Yard sale? Really.

So_what

Yes I'm an MPD, But who's
They haven't had one for awhile now :knocksonwood: Due to their location, the parking SUCKS and it can be a cluster#### to get through there because of people parking in the road and partially blocking traffic. Having his every weekend Buy My #### sale may have garnered enough complaints to have had him shut it down.

It was the son in law who had all the yard sales. IIRC he moved to North Carolina or somewhere else. :shrug:

frequentflier

happy to be living
Do you have to pay sales tax on used merchandise? For some reason I didn't think you did, but....Maryland...nothing would surprise me.

SPOT thrift store and Vintage Treasures (that is in my old location in Solomons) both collect sales tax on used items so I think the correct answer is YES. Both are also legit businesses- don't know about the yard sale people.

wineo

loving life
The McCarthys buy storage units and refurbish the furniture and sell from their home. It is a yard sale, and they only do this a few times a year, because if you have more then 5 or something, you do have to pay taxes. Didn't read the whole thread, but thought I would mention they are legit....

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Soon you will be required to have a permit to have a yard sale, in this fine state.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Soon you will be required to have a permit to have a yard sale, in this fine state.

Actually that's been a law/regulation for years (1980's) in most of the State. It's embodied in a lot of Zoning codes along with a limit on how many one person can have each year.

glhs837

Power with Control

And the people who abuse this type of thing are the ones who drive such regulation. If you lived next door to one of these, you have a right to not have a yard not blocked off every weekend by shoppers. And yard salers are some of the most dangerous drivers out there on a weekend morning.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
What if the refreshments are lemonade and cookies? Should kids need a permit and health inspection for a lemonade and cookie stand now?

The Health Department started enforcement on that about 5 years ago. Calvert has been especially "diligent" in enforcement.

They started cracking down on Farmer's Markets and even individual roadside stands about the same time. Requiring bathroom and handwashing facilities, fly screening, etc.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I know there is a "yard sale" every weekend at the corner of 5/Indian Bridge Road. I've often wondered how legit it is.