Yes or no?

Clem72

Is there anywhere in CA that you won't live adjacent to a homeless encampment or have your property burglarized/vandalized? Or have such exorbitantly high cost of living that you are either a Kardashian or a homeless person living adjacent to them?
Lots of the central valleys, some towns in the middle of the desert, or mountain towns like bishop. Not where most people would like to live or else the price would be elevated like the rest of the state.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Sounds like we're only looking at this from the "white middle class" perspective. Don't forget that in many cultures, 3, 4, even 5 generations all live together in a bonded family. The thought of someone moving out makes family members freak out.
I've thought about this a lot myself. I think Americans very much value independence, and living so has become a part of our culture. I completely understand how some cultures make the multi-generational-co-habitual living work. I don't think I could, but 1. I have an uber-religious mid-western MIL and 2. Knowing you'll always live with family one way or another is very different than growing up thinking you'll never have to accommodate your family like that.

I do think some of the housing issues we're starting to see, as well as this co-independence between parents and offspring, may start to push Americans towards more multi-generational living situations. I have three of those right on my street. 3 generations all under 60 living in a large single-family home - permanently. No thanks :lol:

I also think about - what happens if one of our parents needs to move in with us? Lord the logistical nightmare if that happens...

gemma_rae

Short on your light bill??
:offtopic: but,
Did you copy and paste that from a black person's page?

:lol: I lived in PeeGee county the first 35 years of my life and have only ever heard black folks refer to such a thing as a "Light bill". It's actually the gas bill in the DMV because the original name of the local gas company was Washington Gas Light.

Sorry for the interruption.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Don't forget that in many cultures, 3, 4, even 5 generations all live together in a bonded family.
We lived with my maternal grandparents, including my mom's brothers and sister, for the 1st 7 years of my life.
When dad could afford a down payment and mortgage, we moved 1 whole mile away.
I had several hundred relatives within 10 miles or so of my childhood home.

Clem72

:offtopic: but,
Did you copy and paste that from a black person's page?

:lol: I lived in PeeGee county the first 35 years of my life and have only ever heard black folks refer to such a thing as a "Light bill". It's actually the gas bill in the DMV because the original name of the local gas company was Washington Gas Light.

Sorry for the interruption.
Do you call it a light socket or an electrical socket? We always called it by the company (I.E. the SMECO bill), but I have definitely heard "light bill" in many different locales.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Sounds like we're only looking at this from the "white middle class" perspective. Don't forget that in many cultures, 3, 4, even 5 generations all live together in a bonded family. The thought of someone moving out makes family members freak out.
Doing some geneology work, looking through 1870+ census, lots of local families with Father, Mother, 6 or more kids under 18 yr old, and a son and DIL and a couple grandkids all in one household.

Looks like mostly the son with a family was listed as a farm laborer.

And this went into the 1940 census. Once the USN came here, was a lot less prevalent.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Looks like mostly the son with a family was listed as a farm laborer.
My great grampa Burke was a farm laborer on my 2nd great grandparents Brady's farm.
He married one of the farmer's daughters in 1907.

gemma_rae

Guess I'm off ignore then.
Off Iggy.png

SamSpade

That's because I've already thought long and hard about the subject before I post about it. You'll have to come up with new information or something I hadn't thought of if you want me to change my mind.
And I am pretty sure I was one of those people.

On Vrai's behalf - come up with a new argument - a more compelling one than the ones that have been raised - and you may change her mind.

The problem with changing people's minds is - you must give them room to do it themselves - and they have to trust that you're not a douche bag just trying to jerk them around. You can't persuade someone who doesn't trust you no matter how good your facts are.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
On Vrai's behalf - come up with a new argument - a more compelling one than the ones that have been raised - and you may change her mind.

I change my mind often. You all just don't see it because the debate took place internally or with someone else before I took a public stance.

🤷‍♀️

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Those multi generational households have a completely different perspective on respect for the elderly. With your average WASP family the elderly are more or less loved by the younger generation, but they would prefer it if they stayed out of sight and out of mind except for birthdays and holidays. The multi generational families on the other hand look towards the older generations for a good amount of information on how to be a member of society.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
The multi generational families on the other hand look towards the older generations for a good amount of information on how to be a member of society.
I have memories of 4 of my great grandparents and some of their siblings.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Thing 2 volunteered in our county at the VFD and also lived there, so he saved a LOT of money working for for first Calvert Co Gov't and then for PGFD. He's paid off 4 vehicles: the 1st one was paid back to me, because I loaned him the $800. to buy it. His next car was financed & I co-signed for him. I told him from the beginning if he was late ONE TIME, it became MINE. He paid all the insurance on the car, gas, etc. A couple of years later, he paid that car off and got a Silverado (used), which was a 2nd vehicle. He has since paid off the truck, and traded the old car for a newer car that he drives back & forth to PG Co to work. In July, he bought his first home at 28.

I helped him out in the beginning by helping him get started with that money to buy the first car. But he never came to me to borrow money or to buy anything. He lived in the house for 6 months when he went to the Criminal Justice Academy after he was hired by the Corrections Dept. I didn't charge him rent, but he did buy all his own food, and a lot of times when he went to the store, he would buy groceries for the house, too.

A couple of years later, when he got accepted into PGFD, he also moved back into his room here in the house to attend their academy. THAT time, the agreement was that he would pay a certain amount of money equal to about 6-7 months rent when I decided to replace the carpeting in the house. So, that's what he did. Both of those times, the expectations were very specifically spelled out and there were boundaries set.