15 Year Old Shot at Solomons Landing

From what I've read, that report isn't completely accurate. There were 2 shots fired, not one.
And the skateboarder could accidently knock someone down causing them to split their head open on the concrete... and so on and so one... it all boils down to those teens as to being the primary source of cause... period.

Taeobi

No, they were not angels. But, as usual, when $hit hits the fan, suddenly they go from the pot-stirrers to the little innocent victims who are misunderstood and never meant to hurt anyone.

And the skateboarder could accidently knock someone down causing them to split their head open on the concrete... and so on and so one... it all boils down to those teens as to being the primary source of cause... period.

You both nailed it. I'm not condoning shooting a kid or anything. But, you never know who you are dealing with nowadays.

EASTERBUNNY77

He's not your kid, I hope?

To others who posted in support of my view, thank you!

No it was not my son, I taught my son better than that!! I am in no way excusing these kids misbehavior, I can't stand little punk kids going around causing trouble etc. BUT I do believe this guy was just a little excessive.

Taeobi

No it was not my son, I taught my son better than that!! I am in no way excusing these kids misbehavior, I can't stand little punk kids going around causing trouble etc. BUT I do believe this guy was just a little excessive.

Feel the same way, but again, you never know who you are dealing with. So, don't take the chance to antagonize an old man, or anyone for that matter!! Parents need to step up their parenting skills...

CalvertActiv

These brats are rude and disrespectful. They constantly harass people and the police never do anything. They say "I didn't witness it so I can't do anything". There are no penalties for these kids. Hopefully getting shot will teach them a lesson. Do you all remember when you were kids? We would never think of doing the crap these kids do.

dustin

UAIOE
...IF the article is accurate, the man should not have fired a warning shot in the direction of the kids, and IMO should not have fired a warning shot at all. Should not have used pepper spray either.

1st rule of gun safety: always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction

Now... if the article is inaccurate, and the man feared for his life or the life of another, then the escalation of force applied (pepper spray first, then shotgun) becomes more debatable...

I don't put a lot of faith in accurate reporting when it comes to possible self defense situations

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
No, they were not angels. But, as usual, when $hit hits the fan, suddenly they go from the pot-stirrers to the little innocent victims who are misunderstood and never meant to hurt anyone.

They definitely were not angels, but the actions that the man took just end up being fodder for the gun snatchers.

@Dustin - Even firing into the air to "scare them off" can be considered reckless endangerment and is a felony in and of itself. IIRC.

B

BET

Are you blaming the kid who got shot? No matter what kind of havoc these kids were reaking, that does NOT give this man the right to take the law into his own hands. They were in no way posing a threat to him, he was just annoyed with them. What would you say about this had the kid died from his gunshot? He should rot in jail!!

Most of those condos and adjacent parking lots are way off the main road and are very secluded. If there were troubled teens in your back yard at night wouldn’t you feel threatened?

dustin

UAIOE
Wouldn't that be illegal anyway, discharging a firearm in a residential area? I did a few searches, only came up with AA and Montgomery Counties.

maybe, also maybe what kom526 said as well... if anything maybe a noise ordinance violation...

regardless, it's a bad idea...

Vince

These brats are rude and disrespectful. They constantly harass people and the police never do anything. They say "I didn't witness it so I can't do anything". There are no penalties for these kids. Hopefully getting shot will teach them a lesson. Do you all remember when you were kids? We would never think of doing the crap these kids do.
No, my parents would have kicked my ass from here to eternity if I even thought about doing crap like that. We were taught to respect our elders. These kids are the future criminals of Solomons and need to be treated as such. Their parents apparently didn't do their job. In their future, it will be up to the police and judicial system to do it for them.

Last edited:

Vince

Arguably, the butt of some little punk is a 'safe direction'.

Dumb idea to take a gun to settle a nuisance issue such as skateboarders.
Have to agree with you there. Call the police. Sooner or later the punks will get the message.

Dumb idea, reckless or what I still find it sad and alarming an old man felt pushed to the point of having to do such a thing. It sure sounds like he had no support from the law and he had enough. It is sad he was pushed over the edge... again if nothing else I sure hope it brings attention to the fact that something needs to be done when it comes to vandalizing, threatening troublemakers. People have a right to live in peace.

officeguy

Have to agree with you there. Call the police. Sooner or later the punks will get the message.

Well, the problem is that the police cant really do much.

You (or a rep of the management company / security guard) have to confront them and tell them to leave your property. In somewhat publicly accessible area, you have very little justification to detain them until the cops arrive. So if they rough up your place and threaten you but disappear before the police is there, you have pretty much nothing on them. Now if you know who they are and you have video surveillance/witnesses to proove what happened, you can go to the police / district court commissioner and file a complaint for criminal trespass. Even then, the juvenile justice system has bigger fish to fry and would close the cases after they tell them to pray 5 rosaries or something.

mitzi

Most of those condos and adjacent parking lots are way off the main road and are very secluded. If there were troubled teens in your back yard at night wouldn’t you feel threatened?

I personally would call the sheriff's department. I sure wouldn't shoot at them unless they were trying to get in my door.

Justme2

So the last one to run away got it

Or the slowest 15 year old. OK, so how old was the rest of the group. Any body ever been surrounded by a group of mouthy teenagers? Most are harmless, some are right rude, Some are dangerous. Some think they are the badest thing on this earth till the get the stuffings beat out of them.

The police I feel sorry for they have to play referee for the entire situation and be fair on both sides.:coffee:

jedi2814

There was a time in this county, not so very long ago that kids would not think of doing these kinds of things for fear of getting shot at. Learn some respect or I'll teach it to you and if buckshot is the only thing you can understand then that's how you'll learn it. I am sick to death of the poor little punk victims.