ACCIDENTS KEEP PILING UP

glhs837

Power with Control
It's gone, although the signs are still up. There was really only one place to put it at that location that wasn't blocked by vegetation or the way the road is. It was on a pole, just like down the road, which has clearer lines of sight to begin with.
By move it I mean move it to a different school. They have nine cameras in twelve locations. So they shuffle them from location to location. https://www.calvertcountymd.gov/206...d camera,School, and Dowell Elementary School.

OccamsRazor

Because then every time there is a shooting, they catch an earful about how if they didn't waste time giving tickets they could save a life. Thats why you generally see traffic enforcement on Sat or Sunday morning when your miscreants are asleep. And they can try rack up some points towards getting more enforcement grant money that pays for overtime to be spent on enforcement. Sort of a self licking ice cream cone. Doesnt really make anyone safer but all involved get good press release material.
More grant money for enforcement that ISN'T happening? Why hasn't anyone asked where this "grant money" is going if the enforcement is lacking?

glhs837

Power with Control
More grant money for enforcement that ISN'T happening? Why hasn't anyone asked where this "grant money" is going if the enforcement is lacking?
Oh it's happening when you see troopers on the side of the road running radar or laser that's being paid for by grant money. Usually on overtime I believe. Enforcement it happening. It's just not the enforcement that actually makes anybody safer. Judging by the amount of crashes that happen on 235 near Wawa down in the park on Saturday and Sunday morning, we're not going after the problem.

OccamsRazor

Oh it's happening when you see troopers on the side of the road running radar or laser that's being paid for by grant money. Usually on overtime I believe. Enforcement it happening. It's just not the enforcement that actually makes anybody safer. Judging by the amount of crashes that happen on 235 near Wawa down in the park on Saturday and Sunday morning, we're not going after the problem.
So... to summarize...
They are working weekends doing speed enforcement in order to get overtime grant money to perform MORE weekend speed enforcement and both are done in areas and during times when accidents and offenders are at the minimum. Which in turn allows them to get more grant money to continue the cycle. Meanwhile, the majority of offenses are occurring outside of this timeframe which EVERYONE knows and nothing is being done about it.

That about right?

PeoplesElbow

My neighbor recently had a confrontation with a car speeding by quite a lot in our residential neighborhood that has a 25 mph limit.

I just don't understand what everyone's big hurry is, especially driving through a residential neighborhood where kids are playing and riding their bikes.

3CATSAILOR

Wife and I play the game drunk or cell phone all the time behind people. They exhibit a lot of the same characteristics, but at 10:00 a.m it's a pretty safe bet. It's a cell phone that's causing them to drift from side to side and over correct or under correct in corners. But when I'm on the bike I see them all the time. My bike's fairly tall so I'm looking down into all the cars and most of the smaller SUVs
Yeah, it is essentially a no brainer. I realize there are some drugged or drunk drivers mixed in. But, nothing compared to the cell phone problem in all of Southern Maryland. Plainly put, people are addicted to their phones.

3CATSAILOR

You know, if the Sheriff and county committed to using the money from speed cameras to fund more real traffic enforcement I could be okay with that. But they wouldn't. Calvert spent their +400k on drones and armored vehicles upkeep and other slush fund type stuff.

Instead we get this bs justification that somehow, against all the research. They expect these things to have a halo effect. They never do. And if they really stopped speeding even in their zone, the program would end due to lack of revenue to pay the contractor.
Here in St. Mary's, I told the County Commissoiners they need a Inspector General for waste, fraud and abuse. Someone to protect the taxpayer dollar. - Our money. It went over like a lead balloon. The idea was not to be critical of any employee or them. It was just someone to show the Commissioners this is where the money that was allocated went or didn't go to but was supposed to. They can decide as the Commissioner Body to do something about it or let it sit as is. The shot it down as fast as possible. Does this sound like they really care what happens to the taxpayer dollars? I think they do. But it is more likely they are scared to death what they would find out from an IG. For example, have you looked at the unspent funding by the BOE and they are still begging for more money?

3CATSAILOR

So... to summarize...
They are working weekends doing speed enforcement in order to get overtime grant money to perform MORE weekend speed enforcement and both are done in areas and during times when accidents and offenders are at the minimum. Which in turn allows them to get more grant money to continue the cycle. Meanwhile, the majority of offenses are occurring outside of this timeframe which EVERYONE knows and nothing is being done about it.

That about right?
But it is typically safer for the police officers around that time frame. No one wants some idiot to hit them.

ginwoman

My neighbor recently had a confrontation with a car speeding by quite a lot in our residential neighborhood that has a 25 mph limit.

I just don't understand what everyone's big hurry is, especially driving through a residential neighborhood where kids are playing and riding their bikes.
They are not thinking about kids....they are thinking about themselves :(

luvmygdaughters

What about the ones that have to do 100 mph thru a damn parking lot!!! Idiots!!!!! Our street is the same way, there are always kids playing and riding bikes and these jerkwagons have to do 50 going thru there just so they can slam on the brakes into the parking spot!!

3CATSAILOR

What about the ones that have to do 100 mph thru a damn parking lot!!! Idiots!!!!! Our street is the same way, there are always kids playing and riding bikes and these jerkwagons have to do 50 going thru there just so they can slam on the brakes into the parking spot!!
We have a lot of deer on our back road that tend to slow people down. They seem to do a much better job than a police officer. The faster you go, the more your car has a chance of being totaled and of the driver being injured. Drivers that go fast know they have to assume the risk. I was coming back from the dump in my truck the other day. I was going slow in case any deer were around. This time, wild turkeys decided to attack my truck. I have no idea why. They are a bit taller than I thought they would be. I moved through them slowly I didn't want to injure them although they were quite agressive.

3CATSAILOR

Yep, but don't worry, the Sheriffs gonna add some speed cameras that will magically make people put down their phones and not fail to yield. Asa long as we don't enforce the law on distracted driving, all the speed cameras in the world wont help. Well, except to add hundreds of thousands to the Sheriffs budget like it does in Calvert. .
I wonder if the revenue is taxed like the rest of us are?

glhs837

Power with Control
So, I went to see how other places are spending.

DESCRIPTION OF TYPE OF SPEED MONITORING SYSTEM [SMS] USED: Model/serial numbers are listed in the body of the report.
TOTAL # of SYSTEMS [CAMERAS] in speed monitoring system program. 1
TOTAL # of Speed Monitoring System Citations issued in FISCAL YEAR. 21,700
EXPENDITURES INCURRED by the program.
$930,267.00
GROSS REVENUE generated by speed monitoring program.
$701,412.00
NET REVENUE GENERATED by the program.
-$228,855.00
TOTAL AMOUNT OF ANY PAYMENTS TO CONTRACTOR under the program.
$462,017.00
NUMBER OF EMPLOYEES OF LOCAL JURISDICTION involved in program.
TOTAL "ERRONEOUS" CITATIONS REPORTED.
DESCRIPTION OF HOW NET REVENUE WAS USED: Revenue fuds public safety expenditures in the Takoma Park
Police Department. All financial information was provided by the Takoma Park Financial Officer

So, when you start looking at the reports places submit, you have to wonder why nobody raises any questions. Take Takoma Park

One camera

System grossed 700K

Contractor gets 460K

3 city employees "involved" in the program.

Somehow, though, the program incurred 930K in expenditures resulting in the net revenue being -228K

Report states revenue funds "public safety expenditures".

So what this really means is that this one camera netted the police 240K in extra cash, but they report it as if the system cost them 220K.

I'll just wait for next week's thread complaining about traffic enforcement.

I'll always complain about Saturday or Sunday morning enforcement on route 235 between the base and San Souci.

glhs837

Power with Control
I don't know what they did with it. As it was there were two within a mile of each other at the Catholic school and at the public Elementary.

As I noted, they move them, they dont remove them.

The speed cameras will be moved randomly between the school zones.  As a courtesy, the locations of the cameras are posted on the Calvert County Sheriff’s Office website and Facebook page. 
  1. Huntingtown Elementary School
  1. Northern High School
  1. Northern Middle School
  1. Dowell Elementary School
  1. Mt. Harmony Elementary School
  1. Windy Hill Elementary School
  1. Calvert Country School
  1. Mutual Elementary School
  1. Mill Creek Middle School
  1. Cardinal Hickey Academy
  1. St. Leonard Elementary

As noted. they above are all the places a camera could be.

Right now, they are at the below locations, which has seven listed, although maybe some are co-located. The 2023 report said they only had five cameras, so maybe they got more?

The current automated speed camera enforcement sites are located at
1. Northern Middle School Northern High School,
2. Windy Hill Elementary School
3. The Calverton School,
4. Huntingtown Elementary School
5. Calvert Country School
6. Mt. Harmony Elementary School
7. Dowell Elementary School.