Strung Out
getting closer...

Attachments

• rgpone44days032109.jpg
    rgpone44days032109.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 71

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Sure do wish I could get them to bloom again after I get them home***sigh***All those little buds in the center just turn brown and die.

When you get them home; don't feed them. Keep them from a hard wilt. AM sun, PM shade is ideal though they will handle blistering sun IF you don't let them get too dry.

When the existing flowers are done, remove them and see if there are any more buds coming. If you see no buds, remove some of the larger center leaves to allow more light down into the crown. Feed them once a week at a fairly high level of N, 100-200ppm or so, a balanced typical homeowners type feed will do, Miracle grow, etc, until you see some new leaves coming up in the crown. Back off the feed, continue normal care, and once those leaves fully develop, you should see some new buds down in the crown. In a few weeks, new flowers!

Each leaf on a gerber has the potential to produce one flower. So, we're getting new growth going after the existing 'supply' is gone, then, back off the feed and let it happen!

:buddies:

Watch out for powdery mildew. Always better to wate early rather than late in the day so the foliage can dry.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
When you get them home; don't feed them. Keep them from a hard wilt. AM sun, PM shade is ideal though they will handle blistering sun IF you don't let them get too dry.

When the existing flowers are done, remove them and see if there are any more buds coming. If you see no buds, remove some of the larger center leaves to allow more light down into the crown. Feed them once a week at a fairly high level of N, 100-200ppm or so, a balanced typical homeowners type feed will do, Miracle grow, etc, until you see some new leaves coming up in the crown. Back off the feed, continue normal care, and once those leaves fully develop, you should see some new buds down in the crown. In a few weeks, new flowers!

Each leaf on a gerber has the potential to produce one flower. So, we're getting new growth going after the existing 'supply' is gone, then, back off the feed and let it happen!

:buddies:

Watch out for powdery mildew. Always better to water early rather than late in the day so the foliage can dry.

:scribblinginstructionsquickasican:

Wait, I have a PRINT button!

Thanks, Larry. I have 30 acres of full sun, will they do OK in the shade of a juniper, lilac, or pussy willow shrub?

I'm more of a plant and forget flower gardener, guess gerbers just shouldn't be a plant of choice in my beds? The veggie and herb gardens get all of my attention during the summer months. The cone flowers, tall phlox, and daisies do great for me!

Thanks! :howdy:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
:
Thanks, Larry. I have 30 acres of full sun, will they do OK in the shade of a juniper, lilac, or pussy willow shrub? They need sun. AM is best. So, if the shade is PM, OK.

I'm more of a plant and forget flower gardener, guess gerbers just shouldn't be a plant of choice in my beds? The veggie and herb gardens get all of my attention during the summer months. The cone flowers, tall phlox, and daisies do great for me!

Thanks! :howdy:

Gerbs are not low maintenance. They are, however, unique.

OMG! I'm going to be the perfect adoption home for my baby Gerbers! They will be going in lovely beds surrounding the patio which gets full sun until about 3-4ish...then the sun travels to the other side of the house leaving a nice indirect rest of the afternoon and evening...:clap:

They are so beautiful! :bawl:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
OMG! I'm going to be the perfect adoption home for my baby Gerbers! They will be going in lovely beds surrounding the patio which gets full sun until about 3-4ish...then the sun travels to the other side of the house leaving a nice indirect rest of the afternoon and evening...:clap:

They are so beautiful! :bawl:

That is IF we can get to them in time. :jameo: Check your email tomorrow - we need to rescue...er, ADOPT them ASAP. :lol:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Ready to load...

...right after a little shower;

Attachments

• grbshwr0417091447.jpg
    grbshwr0417091447.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 60
  • grpship0417091449.jpg
    grpship0417091449.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 63