A Little Story About Solomons Pier Restaurant

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I guess there is an element of safety and concern for the environment in that practice? Just doesn't sound like the wine would taste good out of plastic? Maybe I'm just being too picky ....

Stoneys (which the Pier is part of) has always used plasticware for their food and drinks. :shrug: At least when dining outside at the Pier.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I guess there is an element of safety and concern for the environment in that practice? Just doesn't sound like the wine would taste good out of plastic? Maybe I'm just being too picky ....

I dunno...it's always been that way at every one of the Stoneys I've been to...never gave it much thought. Food is usually decent and the atmosphere is good as is the view, at least at the Pier and Broomes Island..so I don't much care what kind of "cup" my drink(s) comes in..

We don't go the King Fisher much and haven't been there in years but they used to use plastic plates/cups for everything.

Hawkeye

Stoneys (which the Pier is part of) has always used plasticware for their food and drinks. :shrug: At least when dining outside at the Pier, not sure what they use inside. Stoneys started that way with their first restaurant on Broomes Island. The kitchen was very, very small and they didn't have the facilities to keep up with washing dishes with as busy as they were.

I suppose I can understand the plastic ware when they first started but it seems like Stoney's owns more than a few of the establishments down in Solomons now. Based on the prices on their menu and what you get in return, you would think they could afford a liitle better quality of plastic ware when serving diners on the Pier. It's just a bit of a let down when you order a nice glass of wine (which on the menu is described as a "glass" of wine), are asked to pay and particularly high price (which I understand, thats just the way it is) and then the wine comes to you in a plastic cup. Maybe I'm just not acclimated to Southern Maryland living yet. :whistle: If it was moonshine, a plastic cup or a mason jar would be acceptable but not with a glass of wine.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
How do they serve a Margarita with SALT outside? That would be hard to do with a plastic cup?

I suppose I can understand the plastic ware when they first started but it seems like Stoney's owns more than a few of the establishments down in Solomons now. Based on the prices on their menu and what you get in return, you would think they could afford a liitle better quality of plastic ware when serving diners on the Pier. It's just a bit of a let down when you order a nice glass of wine (which on the menu is described as a "glass" of wine), are asked to pay and particularly high price (which I understand, thats just the way it is) and then the wine comes to you in a plastic cup. Maybe I'm just not acclimated to Southern Maryland living yet. :whistle: If it was moonshine, a plastic cup or a mason jar would be acceptable but not with a glass of wine.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Well, I had a great margarita served in a plastic cup! I requested it with no salt, though, so that problem was solved. :smile:

I didn't mind the way the food was served. It was a perfectly fine experience - we had good food, good company, we were on the water & the ambiance was just right. The waiter was wonderful!

I had the baby crab cake dinner with a salad & steamed veggies for $19.99. That's a pretty good price, and the food was delicious. :shrug:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Well I LIKE the salt. So I have to have mine with salt. Maybe I'd have to stay inside with a real glass :whistle: ...

I hope to try the place one day.

Well, I had a great margarita served in a plastic cup! I requested it with no salt, though, so that problem was solved. :smile:

Hawkeye

I didn't mind the way the food was served. It was a perfectly fine experience - we had good food, good company, we were on the water & the ambiance was just right. The waiter was wonderful!

I had the baby crab cake dinner with a salad & steamed veggies for $19.99. That's a pretty good price, and the food was delicious. :shrug:

Unfortunately, I'm sure the food is delicious but unfortunately I am unable to comment on the food because we never received our order:eyebrow:. Had my order been fulfilled, I would have been able to comment and may have actually liked the food. But 3 oysters, 3 scallops, 3 shrimp and a piece of fish for $32 (some kind of platter on the menu) seems just a tad pricey. Anyway, the menu and prices weren't the issue, the terrible service and the new deck was my primary rub. I think I'll stop while I'm still ahead on this topic. I don't want to :deadhorse

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Well I LIKE the salt. So I have to have mine with salt. Maybe I'd have to stay inside with a real glass :whistle: ...

I hope to try the place one day.

I believe the friend who was there before me had a margarita - and it was on her recommendation that I got one. I'm almost sure hers had salt. I could be mistaken.

It's not that hard to wet a cup and dip it in salt! :lol:

It's not a crabhouse, but come on people - it's Solomon's Pier! We're not talking 5 star dining here! (no offense to them!) You're sitting on a pier! And :yikes: The chairs were plastic!

:lol:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I believe the friend who was there before me had a margarita - and it was on her recommendation that I got one. I'm almost sure hers had salt. I could be mistaken.

It's not that hard to wet a cup and dip it in salt! :lol:

It's not a crabhouse, but come on people - it's Solomon's Pier! We're not talking 5 star dining here! (no offense to them!) You're sitting on a pier! And :yikes: The chairs were plastic!

:lol:

The outdoor plastic chairs at Clarke's Landing have been upgraded. :yay: