ACCIDENTS KEEP PILING UP

3CATSAILOR

Accidents keep piling up. I guess it has become something we accept as part of the risk. Last Thursday on 235 I was headed North bound in the St. James area. A car came head on in my lane. I got out of the way barely in time. Most people don't survive head ons. Later on and in to the evening on the way home, I observed at least ten vehicles going across the white line and on to the shoulder and back. A guy was driving down the shoulder instead of the road. He eventually came back on the road. Everywhere you turn, you hear on the radio, on line News, the Enterprise and the County Times and even every now and then the Washington D.C. TV stations about a single vehicle that went off of the road in Southern Maryland and hit a tree, a car or a house. Usually folks do not survive these type of accidents.

Last edited:

Kinnakeet

Accidents keep piling up. I guess it has become something we accept as part of the risk. Last Thursday on 235 I was headed North bound in the St. James area. A car came head on in my lane. I got out of the way barely in time. Most people don't survive head ons. Later on and in to the evening on the way home, I observed at least ten vehicles going across the white line and on to the shoulder and back. A guy was driving down the shoulder instead of the road. He eventually came back on the road. Everywhere you turn, you hear on the radio, on line News, the Enterprise and the County Times and even every now and then the Washington D.C. TV stations about a single vehicle that what off of the road in Southern Maryland and hit a tree, a car or a house. Usually folks do not survive these type of accidents.
Texting and driving?

glhs837

Power with Control
Texting and driving?

Yep, but don't worry, the Sheriffs gonna add some speed cameras that will magically make people put down their phones and not fail to yield. Asa long as we don't enforce the law on distracted driving, all the speed cameras in the world wont help. Well, except to add hundreds of thousands to the Sheriffs budget like it does in Calvert. .

Reactions: BOP

DaSDGuy

Yep, but don't worry, the Sheriffs gonna add some speed cameras that will magically make people put down their phones and not fail to yield. Asa long as we don't enforce the law on distracted driving, all the speed cameras in the world wont help. Well, except to add hundreds of thousands to the Sheriffs budget like it does in Calvert. .
So speeders pay and my taxes don't go up. OK by me.

glhs837

Power with Control
So speeders pay and my taxes don't go up. OK by me.
Oh you sweet summer child! Of course your taxes will still go up. P The point of enforcement should be increasing safety not making money. Once you open that Pandora's box of enforcement for money, you end up with a hell of a lot more enforcement and no more safety. I mean, you've seen the s*** show that legislation for money brings. Why would you want law enforcement doing that?

Tech

Sat behind a deputy that failed to move on the left turn signal, had to wait for the next cycle.

Speed cameras are own by a for profit company so the motivation to enforce is not safety. If found to be mistaken, the company needs to be find $100K and given to the driver and owner charged with extortion.

PeoplesElbow

Sat behind a deputy that failed to move on the left turn signal, had to wait for the next cycle.

Speed cameras are own by a for profit company so the motivation to enforce is not safety. If found to be mistaken, the company needs to be find $100K and given to the driver and owner charged with extortion.
Didn't goose the horn?

glhs837

Power with Control

Did you see that there is a piece of legislation on the table to remove the requirement for a sworn officer to review the citations before sending. See, that officers costs money, and since the whole deal is about money, a $15 dollar an hour contractor deciding if you are getting a ticket is just fine with them. Combine that with the restriction on how you can legally challenge a citation and it's a money machine.

OccamsRazor

So... what is the solution? Solution to all of the distracted driving, aggressive driving, red light running, and speeding.

somdwatch

Well, for the cameras, buy a bike rack if they can't see one letter you're set.

For the idiot drivers? "You can't fix Stupid"

Having gone through DC recently I'd say that the drivers up there were better than here in St. Marys county. Sadly.

ginwoman

Accidents keep piling up. I guess it has become something we accept as part of the risk. Last Thursday on 235 I was headed North bound in the St. James area. A car came head on in my lane. I got out of the way barely in time. Most people don't survive head ons. Later on and in to the evening on the way home, I observed at least ten vehicles going across the white line and on to the shoulder and back. A guy was driving down the shoulder instead of the road. He eventually came back on the road. Everywhere you turn, you hear on the radio, on line News, the Enterprise and the County Times and even every now and then the Washington D.C. TV stations about a single vehicle that what off of the road in Southern Maryland and hit a tree, a car or a house. Usually folks do not survive these type of accidents.
very scary. I am glad you were not hit.

glhs837

Power with Control
So... what is the solution? Solution to all of the distracted driving, aggressive driving, red light running, and speeding.
Enforcement. With officers. Points on licences, fines in excess of 100 or 200 dollars. Ticket failure to yield. Ticket cell phone drivers. Far more crashes from those things than speeding or red lights.

OccamsRazor

Enforcement. With officers. Points on licences, fines in excess of 100 or 200 dollars. Ticket failure to yield. Ticket cell phone drivers. Far more crashes from those things than speeding or red lights.
Agree 100% BUT......

That entails actual work and that is very hardz...... :sarcasm: