You don't see that every day!

DaSDGuy

My older brother would try that sometimes on purpose. He usually got away with it. He would swing at an obviously wild pitch on third strike, then beat the throw to 1st base.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
My older brother would try that sometimes on purpose. He usually got away with it. He would swing at an obviously wild pitch on third strike, then beat the throw to 1st base.
Help me understand please. If it's the third strike, why run? Isn't he considered out at that point? I'm not a baseball fan, so my knowledge of the game is very limited.

Grumpy

Help me understand please. If it's the third strike, why run? Isn't he considered out at that point? I'm not a baseball fan, so my knowledge of the game is very limited.
Catcher has to catch the ball for it to be an out..Wild pitch, batter swings and ball gets past catcher, catcher has to throw the batter out at 1st. Ball getting past the catcher typically allows batter to reach 1st safely.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Catcher has to catch the ball for it to be an out..Wild pitch, batter swings and ball gets past catcher, catcher has to throw the batter out at 1st. Ball getting past the catcher typically allows batter to reach 1st safely.
Ball has to be caught before it hits the ground for the strikeout to be an out. If it hits the ground you'll see catchers tag the batter out if he scoops it from the ground.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Ball has to be caught before it hits the ground for the strikeout to be an out. If it hits the ground you'll see catchers tag the batter out if he scoops it from the ground.
Thank you. I had no clue the game had such funny rules.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Not funny if you have ever played the game. For an out the ball has to be controlled.
I played one season in third grade. I didn't understand why they put me in right field until many, many years later. Not my cup of tea. I'll stick to fishing for my recreation, thank you.