Update on staph infections in Calvert County Public Schools

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
On October 12, 2007, a letter was sent home with students to let parents know that several CCPS students were receiving treatment for Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). MRSA is a bacterial infection that is passed from person to person through skin contact.

As of today, we are not aware of any additional students who have been diagnosed with MRSA. In order to continue to protect the health of our students, employees and community, however, we continue to disinfect equipment and thoroughly clean classrooms, locker rooms, bathrooms, and other areas of our school facilities. We are also asking any student with an uncovered scrape, cut or rash to see the school nurse for initial screening. Students may be directed to their physician if there is any indication of an infection.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDP), practicing good hygiene is the most important thing that community members can do to prevent the spread of this infection. These steps include:

Keep your hands clean by washing thoroughly with soap and water or using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
Keep cuts and scrapes clean and covered with a bandage until healed.
Avoid contact with other people’s wounds or bandages.
Avoid sharing personal items such as towels or razors.
Use a barrier (e.g. clothing or towel) between your skin and shared athletic equipment.
You can visit the CDC website, which can be accessed through the following link, for more complete information:

CA-MRSA: Public FAQs | CDC Infection Control in Healthcare

poster

I do not like this one bit. Makes me nervous.

...a letter was sent home with students to let parents know that several CCPS students were receiving treatment for Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). ........

I got one of these letters and was not left with the impression of "several" students.
Maybe I just read it too quickly?
How many students and what schools exactly, does anyone know?

Tina2001aniT

...a letter was sent home with students to let parents know that several CCPS students were receiving treatment for Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). ........

I got one of these letters and was not left with the impression of "several" students.

Let me check I have the letter. Somehow (I am not sure if from the letter or news or what) I thought it was a football player at Calvert High.

R

residentofcre

I've had two boughts with that MRSA and it's not fun.... It put me in the hospital for ten days both times....

I'm with you... I thought it was only one of the football players at Calvert High.... and as soon as they diagnosed him they cancelled practice and disinfected the school....I heard the multiples were in Virginia...not here...

hurricane

It's 5 O'clock somewhere!

InsanelyBusy

The letter says "suspected cases" plural.

Yep. Our daughter brought home a letter, but it wasnt Friday. It was this past Tuesday.

I'm not sure the schools can confirm that it was/is indeed MRSA, in the school letter, as the people had not been diagnosed as having the MRSA at the time the letter was written. It sounds like a legal loop hole method of communication to the parents of kids in the schools.

I have worried every single day about our kids. The halls are pretty crowded in between classes, kids borrow pens & pencils from others...etc.

This whole MRSA thing IS scarey.

I am not sure on exact details but I heard from several parents that a kid on my local football team there was a kid that had this and that child would be around the 1st or 2nd grade age. Not sure what school this child goes to. But as soon as this person was telling me about it this letter went out.

poster

I am not sure on exact details but I heard from several parents that a kid on my local football team there was a kid that had this and that child would be around the 1st or 2nd grade age. Not sure what school this child goes to. But as soon as this person was telling me about it this letter went out.

If this proves to be true please post again!

I thought this was primarily a High School issue. I took it seriously but my child is Elementary age, that would bring in a whole new scope of fear for me personally.

Sweet 16

^^8^^
I am wondering why these cases are now so widespread when you hardly ever heard about it before. Is it just increased media attention and has this always been a problem we haven't heard about or are there really more cases than normal? Maybe it's because it's football season and the disease seems to be concentrated in locker rooms. I just think it is strange that if it is transmitted by person to person contact, why there are so many different outbreaks that are not concentrated in one geographic area. I am also worried because my son is getting ready for hockey season and he'll be in close contact with all those sweaty, teenage boys and their hockey gear and the locker rooms.

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member
There was a kid on Elliot/DC101 this morning from Huntingtown HS who said he got it there.

vbailey

vbailey
Lots of people in St. Mary's have had it too. My son and I both had it last summer, I believe we got it from a shower house in a camp ground in Ohio. ( I only shower in my camper now ) Hubby never got it, I don't know why, we sleep in the same bed, shower in the same shower???? Can't figure it out. Son and I were on Med's for 30 days. It is very, very, painful. You will know it when you have it for all the pain and how nasty it looks.

jenbengen

Watch it
They had cases there last year.

Calvert Hospital has an issue with this too.

I'm interested in knowing the "normal" amount of cases our counties have of this each year. Is Calvert's # of cases considered an outbreak or fairly average? It all makes my skin crawl either way. Blech.

jenbengen

Watch it
Lots of people in St. Mary's have had it too. My son and I both had it last summer, I believe we got it from a shower house in a camp ground in Ohio. ( I only shower in my camper now ) Hubby never got it, I don't know why, we sleep in the same bed, shower in the same shower???? Can't figure it out. Son and I were on Med's for 30 days. It is very, very, painful. You will know it when you have it for all the pain and how nasty it looks.

:faint: