2023 Hummingbird Thread

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I'm pretty sure mine are gone. The 2 males stopped showing up a couple of weeks ago. Last I saw the 2 females, they were duking it out over the feeder last weekend. That said, I've been in the office all day, everyday this week and haven't seen them in the evenings. I'll leave it up a few more days since there is still some nectar left.

bye bye birdie film GIF

3CATSAILOR

Any sightings?

I put my feeder out late last week. Haven’t seen any here in Port Tobacco. They should be arriving in Southern Maryland any time now.
The Fake News has reported there is a new breed of Hummingbird that has "gold" feathers. I wonder.

NextJen

Raisin cane
I read that the males head south first. The females follow and then the juveniles. I still have several on the feeders and flowers but not as many as last week.
That’s the opposite of the Ospreys. Females head south first, leaving Dad to stay behind to help the juveniles get ready for the long flight ahead.
So far I’m still seeing hummingbirds and osprey. Fewer osprey sightings now though.
I just cleaned and refilled my hummingbird feeder. Sadly, this is the last batch they will be getting from me.

I'm pretty sure mine are gone. The 2 males stopped showing up a couple of weeks ago. Last I saw the 2 females, they were duking it out over the feeder last weekend. That said, I've been in the office all day, everyday this week and haven't seen them in the evenings. I'll leave it up a few more days since there is still some nectar left.

bye bye birdie film GIF
I love that movie!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Sitting on my deck enjoying this nice evening, watching the fish activity in the canal. I have at least one female hummingbird hitting the feeder this evening.
I was up there last weekend. Not what I expected. They let us walk around before the 4pm event. Stopped at The Charles for an early dinner. Had the outside patio to ourselves during the rain deluge. 😂

DaSDGuy

Still have two pair of females. Using feeder in front in the morning and feeders in the back after noon.

NextJen

Raisin cane
Got to SC early this afternoon. Noticed a hummingbird on the feeder in the back yard, but the nectar hadn’t been refreshed since I was here a couple weeks ago. I took the feeder down, cleaned it and put in fresh nectar. I only saw the back of one. I believe it was a ruby throated variety.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
And one murder hornet that they appear to be nervous of.
Take a water bottle, put about 4 to 6 ounces of a 50/50 sugar water mix in it, leave the lid off (but close by) and place near the feeders. Bees and hornets will fly into the bottle. Then while they are in it put the lid on the bottle and shake it up. Coats them with the sticky water and they can't get out of the bottle. Remove the lid and repeat as necessary.

NOTSMC

Take a water bottle, put about 4 to 6 ounces of a 50/50 sugar water mix in it, leave the lid off (but close by) and place near the feeders. Bees and hornets will fly into the bottle. Then while they are in it put the lid on the bottle and shake it up. Coats them with the sticky water and they can't get out of the bottle. Remove the lid and repeat as necessary.
That should probably help Prch's and Kinnakeet's hummer problem as well!