Youthful Rifle Caliber

nutz

Hunting on the Eastern shore not somd.

All center fires have kick, using semi autos do lessen the effect. Factory ammo or hand loads would make a difference too. An AR-x platform may be a good choice. I would pick 7mm-08 as it's a bit more versatile than the 243. Bolt action, I would opt for a 22/250, a little lighter recoil but it will work fine for deer and is a fun varmint gun too.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Hunting on the Eastern shore not somd.

Depends where on the eastern shore you will be hunting. Currently, for the eastern shore counties of Caroline, Kent, Queen Anne's, and Talbot no rifles for deer hunting at all, in Worcester County it is more complicated (as follows: (1) within one mile of any school, (2) within that portion of South Point lying south of a line beginning at the west end of the Sinepuxent Bay Bridge on State Rt. 611, then by and with the south side of Rt. 611 to the junction of the South Point Road going south for a distance of 0.6 miles to a point opposite the southern boundary of the Ocean City Golf and Yacht Club property on the west side of the road, then by the southern boundary of the Ocean City Golf and Yacht Club to Trappe Creek and (3) within that portion of the land lying south of a line beginning at the mouth of the St. Martin River northwest to the junction with Shingle Landing Road, then by and with the south side of Shingle Landing Road to the junction with State Rt. 113, then by and with the east side of Rt. 113 to the junction with Rt. 589, then by and with the east side of Rt. 589 to the junction with US Rt. 50, then by and with the north side of Rt. 50 to the junction with Assawoman Bay, then by and with the west boundary of Assawoman Bay to the junction with the St. Martin River.).

If you are hunting in Cecil, Dorchester, Somerset, Wicomico, or the above defined area of Worcester, a rifle is okay to use.

jrt_ms1995

Or, if budget is a factor, consider these. My niece took her first deer with an H&R Handi-Rifle in .243 (though I personally prefer my H&R M-1 Garand! :cool:).

officeguy

.243 or 7mm08

More factory ammo choices in .243 Everything from 55gr Varmint to 105gr long-range target loads. Most off the shelf stuff for game use is 95-100.

Someone (Ruger/Savage?) makes a youth model with synthetic stock and a set of removable spacers. As his length of pull approaches an adult, you can add the spacers. Eventually, you can just get an adult stock for the action.