Update on staph infections in Calvert County Public Schools

B

Bronwyn

My son goes to Patuxent. I asked him about it and he had NO clue what I was talking about.

Tina2001aniT

My son goes to Patuxent. I asked him about it and he had NO clue what I was talking about.

My kiddo goes to Appeal and she is aware of it because she saw it on the news and we went over the letter with her, but nothing from the school.

I have mixed feelings on this. I would like the schools to make them aware and remind them to wash their hands extra and such during the day, but in the same respect I don't want kiddo scared. I guess the schools just can't win, :Lol:

LusbyMom

You're a LOON :)
Patuxent. I think Ms Brooks is the only one who does it. I got the memo from the school too last week and it didn't suggest doing that but he told me the next morning that his teacher told him to bring one.

I have a 1st grader to but not in Brooks class. It's a good idea!

LusbyMom

You're a LOON :)
My kiddo goes to Appeal and she is aware of it because she saw it on the news and we went over the letter with her, but nothing from the school.

I have mixed feelings on this. I would like the schools to make them aware and remind them to wash their hands extra and such during the day, but in the same respect I don't want kiddo scared. I guess the schools just can't win, :Lol:

I am suprised Appeal didn't talk about it at the monday morning meeting.. I was there for most of the meeting.

D

dems4me

This has been around for awhile. There is mass hysteria about it now.

I agree. I can't even turn on the news without hearing about it like its a huge pandemic and then a few days ago they compared it to aids. I disagree, there is no medication that I'm aware of that you can give to someone to get rid of HIV/aids. However, even if it is the rare but invasive strand of MRSA (the kind I think I had in the hospital), you can still beat it with lots of IV vancomycen, the key is to act quickly in my opinion :shrug: I was just fine with my bout of it, all but the trachea moving completely over in my neck was kind of freaky though. I felt worlds better after being on IV and another surgery to clean and irrigate my neck. Personally, what would worry me more is if there weren't ANY antibiotics that could get rid of the more serious cases. Mine came on fast like gangbusters and way too fast for my own body to fight it off.

W

WhoCares

MRSA is something that is so difficult to treat. It is considered a super bug, and resistant to many antibiotics.

I had it back in 2000, and was in and out of the hospital settings for two months. If I get any type of cut on my leg, I am right on it cleaning it, and making sure it stays clean.

I don't wish it on anyone.

From the CDC on MRSA. CDC On MRSA

MRSA Resources. MRSA Resouces

Just think.... every time you go to the hospital or your doctor - The cuff they put on your arm is rarely if ever cleaned. This is a big pet peeve of some hosptial techs I know. :whistle:

That's one of the reason that so many people actually catch this in the Healthcare environment and not socially.

I just recently heard (haven't looked to confirm..) that doctors are starting to NOT wear neckties for that same reason. Apparently they have been linked to the transfer of illness. Neckties are rarely if ever laundered.

poster

I've been worried about this too. All this week, my son has had to bring a water bottle to school because his teacher doesn't want them getting water from the fountain.

At Saint Leonard many on the teachers let and ask kids to bring water bottles.
This cuts down on the, "can I get a drink of water?", and helps keep the kids at their seats. I've always thought it was great. Perhaps that's the reason he was told to bring one.

CalCo

Just another

Update on staph infections in Calvert County Public Schools
Quote:
On October 12, 2007, a letter was sent home with students to let parents know that several CCPS students were receiving treatment for Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). MRSA is a bacterial infection that is passed from person to person through skin contact.

As of today, we are not aware of any additional students who have been diagnosed with MRSA. In order to continue to protect the health of our students, employees and community, however, we continue to disinfect equipment and thoroughly clean classrooms, locker rooms, bathrooms, and other areas of our school facilities. We are also asking any student with an uncovered scrape, cut or rash to see the school nurse for initial screening. Students may be directed to their physician if there is any indication of an infection.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDP), practicing good hygiene is the most important thing that community members can do to prevent the spread of this infection. These steps include:

Keep your hands clean by washing thoroughly with soap and water or using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
Keep cuts and scrapes clean and covered with a bandage until healed.
Avoid contact with other people’s wounds or bandages.
Avoid sharing personal items such as towels or razors.
Use a barrier (e.g. clothing or towel) between your skin and shared athletic equipment.
You can visit the CDC website, which can be accessed through the following link, for more complete information:

CA-MRSA: Public FAQs | CDC Infection Control in Healthcare

Just another reason to home school!

D

dems4me

Just another reason to home school!

I don't know that home schooling is the answer :shrug: MRSA is all around - in hospitals, elderly homes, schools, and probably regular people's home's too, and probaly even in stores. If they were to test EVERYONE, they'd probably see the stats are up there for this in all arenas :shrug: There are different level's of MRSA. I think what scares me from all this latest hype is for those that have the deadlier strain of MRSA or will have it. I'm afraid that doctors fearing their patients and their parents threats in a panic could be treating EVERYONE in "an abundance of caution" with vancomycn and bactrim. In turn, that would cause another strain of MRSA even more deadly than the deadlier strain :shrug: This strain would now be resistant to Vancomycn and Bacrim. These are the only two antibiotics that could cure this. :shrug: As a survivor of the dealier strain, personally it bothers me that folks with spider bites, rashes and regular staph could be treated with Vancomycin and Bactrim in "an abundance of caution" :shrug: JMO - been there done that with MRSA - hate to see it worse for others due to all this recent hype :shrug: :frown:

R

residentofcre

I don't know that home schooling is the answer :shrug: MRSA is all around - in hospitals, elderly homes, schools, and probably regular people's home's too, and probaly even in stores. If they were to test EVERYONE, they'd probably see the stats are up there for this in all arenas :shrug: There are different level's of MRSA. I think what scares me from all this latest hype is for those that have the deadlier strain of MRSA or will have it. I'm afraid that doctors fearing their patients and their parents threats in a panic could be treating EVERYONE in "an abundance of caution" with vancomycn and bactrim. In turn, that would cause another strain of MRSA even more deadly than the deadlier strain :shrug: This strain would now be resistant to Vancomycn and Bacrim. These are the only two antibiotics that could cure this. :shrug: As a survivor of the dealier strain, personally it bothers me that folks with spider bites, rashes and regular staph could be treated with Vancomycin and Bactrim in "an abundance of caution" :shrug: JMO - been there done that with MRSA - hate to see it worse for others due to all this recent hype :shrug: :frown:

It starts our looking like spider bite sometimes... It can also look like herpes... In my case they wasted time trying to figure it out because mine was brought on by an allergic reaction to neosporin.... that caused the skin irratation that let in the MRSA... and I spent 10 days in the hospital after 5 days of trying to figure it all out...

M

missperky

I got a letter today from St Mary's County Schools, 2 confirmed cases of MSRA in SMC.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I just recently heard (haven't looked to confirm..) that doctors are starting to NOT wear neckties for that same reason. Apparently they have been linked to the transfer of illness. Neckties are rarely if ever laundered.

8 - 10 years ago they jumped on nurses with fake nails, which I can understand.. Neckties??

What are you doing with your tie that it will pick up a staph infection?? Wiping your ass with it, picking your nose with it??

itsbob

I bowl overhand
AND if I remember correctly my brother told me that OSHA had changed the rules regarding the wearing of scrus outside of health facilities.. Nursing Homes (where MRSA is prevelant) Hospitals and labs.. You wear street clothes into the facility, change at work, and change back to street clothes before leaving.. If you can imagine what kind of 'stuff' scrubs being worn by a nurse, nurse's aide, or a doctor, come in contact with daily you can understand why..

Just imagine what's on their SHOES!!

But you still see scrubs EVERYWHERE in the neighborhoods around all the above facilities.

8 - 10 years ago they jumped on nurses with fake nails, which I can understand.. Neckties??

What are you doing with your tie that it will pick up a staph infection?? Wiping your ass with it, picking your nose with it??

:lmao: took you 3 days to get here? You're slipping Bob....