile: We have been together a long time, and people ask me as to why we're not engaged yet. I dont need a ring to show me that he loves me. I've got him..... thats all I need:biggrin:

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by giggles04
Nope, you're not. I have told my boyfriend this. I would rather have a porch all around my house than a huge rock. I'm not big on jewelry... and if it was that fancy I'd be scared to wear it

In terms of starting some sort of tradition, a deck or porch doesn't pass down through the generations as well as a diamond will, but to each his own :smile:

G

giggles04

Originally posted by SmallTown
In terms of starting some sort of tradition, a deck or porch doesn't pass down through the generations as well as a diamond will, but to each his own :smile:

Yes, it doesnt pass down... but I'm a very person... and the number of karats doesnt show me he loves me

SmallTown

Football season!
For the people talking about diamond size, don't forget it really depends on the cut of the diamond as to how big it looks.. If all you're looking for is size, go with a princess or emerald cut.. Most of the carat weight for these are on the surface of the diamond, meaning greater surface area.. A round diamond is a "deeper" cut, thus it has less surface area. The trade-off being this "thickness" to the round diamond is what reflects light so well and makes them look very brilliant.. You will notice with most emerald or princess cut diamonds, they have a not so clear look to them, kinda like a frosted ice cube..
With this in mind, the first picture that was posted (I think by yakky) probabaly was NOT as big as she thinks.. Probabaly more like a 1 carat diamond in the middle.

Therefore, the most brilliant and "precious" of the cuts is the round, but of course this also makes it more expensive.. So if you really have your mind set on a larger ring but don't want to fork out major bucks, go with the emerald or princess cut.. You also have a better chance of getting a larger diamond that isn't yellow with these cuts..

In the end, it comes down to what the woman wants to see on her hand.. Nothing worse than having a woman hide her hand as she meets people because she just hates the ring!:smile:

K

Kain99

If all you're looking for is size, go with a princess or emerald cut.. Most of the carat weight for these are on the surface of the diamond, meaning greater surface area.. A round diamond is a "deeper" cut, thus it has less surface area. The trade-off being this "thickness" to the round diamond is what reflects light so well and makes them look very brilliant.. You will notice with most emerald or princess cut diamonds, they have a not so clear look to them, kinda like a frosted ice cube..

The previous message brought to you by Raynor Blair :rolleyes:

yakky doodle

AMEN! :clap: SmallTown -- if i didn't know better, I'd say you were trying to kiss up! :lol: While I don't buy into the theory of "two months salary," I do believe that a diamond is forever. And it's something I'd like to pass on to my children in the future. I simply would prefer a beautiful engagement ring that will last forever than various pieces of jewelry every year for the next 30+ years; especially because I don't wear it much.

Therefore, the most brilliant and "precious" of the cuts is the round, but of course this also makes it more expensive.. So if you really have your mind set on a larger ring but don't want to fork out major bucks, go with the emerald or princess cut.. You also have a better chance of getting a larger diamond that isn't yellow with these cuts..

In the end, it comes down to what the woman wants to see on her hand.. Nothing worse than having a woman hide her hand as she meets people because she just hates the ring!:smile:
Exactly! And I know too many people who don't wear their engagement or wedding rings b/c of that (and a few who don't wear 'em for other reasons :really: )

What's the big deal with wanting a beautiful ring? Again, I never said "humongous" or "multiple carats" here.

I have to wonder if it's the old "I know I'll never get it so why should anyone else?" mentality. :ohwell:

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by tater
So I guess an engagement Bass Boat is outta the question ?? :confused:

As far as I know, most of the "rules" about engagements concern a man giving a woman a ring..
But, if you can talk the woman into proposing to you, then I think a boat works just fine.. :smile:

yakky doodle

Now, on the flip side -- here's a true story (not bk's definition of true story, either; this one is REAL! :lol:)

My friend's sister bought her own engagement ring. Yes, you read that right. Her now-husband bought her a 1 carat solitaire, and she didn't think that was good enough for her. Thus, she paid a visit to her family's jeweler (they are very well off financially), and designed her own engagement ring and selected a 3-carat solitaire. All said and done, the "new and improved" engagement ring totalled just over $20K. :eek: She recently went back and had them add a couple trillion cut diamond accents on each side of it for an additional $7K.

Now, THAT is going overboard, in my book, by a landslide and a half!!!

Not so coincident, they are heading for divorce after just under two short years of marriage. :ohwell: But it's not because of the ring; rather, her husband is in love and slept with her other sister (not my friend).

Talk about drama :duh:

K

Kain99

Gee I don't know Tater... If your interest is in being sent down the River, Go for it!