ACCIDENTS KEEP PILING UP

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
When I went to check the PO Box Friday about 13:30, there was one in front of the Shell station across from Gate 1.

3CATSAILOR

Accidents keep piling up. I guess it has become something we accept as part of the risk. Last Thursday on 235 I was headed North bound in the St. James area. A car came head on in my lane. I got out of the way barely in time. Most people don't survive head ons. Later on and in to the evening on the way home, I observed at least ten vehicles going across the white line and on to the shoulder and back. A guy was driving down the shoulder instead of the road. He eventually came back on the road. Everywhere you turn, you hear on the radio, on line News, the Enterprise and the County Times and even every now and then the Washington D.C. TV stations about a single vehicle that went off of the road in Southern Maryland and hit a tree, a car or a house. Usually folks do not survive these type of accidents.

That used to be called driving too fast for conditions. Must not apply to bus drivers.
I have seen bus after bus not stopping at Spring Ridge Middle School for the stop sign all the time. I have never seen any police enforcement for it.

3CATSAILOR

So, how do we reduce this stuff?
As you know, the MSP is the primary agency for the highways. The Sheriff's Office does some. But, as everyone can see, it isn't enough. Even with the occasional grants for extra enforcement, it is merely a drop in the bucket. The State and our County has to decide one way or another if they want to get serious about stopping all of the bloodshed. Until they do, it will continue and most likely get worse.

Reactions: TPD

glhs837

Power with Control
Accidents or speed limits?

Speed limits rarely make a difference. The standard way to set speed limits is to let people drive, then measure the 85th percentile speed then set that as the limit. Look as the accidents we see. Leaving the roadway, failure to yield, crossing the centerline. These crashes are usually not caused by speed.

Limits around here are actually a bit lower than they should be.

Shoot stupid drivers on the spot.
And (as Vera always says) put their head on a pike.

I"m listening, but what about maybe just shaming them? Maybe a headshot on a pole?

As you know, the MSP is the primary agency for the highways. The Sheriff's Office does some. But, as everyone can see, it isn't enough. Even with the occasional grants for extra enforcement, it is merely a drop in the bucket. The State and our County has to decide one way or another if they want to get serious about stopping all of the bloodshed. Until they do, it will continue and most likely get worse.

See, I'm not so sure that grants bring "extra" enforcement. I think maybe that's the only enforcement. I also think that the type of enforcement we do isn't the type of enforcement that's going to deter the behavior that's causing crashes. Advertised enforcement waves on holiday weekends and check points. Speed enforcement on Saturday and Sunday morning....... Otherwise its pretty much targeted towards vehicles that they suspect has "real" criminals in it.

Distracted driving and poor driving like unsafe lane changes and failing to yield. Spend some serious time on those and I'll think they are really wanting to deter the most dangerous behaviors.

3CATSAILOR

Accidents keep piling up. I guess it has become something we accept as part of the risk. Last Thursday on 235 I was headed North bound in the St. James area. A car came head on in my lane. I got out of the way barely in time. Most people don't survive head ons. Later on and in to the evening on the way home, I observed at least ten vehicles going across the white line and on to the shoulder and back. A guy was driving down the shoulder instead of the road. He eventually came back on the road. Everywhere you turn, you hear on the radio, on line News, the Enterprise and the County Times and even every now and then the Washington D.C. TV stations about a single vehicle that went off of the road in Southern Maryland and hit a tree, a car or a house. Usually folks do not survive these type of accidents.
I knew it would get worse. But, not this quickly. I counted EIGHT St. Mary's accidents on Southern Maryland News. Good Lord!!! I do admit, there is not one day that goes by when I am driving on either 235 or 5 that there isn't someone driving all over the road. At least they don't come head on in to me as they have done every so often. It is terrible to say that I have now come to expect seeing an accident or someone driving all over the road. I think it has become that bad. And unforunately, no end in sight.

Grumpy

So, how do we reduce this stuff?
Me thinks you would get, at least, a 50% reduction in one car accidents by having a cell disabler in the car. Also, maybe it's just me, but I think cell usage is way ahead of drunk driving as a cause of most accidents. The funny thing is most people that I know agree that texting is a probable cause of a lot of accidents yet if I go anyway with them driving, they all text and drive..classic it won't happen to me-ism.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Maybe not open new roads like Tom Hodges with a crossover. Have them leave those back neighborhoods at controlled intersections.
I've used that access point since day one and have never had a problem.
Me thinks you would get, at least, a 50% reduction in one car accidents by having a cell disabler in the car. Also, maybe it's just me, but I think cell usage is way ahead of drunk driving as a cause of most accidents. The funny thing is most people that I know agree that texting is a probable cause of a lot of accidents yet if I go anyway with them driving, they all text and drive..classic it won't happen to me-ism.
I never text and drive. Only at a red light.

TPD

the poor dad
Looks like this kid has had some DUIs and other traffic citations prior to this incident. And only 22 years old.

Tech

She may not have expected a sport bike going way over the speed limit either.
But it's still her responsibility to ensure that the roadway is safe prior to entering the highway even if the idiot was speeding.

glhs837

Power with Control
But it's still her responsibility to ensure that the roadway is safe prior to entering the highway even if the idiot was speeding.
Sure is. But the human brain can only comprehend and understand so much. You can't really judge the speed of a motorcycle going say 120. And intersection that's only unsafe when someone more than doubles the speed limit, that's not an unsafe intersection.